Sign in with
Your question

Finalizing budget pc build

Last response: in Systems
April 11, 2010 8:42:21 PM

so i am wanting to get back into pc gaming and i have picked out most of what i need but i want some feedback on what im getting to make sure its all a good buy.

i already have a radeon hd4850 sapphire 100245L graphics card so i dont need to buy one.

i do want to overclock and possibly crossfire in the eventual future

April 11, 2010 8:47:25 PM

Looks good, except your PSU is overkill
April 12, 2010 2:12:25 PM

Overall, it's decent.

I would leave out the thermal compound, especially since I don't see a massive heatsink in there. If you're not overclocking (which you'll need an aftermarket HSF if you wan to), the stock cooling comes with thermal paste pre-applied. So adding your own is not necessary. If you do get an aftermarket cooler, most come with compound pre-applied as well. That will be good enough unless you're trying to break an overclocking record.

I would also get a cheaper optical. There isn't any real performance differences, so just get the cheapest one you can find. (like this one).

I agree that the PSU is likely overkill, but that depends on what GPU you're using. If you've got the HD 5770 or lower, a 650W would be fine (assuming you plan to Crossfire). If you've got the HD 5850 or higher, the 750W would be better. I would look at this good 650W: Antec Earthwatts 650W.

Finally, with all of that, I would drop the case fan and get a better case, like the Coolermaster 690.

I also think that you can get faster RAM as well (if my math is right). These G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 are excellent.
April 13, 2010 12:11:13 AM

MadAdmiral said:
Overall, it's decent.

I would leave out the thermal compound, especially since I don't see a massive heatsink in there. If you're not overclocking (which you'll need an aftermarket HSF if you wan to), the stock cooling comes with thermal paste pre-applied. So adding your own is not necessary. If you do get an aftermarket cooler, most come with compound pre-applied as well. That will be good enough unless you're trying to break an overclocking record.

I would also get a cheaper optical. There isn't any real performance differences, so just get the cheapest one you can find. (like this one).

I agree that the PSU is likely overkill, but that depends on what GPU you're using. If you've got the HD 5770 or lower, a 650W would be fine (assuming you plan to Crossfire). If you've got the HD 5850 or higher, the 750W would be better. I would look at this good 650W: Antec Earthwatts 650W.

Finally, with all of that, I would drop the case fan and get a better case, like the Coolermaster 690.

I also think that you can get faster RAM as well (if my math is right). These G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 are excellent.

thanks! thats the kind of info i was looking for cause this is my first ground up pc build
!