Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I think that ATI will match Fermi release with drivers alone

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 21, 2010 9:28:09 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to EXT64 for the advice on CCC 10.3a. Good performance increase with beta driver. If Nvidia is touting 10 to 15% over the 5870, ATI just made up half that ground, based on my jump in performance, with drivers alone.

I hate to sound like a fan boy, but I have been skeptical of Nvidia and all the hype.

March 22, 2010 12:57:58 AM

just remember that NV will probably gets boosts from later drivers as well
March 22, 2010 1:25:36 AM

mindless728 said:
just remember that NV will probably gets boosts from later drivers as well

This is true. I guess the major concern I have is the power consumption and the heat issues of NV's last two releases. Both ATI and NV have their pros and cons, but I think that NV has not overcome these issues for me. From what has been "leaked" I think that they will continue to be concerns for me. Just chalk it up to sweet lemon rational.

I am just as curious about the Fermi release as the next guy.
Related resources
March 22, 2010 10:04:33 AM

ATi always seems to be a step (more like 10 steps) ahead of NV.

Am already not liking NV's yet to be released new gpu, omg, the thing is freaking
long!!

Still waiting to see its promised high delivery, though am not keeping my hopes up!
March 22, 2010 1:48:07 PM

Starges said:

Am already not liking NV's yet to be released new gpu, omg, the thing is freaking
long!!

Still waiting to see its promised high delivery, though am not keeping my hopes up!

Not true Nvidia has been ahead the last few year's becuase the acusation of ATI by AMD kinda threw everything off but before the 2k series and Nvidia's 8 series ATI and Nvidia traded blows every two month's.

I think what is going to happen is Nvidia is going to have to start making these GPU's more efficient or smaller becuase i can't see them making money with a g200 all over again and again and again. They are still using g92 part's for low end and that's like 2 year old hardware!

Only thing for sure is something is going to happen to change the way they are making there GPU's.
March 22, 2010 2:51:52 PM

Long? Have you seen 5970 :D 
March 22, 2010 3:39:03 PM

rawsteel said:
Long? Have you seen 5970 :D 

I hear the new DX 11 NV card is going to be about 13-15cm long (Jus rumours, not confirmed
March 22, 2010 3:46:54 PM

Starges said:
I hear the new DX 11 NV card is going to be about 13-15cm long (Jus rumours, not confirmed

You do realise 15CM is small My 5850 is 9.5" or 24CM long. Maybe you got confused?
a b \ Driver
March 22, 2010 3:48:14 PM

Starges said:

Quote:
The beefier GeForce GTX 480, meanwhile, is the longer of the two at around 267mm in length

Source.

267mm = just over 10.5"
March 22, 2010 4:01:07 PM

Told you it was long!

How long is the 5970??
a b \ Driver
March 22, 2010 4:07:37 PM

Starges said:
Told you it was long!

How long is the 5970??

:lol:  You're the expert why not google it and then let us know what you find out?
a b \ Driver
March 22, 2010 4:18:16 PM

Starges said:

long!!

You had me giggling from this post onwards mate, thanks for that I needed cheering up. :) 
March 22, 2010 4:20:40 PM

Thnx. I Try..... :D 

Best solution

a b \ Driver
March 22, 2010 4:21:05 PM

Yeah, I am looking forward to a good read this Friday (?) no interest in buying the card, but fun to read about nonetheless.

And in regards to an earlier comment of ATI being a step ahead, it is difficult to really say. Let us assume (hypothetically) that after the GTX480 launch, we all agree that ATI is ahead in Games. Does that mean they are "a step ahead"? Not necessarily, because I'm not even sure if the two are even walking on the same road anymore. NVidia is clearly thinking their market will swing to computing and PC gaming will slow down a bit. Not a terrible prediction in my opinion considering what we have been seeing in new games recently. Very few demanding PC only games are doing well. A console refresh might rejuvenate things, but for now things aren't looking great.
March 25, 2010 10:17:22 PM

EXT64, I am hoping for a rejuvenation of PC games. I was looking over my steam account and reloaded Half Life 2, Episode 1 and 2. I just wanted to see what these DX9c games would look like with 5770 in CF. These are still gorgeous games. I know the buzz about DX11, and can see it's benefits in Unigine's Heaven benchmark, I hope that game developers run with tessellation. So much for a look, I haven't stopped playing the HL2 series.

That's the main reason I spend the money for the hardware, to see exactly what the CG artist's vision is. Consoles remind me of a Xerox of the Mona Lisa by comparison.

I am looking forward to the next few days to see what all the hypes was about, and hope that the two paths do not diverge, and leave us with no healthy competition that we all benefit from.
a b \ Driver
March 25, 2010 10:42:14 PM

Well, that is the problem. In a lot of games, the "art", the creativity, seems gone. There are certainly bright points here and there, but in general, I think the enormous cost of producing games these days is scaring developers into a herd mentality. They only want to produce a blockbuster (or what they think will be one) since that is the only thing that will cover costs. If you think back (way back) to the DOS days you'll see what I mean. There, they had no flashy graphics. All there was was the game. And creativity too (crazy at times, but definitely creative). And I'm not saying I have given up on computer gaming (otherwise I wouldn't be here), it just is kind of depressing thinking what has been lost.
March 25, 2010 11:02:06 PM

Yeh, Nvidia failing so hard bother's me.

I wanted to buy a new card, and I was hoping I would be able to get an Nvidia card. But after literally 5 minutes of research, It became painfully obvious that ATI was the better option, and I had no way to justify buying an Nvidia card. So I was forced into buying an ATI 4870, and now i'm having to end my brand allegiance to Nvidia, and but myself an ATI card.

I was extreamly pissed off that Nvidia forced my into buying an ATI card.

And honeslty, I suspect MouseMoney has the same problem/anger right now.
March 25, 2010 11:16:29 PM

The earliest I can remember is playing Doom on a 486 I think. The next memorable one was Quake Arena III, the graphics just blew me away. (still have it loaded on my laptop). I guess I am more impressed with the look of the game. I find my self stopping in game just to look around in awe. I really started enjoying games when the "mechanical" feel started to fade. I don't expect realism, I actually love over saturated surrealism. The completely destructible environment in BC2 seemed less real than previous games, and much too pastel and washed out. Strange to think back on the technology. (sigh)

I'm gonna get back to fragin' combine.
a b \ Driver
March 25, 2010 11:54:54 PM

builderbobftw said:
And honeslty, I suspect MouseMoney has the same problem/anger right now.

Actually I don't, for one I had no intention of buying into this gen and for two I have been around for long enough to know that in the grand scheme of things there is always room for a glitch in the time line and schedule that some of the newer members to our ranks seem to have gotten used to over the last few releases.

The only bummer for me is hoping that my four year old rig can keep up with things and doesn't go bang.
March 26, 2010 12:04:59 AM

So it doesn't piss you of that Nvidia can't prefrom right now, and god forbid, looks to be droping out of the Graphics picture althogheter?
March 26, 2010 12:06:31 AM

To add to being forced to go ATI, lol. 6 months ago, the landscape was very different.
Yes the ATI cards were just coming on scene, but GTX 260's were available as low as 120 AR. Best Buy was running sales about every 3rd week on different models. The 250 for 100-110, the gtx 260 130-140. When I put together my first new rig in many years, I only had budget room for about a 100 dollars, so I went with the 4770. Over the 250/260 because of price and the 40nm ,'new tech'. Watching the prices SOAR on the gtx260 these last couple months is almost surreal.
March 26, 2010 12:26:20 AM

When I got my card, I had the choice bewteen a used GTX 260 for 180$ on Ebay, or my Rqadeon 4870 for 93$ (but the average is like 120$, I got a steal of a card...Untill it broke on me).

You know what I chose.
a b \ Driver
March 26, 2010 12:44:28 AM

builderbobftw said:
So it doesn't piss you of that Nvidia can't prefrom right now, and god forbid, looks to be droping out of the Graphics picture althogheter?

Tbh if you asked that about a year ago I most likely would've agreed with you and gone off on a tangent about what I thought they were going to do, but when the chipset noise started again and then with the Fermi announcement I saw that there was maybe a plan but it may just be a bit more forward thinking than I'd given credit for because it was about this time last year that we knew of the 4770 with it's 40nm die shrink and just the rumour of Nv doing something on 40nm but no real word as to what and for one was beginning to wonder if they had given up at about that point and were just going to concentrate on the mobile space with Tegra and Ion but it seems as though they are still reading from the GPGPU script that they have been preaching from for quite some years now and this upcoming card may be the first incarnation of the new breed of cards that they've been banging on about.
a b \ Driver
March 26, 2010 2:05:00 AM

Henry, I agree 100% about the graphics these days. They truly are amazing. Now if someone could just mix them with a semi decent plot that is more than just blowing the head off a zombie/alien/person.
March 26, 2010 3:12:28 AM

EXT64 said:
Henry, I agree 100% about the graphics these days. They truly are amazing. Now if someone could just mix them with a semi decent plot that is more than just blowing the head off a zombie/alien/person.

HL2:EP3, Portal 2....
March 26, 2010 2:49:24 PM

I just install the CCC 10.3 release driver and saw a nominal decrease over 10.3a.

Unigine Heaven with:
10.3a Frames 75.1, Score 1891
10.3 Frames 74.7, Score 1881

I know that this is not earth shattering, but I'm going to revert.

I have enjoyed both the Dragon Age Origin, and Mass Effect 2 titles from Bioware. I think they do it right also.

And yes Mindless728, I am still waiting for more, from Valve, Haven't seen anything since the "Lost Coast" Demo. I have read rumors.....

March 26, 2010 6:23:06 PM

Hey MouseMoneky, great news, they had some GTX 480 benches up(removed from the site were theyt were) , and it looks as if it may be a maybe sort of kinda competitive-ish product!

I was afriad NV was completly gone from the picture.....
a b \ Driver
March 26, 2010 6:52:53 PM

I really don't think you have to worry about them going away unless they want to go away. Despite what some may say around here, the still have an extremely capable and bright design group and will get it done.
March 26, 2010 7:38:38 PM

EXT64 said:
away unless they want to go away. .

That's the problem, the fear is that NV will abandon desktop gaming (cuase there getting ownd there now), and work mostly in mobile Ion and Tegra stuff, and Tesla and corporate work.
March 26, 2010 8:03:12 PM

henrystrawn said:
I just install the CCC 10.3 release driver and saw a nominal decrease over 10.3a.

Unigine Heaven with:
10.3a Frames 75.1, Score 1891
10.3 Frames 74.7, Score 1881

I know that this is not earth shattering, but I'm going to revert.

I have enjoyed both the Dragon Age Origin, and Mass Effect 2 titles from Bioware. I think they do it right also.

And yes Mindless728, I am still waiting for more, from Valve, Haven't seen anything since the "Lost Coast" Demo. I have read rumors.....

I read that ATI went live with 10.3a beta drivers to 10.3 final. Meaning they are exactly the same.
a b \ Driver
March 26, 2010 8:26:03 PM

I think that the 10.3a are actually a little newer. Though I'm not sure where I saw that.
March 26, 2010 8:46:19 PM

They are the same.

AMD is good with reallsing the same product under diffrent names, 965 anoyne?

For the record, Nvidia has perfected that partucular game....
March 26, 2010 11:44:50 PM

builderbobftw said:
They are the same.

AMD is good with reallsing the same product under diffrent names, 965 anoyne?

For the record, Nvidia has perfected that partucular game....

The only major change that I have done to my system is install Gigabyte's Dynamic Energy Saver Advanced, so I could see the cool little LEDs on the Motherboard. I shut down Object Dock, and Deskspace before the tests. Hmmm.......
March 31, 2010 12:37:49 AM

Best answer selected by henrystrawn.
!