Sign in with
Your question

Video went from unreliable to broken - ATi 5850

Last response: in Systems
April 11, 2010 9:52:06 PM

Built this machine about 5 days ago, and at first things were great, till I launched SupCom to test it out and the screen went grey, apparently indefinitely, so I restarted, and installed new graphics drivers - 10.2 I do believe. Since then the machine has grown gradually more unreliable, first crashing more frequently with a grey screen (either plain, or chequered), and drivers failing/being recovered, but then the machine began sometimes failing to display video at all (as in not even posting). At this point, it's been a full day since it last displayed video.

All the fans are spinning, and the mobo lights seem to be functioning correctly, although my lit keyboard and mouse are not illuminating no matter how long I leave the system. Temperatures were all well within acceptable tolerances back when it would boot, even through protracted BF:BC 2 or Empire: Total War sessions.

I've tried all the steps in the stickied guide with no luck, excluding those requiring a speaker - I haven't got one yet, and in the UK these niche components seem harder to come by than in the US.

My system is:

Motherboard: Asus P6X58D Premium
CPU: Intel Core i7 930
GPU: Powercolor ATi Radeon 5850
RAM: 6GB Patriot Viper Tri-Channel DDR3 PC3-12800
PSU: Corsair HX850W

Any help regarding where I should go from here would be super-appreciated.
April 11, 2010 9:53:41 PM

Quote:
ATI

well there's your problem
April 11, 2010 9:56:20 PM

Oh, also might be relevant that three of the fans (one case, one CPU, and one GPU) were all reporting occasionally obviously inaccurate RPM readings; up to and beyond ten or one hundred times what the maximums should have been, truly vast numbers.
Related resources
April 11, 2010 10:18:17 PM

Hey that's an impressive build.. Pure bad luck on the mishap though.. At this point, the video card seems to've taken damage.. There could be many reasons for that starting from a faulty device (not sure since it was working correctly as you said ) to fault in the mobo or in the power cable from the PSU.. Try changing few things to confirm with the faulty part.. You could try fixing the card in any other pci-ex slot.. You could try changing the feeding power cables.. Also give a try booting up with some live OS on CD/DVD like knoppix, ubuntu etc..
April 11, 2010 10:25:00 PM

Thanks very much for the advice so far guys. I'll try your suggestions Emperus, and failing that I'll go with Neoletrix's: "kick yourself for not getting Nvida"....
April 11, 2010 10:46:08 PM

yeah, nvidias never had any issues before. wait, arent they having a driver problem on their newly released 4xx series that causes overheating?!?. nooo, never. /sarcasm

anyway, there was an issue with a driver version that caused grey screen problems on the 58xx cards. if you were me, id reformat, RMA the card, and start from there with a fresh card and a fresh OS install so there wont be any driver-related "what-if's".

April 11, 2010 11:17:11 PM

Okay, looks like I'm out of options, so it's going to have to be a new card.

I didn't want to bring it up before having been out of the desktop game since the ATi x800 days, but certainly my MXM notebook experience with Nvidia - particularly with reference to their driver support - left me cold toward them hence the ATi card.

Anyway, thanks for the support guys, just gotta see about getting that new card now I guess.
April 13, 2010 10:13:42 AM

Okay, don't mean to be resurrecting this, but I just thought I'd update and ask a new question.

Question: How do I mark this as solved?

Anywhom, got a new card today, and none of the issues I had before seem to be back, so hurah. Thanks guys for helping me get to the bottom of this.
April 13, 2010 12:04:39 PM

Quote:

Wait for a couple of days first.
April 13, 2010 4:12:33 PM

mosox said:
Quote:

Wait for a couple of days first.

The thread doesn't mark itself as solved. :lol: 

The thread will be marked as solved when you select a "best answer".
!