Sign in with
Your question

Processor overheating??

Last response: in CPUs
June 20, 2010 4:12:56 PM

Hey everyone,

I just built my first rig this weekend and I think my processor is overheating. I haven't done anything on the computer except install Win7 ultimate, but my computer is crashing at random intervals. I was able to watch a few movies on it last night after a couple crashes, but this morning I can't even turn the thing on without it getting too hot.

- processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
- mobo: MSI P43-C51 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard
- power supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V

I'm using the stock cooling/heating that came with the processor, but I've got a total of 5 fans in my case (which I think are pointed the right way :lol: ). Whenever I boot up into windows, some software that came with my motherboard comes up and tells me that my processor is getting too hot (80-82 C!!) and starts to force a shutdown. I don't know if I've inadvertently changed something or somehow have used MSI's "DOT" to enable some kind of overclocking...

Anyway, here's some monitoring information I pulled out of my BIOS:

CPU Smart FAN Target [55 C]
CPU Min.FAN Speed(%) [87.5]

----- PC Health Status -----
CPU Temperature [82 C / 179 F]
System Temperature [25 C / 77 F]
CPU FAN Speed [1950 RPM]
SYS FAN 1 Speed [0 RPM]
CPU Vcore [1.144 V]
3.3V [3.376 V]
5V [5.129 V]
12V [12.144 V]

If I go to this hardware monitor in my BIOS as soon as I turn the computer on, I can watch the CPU Temperature go from ~55 to 82 at a rate of ~1 degree/sec. Am I missing something? I noticed SYS FAN 1 speed was 0 RPM (and there's nothing plugged into my SYS FAN 1 slot) but I don't see any other cords on the heatsink.

Really hoping someone here can help! I'll be happy to provide any additional details.

Many thanks

More about : processor overheating

a c 190 à CPUs
June 20, 2010 4:22:50 PM

BIOS temp reading is usually quite accurate unfortunately, check to make sure that your heatsink is firmly mounted with the pins locked in place.
m
l
June 20, 2010 4:23:13 PM

1) First of all, get a digital thermometre and read the ACTUAL heat...Your bios might need an update or somting else...
If it is overheating, it is most likely ur mobo or PSU.test these components on another PC...
m
l
Related resources
June 20, 2010 4:30:39 PM

There is a new version of my BIOS out, but I'm too scared to let it update on the machine while it's constantly crashing...

I'll re-check the heatsink. Unfortunately, I don't have any other parts to test this stuff with... but it's a possibility that this is being caused by the mobo or PSU?
m
l
June 20, 2010 4:41:00 PM

If ur PSU is faulty, it can fry ur CPU, or just make it very hot. the same with ur mobo. if ur cautious about updating bios, get a pro to do it...and do you run ur PC 24/7? it could be that youve put it under too much strain if it is new.
CPUs r like cars. You have to run them in. (I think)
This may sound odd, but it mite also be a virus(stop laughing...). It can be programmed to run your components at max...and therefore creating excess heat...
m
l
a c 190 à CPUs
June 20, 2010 4:48:37 PM

Panzer, you are opting for very complex options. The simplest theory is usually the right one, if you hear hoof beats, do you think horse or zebra? See Occam's Razor

CPU overheating is generally caused by either, a bad application of the heatsink or thermal paste, but if its the stock heatsink, the thermal paste application is known to be adequate so i bet on the heatsink not being firmly mounted and not making good contact.
m
l
June 20, 2010 5:01:15 PM

Hunter is definitely right on this one. With the CPU lying flat on its side, I somehow shifted the heatsink and the cpu idled at around 35 C for a few minutes. When I stood it back up the heating issues returned... now I'm just trying to figure out how to get this thingy in here properly...

Least favorite part ever
m
l
June 20, 2010 5:02:10 PM

hunter315 said:
CPU overheating is generally caused by either, a bad application of the heatsink or thermal paste, but if its the stock heatsink, the thermal paste application is known to be adequate so i bet on the heatsink not being firmly mounted and not making good contact.

++++++++++111111111111111
agreed
m
l
June 20, 2010 5:03:36 PM

zomgzerg said:
Hunter is definitely right on this one. With the CPU lying flat on its side, I somehow shifted the heatsink and the cpu idled at around 35 C for a few minutes. When I stood it back up the heating issues returned... now I'm just trying to figure out how to get this thingy in here properly...

Least favorite part ever

get a better heatsink or make sure you install the intel with the crappy push pins crap setup not crappily but properly. one thing. if its about to overheat and you (gently) push the heatsink toward the cpu/mobo, does it work then?
m
l
June 20, 2010 5:10:16 PM

shovenose said:
get a better heatsink or make sure you install the intel with the crappy push pins crap setup not crappily but properly. one thing. if its about to overheat and you (gently) push the heatsink toward the cpu/mobo, does it work then?

Nope, but I think this thing is completely out of position. These pins are total crap, I can't get one out / the others in :??: 
m
l
June 20, 2010 5:17:51 PM

remember you have to turn them to lock/unlock them
and remembe to remove your mobo to do this
m
l
June 20, 2010 6:59:12 PM

Finally got it situated. One of my heatsink pins was screwing everything up but after fixing that, the heatsink mounted fine and I'm chilling at a much cooler 36 C. Thanks for all the help!
m
l
a c 190 à CPUs
June 20, 2010 8:14:02 PM

Thats the biggest down side of intel coolers, those push pins suck and can pop out, at least on AMD if you can get it on its on tight. Glad you finally got it working, should fix your crashing issues.
m
l
June 21, 2010 7:25:06 AM

PS: i just mentioned my theory, for it happened to me, and my PSU partially charr grilled my mobo, causing my CPU to overheat.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2012 11:04:51 AM

2 years later, youv`e just saved me from throwing my set up out and buying a whole new 1. thank you mate
m
l
!