Samsung 830 128GB or Kingston Hyperx 3K, what to buy?

und3rtaker

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
So as the title says, im choosing between those two SSD Disks. Which one do you guys recommend more? I am also thinking about Vertex 4. Id use it mostly as a windows partition and more significant programs, maybe for 3 games tops.

Thats it, thanks for anwsers! ;)

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I'm partial to Kingston out of those, mainly for support reasons, but if I'm completely honest, it's splitting hairs, they're all good. :)

Out of those, if I were in your shoes, I'd base it on price and more importantly price/GB; get the most capacity you can for cheapest. The SSD price war does appear to be taking place... I'm waiting one more week to see if the prices drop even more and then I'll be buying 2 of the 3k's (for the wife and kids' laptops).

und3rtaker

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Do you happen to have any other suggestions for SSD Disk or any personal experiences with SSD's?
I will probably go with your suggestions.

Thank you!

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Some of the SSDs I either own(ed) or have used in custom builds for family/friends or tested for work:

Corsair:
Force series 3: Good/great - tested medium term

Intel:
Any model: Good/great. Most expensive, but they are the design leaders... the OEM chosen by the big boys (EMC, IBM, etc). Therefore out of most of our price ranges, especially when the others can deliver what we need for cheaper.
520, 3x0 series are more for the home/enthusiast. 700-series enterprise/back-office. 910-just awesome, but the price of a nice car.

Kingston:
E & M series aka Intel E&M series (discontinued): great - 4 in total, used in my primary home system
V100: not so good - suffers dramatic write performance degradation over time. Used one for about 2mo before I asked for a refund. Long story.
V200: eh, ok - just ok. Part of the long story above. :)
V200+: Good/great - built a few systems with this, and all customers are still happy.
HyperX 3k: Great - Friend has had one for a few weeks in his main laptop, loves it, buying 2 of these next week or week after as I stated earlier

OCZ:
Vertex 3: Great - Used in my work laptop for about a year, and a couple friends using it
Vertex 4: Assume Great - hear good things from coworkers and people in this forum, as well as I have built 1 system recently with this.

Samsung:
830: Great - a couple in my work workstation for a couple months. Also hear great success stories in these forums and elsewhere

There's more, but I won't bore you... As I said before, go with one of the 3 you're already interested in, buy the largest your budget can afford, and pick the manufacturer based on the best deal you can find. :)

In the unlikely event you have an unlimited budget, we need to change the conversation some (e.g., Intel's 910, Fusion IOdrive, OCZs RevoDrive). But you're going from 3-figures to 4 or 5 figures in cost...

rdzona

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah they are both great honestly as others have been saying and really when it gets to that point its all about price per GB as far as I'm concerned. And no one has been able to touch the Crucial M4's in that department. They've been consistently having deals on the 128gb for $100 and the 256gb for even as low as $200. Also SanDisk Extreme are great drives that have been having really good deals too lately.

The only thing I would stick with is a drive that uses Synchronous NAND vs Asynchronous. This is a pretty good review site.

http://www.storagereview.com/best_drives

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
As the last couple posts have indicated, this is going to be the summer of SSD. Pricing is dropping fast, and I'm pretty sure it's going to stay this way for the next 3 mo. (a good thing! :) )
So if you're on the fence, this should hopefully sway you go join the SSD camp. :)

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57421234-263/ssd-prices-may-drop-following-impending-price-war/

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/are_we_ssd_price_war

http://www.guru3d.com/news/price-war-in-the-ssd-market-is-starting/

Performance and reliability seem pretty close to the same for Samsung 830's and Curcial m4's (have both) so use price to base Buy on.

Kingston - Do Not Own, But would go by psaus's comments. Again in real life usage not enought diff between M4's and 830's Only in benchmarks and we all know these should not be used, unless it is based On real programs or on PCMark vantage benchmark.

OCZ vertex 4, Would stay away from!!. Currently they have not developed a method of Updating the Lastest Firmware that A) does not require an ALREAD installed OS on a Different drive, and B) is NOT self dissructive. Personally, Not concerned about OCZ SSD performance, as I do NOT recommend OCZ, Until they respect their coustomers!!!

+ 1 on the stay away from OCZ vertex 4 my cousin bought two and totally regrets it customer service said they would only replace them with working ones problem is none work and they won't admit it one agent even hung up on him twice then they played the please hold game for a few hours so my cousin said to hell with it took them out to the trash and said to me live and learn right bud :pfff: i said yeah i guess :lol:

und3rtaker

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
What in your opinion is better to take Kingston HyperX 3k or Kingston HyperX because of their performance degradation after some time? I personally will use it to store Windows and to game...

kwilson408

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Kingston for sure! 3K = 3000 Program/Erase cycles. Say you bought a 240gb and wrote 10gb per day to the thing you'd still get 8 years out of the thing before it dies.

Samsung is great too. 1. 840 Pro is awesome except for the price 2. 830 is awesome and would be my 2nd choice behind Kingston HyperX

OCZ is a problem child. I have this feeling they're gonna be bought out. if you bought OCZ you're gonna regret any warranty claims. However, they are cheap and if you're a gambler then go for it.

That's my 2 cents.

--K

netcommercial

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
With SSD's it all depends on your application. Then after deciding your application you then select the best controller for that application. Here is the painstakingly part. You have to read. Games are good with Sandforce controllers. Cheap and used by reputable companies like the "big boys" If you are needing a good SSD for handling Non compressible files. like video then Marvel or Samsung 830 version is good. The diff between an 830 and a 840 sammy is the way it writes and erases. The 830 has a track record of many Read and writes without collapse or failure. All you Gamers who are buying up these 830 Sammy's are not doing your pocket books any favors. Transcend, Intel, Kingston, Crucial all will rock your computer with a warranty to boot. <--no pun intended. All you gamers have gone nutz buying up the 830's a soon to be discontinued product and pushing up the price on a higher priced SSD in the first place.