Solved

Quick fan placement question

Hey guys, I am using an old case at the moment. It has slots for 1 140mm fan at the front, one 80mm on the side and one 80mm on the back. Thing it my motherboard has only 1 slot for a fan.

I wanted to ask how would be most efficient to use that 1 slot. Only one side intake/exhaust ,only one back intake/exhaust or only one front intake/exhaust (which sits right in front of hard disks)
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about quick placement question
  1. i would use the 140mm in the front as your intake, it would move the most air.

you can use fan adapters to connect your other fans, most fans come with them also
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201009&cm_re=fan_adapter_cable-_-12-201-009-_-Product
  2. Thanks for the info, I thought as much.

At the moment I only have a 80mm on me and I did some tests.

I tried the (only case) fan on the side as an intake and my case seemed to get pretty hot,
    both GPU and hard disks were around 10 degrees Celsius more. I am trying it as an exhaust on the side now.

Having only one 80mm what would you suggest is optimal of the four options :
    side intake , side exhaust, back intake or back exhaust ?
  3. Best answer
    shotgunwinner said:
    Thanks for the info, I thought as much.

At the moment I only have a 80mm on me and I did some tests.

I tried the (only case) fan on the side as an intake and my case seemed to get pretty hot,
    both GPU and hard disks were around 10 degrees Celsius more. I am trying it as an exhaust on the side now.

Having only one 80mm what would you suggest is optimal of the four options :
    side intake , side exhaust, back intake or back exhaust ?

Back exhaust - side exhaust messes up the airflow inside the case.
  4. as chris stated, you want it running as an exhaust in the back of the case. side fans are more of a luxury.
  5. Best answer selected by shotgunwinner.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cases Fan Motherboards Components Product