System overheated, now won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbduckyd

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Ugh. I built a computer, and after some initial hiccups, I got it running. It's setup in a cabinet with a slide-out tray. However, since the airflow in the cabinet sucks, it has to be left out in the tray. Tonight, somebody accidentally pushed it in. It reached the shut off point and turned off. After giving it a moment to cool, I turned it back on. However, it took shuts down during the startup, sometimes during POST and occasionally during Windows startup. But it always shuts down. Any ideas?

Build:
1 x HEC 6T Series 6T10BB Black 0.7mm SECC Steel MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case - Retail
1 x DFI LP JR 790GX-M3H5 AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
1 x MSI R5670-PMD1G Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Retail
1 x Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V V2.2 Intel Core i7 Compliant Dual 80mm Fans Full Cable Sleevings Power Supply - Retail
1 x AMD Phenom II X2 555 Callisto 3.2GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision Model HDZ555WFGMBOX - Retail
1 x OCZ Gold Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G10664GK - Retail
1 x Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500AAJS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
1 x LG DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS50 -

Solution
Check the Power Supply as snowolf suggested, then check your RAM (with a program like MemTest86+). See if the system shuts down during the MemTest run.

Another possibility (though very rare) is that the heatsink was not initially seated properly, and the act of pushing the system back into the cabinet may have nudged it loose to the point where it is no longer making proper contact with the CPU, thus shutting the system down.
Check the Power Supply as snowolf suggested, then check your RAM (with a program like MemTest86+). See if the system shuts down during the MemTest run.

Another possibility (though very rare) is that the heatsink was not initially seated properly, and the act of pushing the system back into the cabinet may have nudged it loose to the point where it is no longer making proper contact with the CPU, thus shutting the system down.

Solution

dumbduckyd

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
How exactly do I go about checking the power supply? I'd check the memory, but I can't even boot the system far enough to test it and I have no other DDR3 capable systems to test the memory with. I've already sent one set of modules back because they were DOA. Also, I doubt the fan came unseated. The tray is just usually left out. The computer was running fine for about a week before last night. I'll check anyway, though.

dumbduckyd

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
*Bump

I've been messing around with it. I pulled it out of the cabinet and set it up on a different outlet with a different monitor. After blowing compressed air on the fans (which weren't dusty), I booted it up. It worked. I hooked it back up in the cabinet, but only connected the power and the monitor. It worked. I was about to plug in the mouse and keyboard when it shut off. I think I was leaning on it when this happened. I couldn't get it back on. I once again pulled it out and when back to the working setup. This time, it did not work. The only difference was that it was standing up. When I laid it back down on its side like it initially was, it worked again. Which leads me to believe to that something happens to make it not work standing up. Any ideas on what could be causing it to not work standing up, or am I just jumping to bad conclusions.

Also, about to run memtest.

dumbduckyd

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
I think I figured it out. I turned it on its side and the cooler just fell off! Apparently putting it up straight caused the fan to dislodge the slightest bit, and sitting it down got it back on. I reattached the fan and it's working now. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS