Sign in with
Your question

H80I help!

Last response: in Overclocking
March 3, 2013 12:54:36 AM

Hi all!, I just installed my H80i watercooler, quick question, in the manual it says corsair suggests having the two fans intake air from the outside of the case rather that expel the air from from the case like the regual rear fan would.

Just wanted to know what you all would suggest?? To me I can understand how intakeing cold air from the outside would cool the radiator the most but i first wanted to get opinions of those who knew more than I do.

Thanks!!

More about : h80i

a b K Overclocking
March 3, 2013 2:34:04 AM

Depends, air from the outside will move through the heat sink and to the front.

Intake for the h80i will be better though, you should put fans on the top of the case exhausting.

What are your temperatures?

Are you using two fans for push and pull?
m
l
Related resources
a c 324 K Overclocking
March 3, 2013 2:41:16 AM

If you have good case airflow, shouldn't really matter much. If so, use it as intake to get the coolest air to the radiator...top or other back fans should be able manage the airflow out. If you have poor airflow in your case, consider exhausting the fans out the back or top.

Please understand that just having lots of fans doesn't mean your case has good airflow. How to test? See HERE
m
l
March 3, 2013 4:14:46 AM

edogawa said:
Depends, air from the outside will move through the heat sink and to the front.

Intake for the h80i will be better though, you should put fans on the top of the case exhausting.

What are your temperatures?

Are you using two fans for push and pull?

Yes I am running two fans for a push pull config, I am still waiting on the SSD, OS, and keyboard, so I haven't gotten to actually check the temps.

I am using a Coolermaster Haf X Full tower Case if that helps at all.

I currently have the H80i mounted where the rear fan towards the top used to be. On the very top I have 2 x 200mm exhaust fans

Lemme know watcha think!

Thank you!
m
l
March 3, 2013 4:25:37 AM

rubix_1011 said:
If you have good case airflow, shouldn't really matter much. If so, use it as intake to get the coolest air to the radiator...top or other back fans should be able manage the airflow out. If you have poor airflow in your case, consider exhausting the fans out the back or top.

Please understand that just having lots of fans doesn't mean your case has good airflow. How to test? See HERE

I read through that sticky you linked, very informative. Seems like I should be upgrading the stock fans that came with the H80i as well.

As for Air Flow I am still unsure to test, I am still waiting on the SSD, OS, and keyboard.

I am using a Coolermaster Haf X full tower case hopefully that provides some helpful info.

Thanks!
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 3, 2013 4:33:32 PM

Have you read through this section? Scroll down to the orientation subsection :) 

Rubix had posted a good insight in airflow testing.

There are two types of pressure when it comes to airflow. Positive pressure and negative pressure. Some cases are designed for the former while some cases are designed for the latter. A lil digging will reveal that the case has enough fan mounting placements that you can deal with the airflow almost as easy as 1, 2, 3.

A typical cases airflow will begin(intake) at the front and/or bottom and end(exhaust) at the top and/or rear. Until the air leaves the cases exhaust it picks up heat along the way and thus will aid in the removal of heat from your components. The whole point of this jibber jabber is I needed to make you realize what you were doing even before you take our advice's into consideration.

If you have the H80i as intake you should have the top cases fans in exhaust and if you have the H80i in exhaust you should have the fan nearest to the H80i as intake. Otherwise you can have the front fans as intake and the H80i's fans in exhaust.

^ In reality you'll only see a degree or two difference in the above setups - nothing worth writing an article about though.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 13, 2013 1:32:07 PM

Lutfij said:
Have you read through this section? Scroll down to the orientation subsection :) 

If you have the H80i as intake you should have the top cases fans in exhaust and if you have the H80i in exhaust you should have the fan nearest to the H80i as intake. Otherwise you can have the front fans as intake and the H80i's fans in exhaust.

^ In reality you'll only see a degree or two difference in the above setups - nothing worth writing an article about though.

Pretty much this, lowering your ambient room temperature will make a bigger difference than anything else too. I think an intake would be good for this though. Hot air will be sucked out through the top and dispersed. Hot hair rises too so any other heat building up will be sucked out through the top instead of focused through one spot(the rad).
m
l
!