Core temp and Cpu temp.. which is the important one?

stephenm1

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Hi guys,
The cores on my i5 750 are around 74oC on load(3.8GHz) though however Asus AI Suite shows the CPU temp to be closer to 60oC.
I know i should not be exceeding 80oC on full load, my question is does this 80oC max overclock refer to the Cores or the the CPU temp?

Thanks for any help,
Stephen

EDIT: on a side note, do you think 78 Celsius Core is to hot for 100% load(Prime running for 4 hours so far). Using Coolermaster V8 on 100% with AS5. CPU is currently @ 3.8GHz @ 1.216 VCore

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
The Coolermaster V8 is only an average cooler (the fan that comes with it lets it down), but even then you should be 8 degrees lower than that on 100% prime95 load.

You may need to reseat your cooler and redo your thermal paste - you possibly used too much or haven't done it right.

Personally I'd use CoreTemp and RealTemp for measuring temps - they're more widely used (and more trusted) for reading Nehalem chips.

stephenm1

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Thanks for the replys :D

I decided the temp was rather high, so i took the case apart and had a go at tiding some more of the wires away, i also moved my 120mm Akasa Viper fan into the HDD bay which the parallel to the V8 intake side. Just incase i applied the termal wrongly i took the V8 off and put another pea of AS5 in the centre of the CPU, reattached the cooler and rebooted up.

CoreTemp is now showing 'slightly' lower temps. I was seeing the highest of 78oC during the 4 hour prime test, now after only 20mins of blend im seeing 74/74/68/72.

I dont know if i have just got a bad cpu or if ive failed to turn of, or i have turned on something that i shouldn't. I should also point out i have Load Line Calibration Enabled..with it disabled i have seen temps of 5oC lower.

This is my previous Overclock which had load line disabled, my vcore at 1.3 if i remember correct. Since then i changed the FSB to 200 and multiplyer to 19 to get 1600MHz from my memory.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Ideally you should've cleaned off the existing AS5 before putting a new batch on, and Arctic Silver recommend the line method across the cores for Nehalem chips, but these are trivial matters.

Have a look at your Vcore. I recently did a 3.6GHz OC on a i7 920 with a Vcore of 1.2 and never topped 70 degrees with a badly-seated Titan Fenrir and sh*t thermal compound, so you should be able to do a big voltage drop to ease off some heat.

Also, have a go putting the Viper in the V8 and see what that does - the V8 gives poor (for the price) performance with its stock red LED fan, so see what effect using a decent fan has.