1050t vs 1090t - Worth100$Diference?- 0.4mhz difference -

G

Hey guys as title says there is just 0.4 mhz difference, some say it worth some not...
1055t= 2.8ghz price:205$ | 1090t = 3.2ghz price:305$ Worth?
could you please post here which would you buy and why. Thanks :)

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Performance wise, there is a difference. Overall the 1090 bests the 1055 by about 7 - 10 %.
Who would buy what, depends on the kind of $ he/she can throw. If you can afford the 1090, get it; on a budget, the 1055; it's as simple as that.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
You pay a premium for unlocked multipliers, even with AMD. Granted the premium isn't as high as it is for Intel chips, but it's still there.

Also don't forget you're paying extra for the quality of the silicon itself - all Black Edition chips will be binned to ensure they're of a higher-than-standard quality to ensure they can handle the overclocking the unlocked multipler allows.

loneninja

Distinguished
I would prefer the 1090 for the unlocked multiplier, but I may cave in and get a 1055 instead. Than again, by the time I have money for either, Bulldozer may just be right around the corner and I'll skip X6. lol

Ok now that just getting annoying with bulldozer already.

Few things,

1. What if the person needing the cpu now? From what im aware of (unless something change with AMD schedule), bulldozer wont be around for another 5 to 6 months at the soonest. It maybe longer up to a year.

2. we dont have any performance or price numbers to think about a cpu with the Bulldozer arch. For all we know, AMD may take the performance lead and thus taking intel pricing scheme. Making intel have better price/performance ratio cpus (like what AMD has now).

So lets not bring up bulldozer to everything about future cpus and/or cpu buys. As most of us on here say, Get the what you need now as there will always be something better later.

Anyways as for the original question,
Hey guys as title says there is just 0.4 mhz difference, some say it worth some not...
1055t= 2.8ghz price:205$ | 1090t = 3.2ghz price:305$ Worth?
could you please post here which would you buy and why. Thanks :)

Well it kind is and isn't worth it for either. It depend on what you need out of the system.

Reason to get 1090T:

Easier to overclock (due to unlock multi),

Higher stock speed (for those that dont like to overclock but want the fastest cpu),

same power consumption as 1055t at higher speeds,

(may have this wrong but if i remember right) can achive slightly higher speeds than 1055t went overclocked.

Reason to get 1055t:

Cheaper

Can be overclocked to achive the same speeds as the 1090T.

Extra money that was saved can be put towards better gpu, ssd, more and/or faster ram.

Now which would i buy between the 2. For what i do, i would go after the 1055T as i can overclock it to the 1090t speeds and get it at a cheaper price. thus that would give me extra money to put it toward something else like maybe better GPU or an ssd.

SSD would improve overall system performance or a GPU can can improve games and/or gpgpu (General Processing on a GPU (graphic processing unit)) performance.

Now if you're rendering or something else that cpu intensive but doesn't use anything else much, then maybe 1090t.

G

Hmm i was thinking give use for mainly in gaming.. just another question about oc , it is kind permanent? like you change frequency in bios os something that when pc boots it gets +% chosen previously or i need to do it 'manualy' with programs all time i want to "boost" reply plz

Hmm i was thinking give use for mainly in gaming.. just another question about oc , it is kind permanent? like you change frequency in bios os something that when pc boots it gets +% chosen previously or i need to do it 'manualy' with programs all time i want to "boost" reply plz

Well with an overclock, you change the setting in the bios. Which will keep that setting until either 1 of 3 things.

1. you manually change it back

2. reset the bios

3. cmos battery dies, reverting the bios setting back.

So in a way, yes it's permanent but yet it's not.

But in no way it's dependent of the program you're using unless the motherboard you're looking into has a feature on it that does that. Like some Asus motherboard have Turbo key:

Turbo Key II
Switch on the Potential, Turn up the Performance!
Enjoy superb performance by auto-tuning your processor to an extreme yet stable state. Simply activate a dedicated switch on the motherboard to unleash extra processing capabilities.

Only things the are dependent on programs that the Phenom ii x6 has it cool 'n' quiet and turbo core.

Cool 'n' quite: Slows down cpu when not in use. Saving power and reducing heat.

Turbo core (new feature of AMD cpus) With the x6's: when 3 or less cores are stress to the max, this features temporarily overclocks the 3 cores by 0.5Ghz (500 MHz). This last until the program is done or the cpu get to hot and must return to stock speeds.

So there yeah have it. :)

Hope this helps and i forgot to say earlier,

Welcome to the Forums :hello:

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
If you're predominantly gaming I wouldn't even bother with a 6-core - a lot of games don't make use of 4 cores, let alone 6. Grab a Phenom II X4 955 BE and a good cooler and give it a good overclock.

You can always drop in a X6 if you need the cores later.

:non:

Thats like saying the same thing with sandybridge....... We dont have anything info like price and performace to say that or not. All we have on it is this article and it's only about how the core system works.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2881

And number of cores doesn't always equal better performance.

G

But for the future, like 3-4 years Games will require more or will be enought with x4?

But for the future, like 3-4 years Games will require more or will be enought with x4?

Well if you view this way...

There had quad core cpus out for consumers for like 3 years now and game makers are just now starting to uses tri core and quad cores to there advantage. So i would guess it would take about the same amount of time just to start using 6 cores on average. By the time that happens, 8+ cores will be the normal cpu. ;)

G

So you recomend me amd 965 be 3.4ghz?for gaming?hmmm.... like 4 years that will be good for gaming?

G

Where can you see it? i only can see 1090t with 3.2 ghz with better fps are you sure?what 'metallifux' said isn´t correct?shouldn´t i follow his advice?

NO NO NO avoid the 965 C3. The 1055T is better clock for clock and can be overclocked easily to 4+GHz. Plus its only like 30 dollars more. Thuban > Denab

At 3.2Ghz the X6 pulls better fps then a 965 at 3.4Ghz. Get the 1055T, overclock it past 965 levels.

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/amdphenomiix6_042610231918/22634.png

Hmm... thats an intresting result. :heink:

Maybe the driver/bios issue be resolved as when the cpu's first came out, gaming performance for the 1090t was lower the the equivalently clock x4 955 (at least on the majority of sites that i saw).

Although i dont think that there better clock for clock as last i check, it was the same clock for clock performance. I think thats turbo core kicking in giving a small boost :whistle: