Memory conundrum. Help please

skyryan

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Hey guys,

I was wondering if somebody would be kind enough to direct me in the right direction. My computer is currently running with Intel Desktop Board D915GAV. I know that the hardware is pretty ancient, but anyway.

I have tried to find information as to what type and the maximum amount of memory my motherboard is able to take. However, I'm just a little confused with piecing all of the information together.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d915gav/sb/CS-027070.htm

From my understanding, the motherboard is able to a maximum of 4GB of memory with either a DDR400 or DDR333 SDRAM right? But since my motherboard only has 2 memory slots, trying to find 2x2GB DDR333/DDR400 memories seems to be futile. I just can't find anyone on eBay and the likes selling a 2GB DDR333/DDR400.

So is there something I am missing? Like am I able to get a 2x2GB DDR2 and it will automatically act as a DDR or is it a case of I'm just stuck with 2x1GB since the 2GB DDR333/DDR400 was never really developed?

Thank you very much for your time and help.
Much appreciated.
Rian

Intel's own Technical Product Specification document for the D915GAV shows that it has
■Four DDR SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets.
■Support for DDR 400 MHz and DDR 333 MHz DIMMs
■Support for up to 4 GB of system memory

Was your statement "But since my motherboard only has 2 memory slots" verified by opening up the case and examining the motherboard or just pure speculation?

Going by Intel's own documentation you just need to fill all four memory slots with 1 GB modules with a 2.6 Volt operating voltage. These are still available.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

skyryan

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
My mistake.

I did open up the case and did find 4 memory slots were available. However, since the memory slots are colour-coded, 2 are blue and 2 are black, and the 2 memories currently installed are in the blue slots only, I stupidly assumed that the other 2 unused slots were for the older gen memories. Didn't even think to check out to see if they were all the same slots. *doh*

Thanks for clearing that up ko888. I appreciate all of your help.

Rian

skyryan

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
For the dual-channel operation to work, must I only use the memories you linked me to in Newegg or can it be any 2 identical memories installed in the same colour slots? Because as much as I would love to buy from Newegg since the prices are awesome, I'm located in Australia so I am not so lucky.

Also, I know that link you gave me clearly said 2.6V (only) DDR memories, but in the link to Crucial, it said that a 2.5V memory are also compatible. What gives?

Ohh and finally, is there any difference between high density and low density DDR? Which one should I get?

Once again, thank you for your time and help.

Rian

Yes there is an architectural difference between high density and low density DDR.

Intel indicates low density. Density here refers to the number of megabits per SDRAM chip.

You can usually differentiate between high density and low density DDR by looking at the number of memory chips on each side of the memory module's circuit board.

High density DDR will usually have only 4 SDRAM memory chips on one side or 8 SDRAM memory chips in total with 4 SDRAM memory chips on each side.

Low density DDR will have 8 SDRAM memory chips on one side or 16 SDRAM memory chips in total with 8 SDRAM memory chips on each side.

Using the high density DDR when the motherboard is only able to use low density DDR usually results in only half the memory capacity of the high density module being recognized due to the different row and column addressing used between the different SDRAM chip types.