Fastest POSTing 1366 Mobo w/ Sata 6 & USB 3

cljsf

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
I am about to embark on putting together my first homebuilt system. My number one priority is fast boot time. I expect to achieve this primarily through using an SSD as the boot drive. However, I know that the BIOS on some systems (like my ageing Dell) can take 10-15 seconds to POST. Does anyone have any advice for fast POSTing motherboards? I don't want the BIOS to be half the start-up time.

I'm currently looking at an i7 950 with a single 64GB Crucial C300 as the boot drive, with a large 7200 HDD for data. I have an Asus P6X58D-E pencilled in as the base case for the mobo, since it offers Sata 6Gb/s and USB 3.0, and seems reasonably priced. Can anyone tell me if this is known to be fast/slow to POST? Having seen a few video clips of laptops booting in 10 seconds using UEFI in place of BIOS, I'm wondering whether there are any UEFI 1366 motherboards with Sata 6 and USB 3 support.

In case it is relevant, I intend to keep my two Dell 19" 1905FP monitors at 1280 x 1024, but I will use this machine for work, not gaming, so don't think I need high end graphics.

My primary aim is a ~20 second boot time, rather than >2min with my current Dell POS.

POST time is something which cant be controlled. There are some mandatory checks done by the BIOS , before handing over to the OS. I remember some motherboards having an option of Fast Boot or something. You can enable that.

But even then the max post time would only take 2-3 seconds.

With a zippy SSD, you would be able to boot in 10-15 secs (which is under your target), depending upon the number of boot time softwares you have installed. So don't worry about the POST time.

tichouchou

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

hi , i have the same needs as you, what is finally the boot time you got ? thanks

cljsf

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
I haven't measured precisely, but around 30 seconds.

I have an Asus P8P67 Pro mobo with an i5 2500K@4.5Ghz running Win7 64-bit from a Crucial C300 SSD. Annoyingly, the full POST takes about 15 seconds, with Win7 taking about the same again. I'll measure precisely tonight when I get home.

Given the talk last year about 1-2 second POST from UEFI, I would have hoped that the SandyBridge mobos weren't so ass-slow to POST. Seems like they are no quicker than the BIOS on my old Dell. My fiancee's MacBook Air boots quicker.

The only person to respond to my thread kind of missed the point. While I might not be able to influence the POST time of my board, some boards are probably quicker to POST than others, but I haven't been able to find any benchmarks comparing POST times for different boards (or maybe they all take exactly the same time, though I doubt it). As for the ability to influence POST time, it seems that disabling unused hardware devices (e.g. serial/Firewire/extra Sata ports) speeds the POST process.

tichouchou

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
okie. uefi site says it doesnt replace the bios. also, if boot time was your number one priority, what was your other criteria which made you buy a desktop booting in 30s vs laptop in 10s or less ?

cljsf

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
I work in finance and use Bloomberg software running on three screens. I also use the machine as a media server, so wanted to be able to add multiple data HDDs. Doing both of those through a laptop is tough.

tichouchou

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
sure... I understand you know, thanks, last question: do you know a laptop or pc that we can buy now that boots win7 under 10sec ?