Y500 overclock gt650m? Core Clock locked at 790mhz? Please help! :P

evin_deitrick

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2012
Hello I got a new Lenovo y500 with and Intel i7 and a Nvidia GT650M.
When using any software MSI afterburner, Nvidia Inspector and even EVGA Precision the core clock will not go higher then 790Mhz. Is there a way to work around this?
Also should I even worry about over clocking my i7, I have intel turbo boost already and my loading times are already fast and my frame rates in all the games I play are 60 with vsync from CS:GO->Skyrim on Ultra. Although With photo realism type setups on skyrim i get a drop in my fps and I hope that with some minor overclocking it will run better.
I have o'clocked my MEM to 2906Mhz anything above 2930 starts to tear. Say I did o'clock my core clock to about 850-900Mhz would that cause a good amount of performance?
Also note: My max temp for my gpu was 70 Celsius while using Kombuster. Normal games like BF3 and skyrim are around 60-65 Celsius. So heat isn't an issue atm.
Thanks for your time.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Make sure you are in "Lenovo Dynamic Graphics Mode" Anything else and the card won't overclcok. (at least on my y580). I recommend you decrease the memory clock. Minimal gains and its not really worth it.