Sign in with
Your question

Can a DELL Dimension desktop case be reused for a new BUILD?

Last response: in Systems
April 12, 2010 2:35:16 AM

I can't afford a new desktop but I'd like to upgrade my computing power, OS, etc by reusing a Dimension 9100 case purchased 5-6 years ago.

Can anyone advise me whether the power supply cut-out, motherboard back panel cut-out, etc. would be industry standard so I can save buying a new plastic case.? The DELL cases are pretty sturdy so I thought they could make a good shell possibly for a low cost build.

I had heard that DELL used non-standard specs and components sizes but I don't know of this is actually true.

Any knowledgeable advice would be greatly appreciated.
THanks.
April 12, 2010 2:42:14 AM

how big of a mother board r u wonting to put in it? and what form factor is it. u know like atx btx ect...
m
l
April 12, 2010 2:42:45 AM

varocketry said:

I can't afford a new desktop but I'd like to upgrade my computing power, OS, etc by reusing a Dimension 9100 case purchased 5-6 years ago.

Can anyone advise me whether the power supply cut-out, motherboard back panel cut-out, etc. would be industry standard so I can save buying a new plastic case.? The DELL cases are pretty sturdy so I thought they could make a good shell possibly for a low cost build.

I had heard that DELL used non-standard specs and components sizes but I don't know of this is actually true.

Any knowledgeable advice would be greatly appreciated.
THanks.

You can get a decent case for like 40 bucks. I'd say dump the Dell case. The hard drive cage is likely tool-less or worse, some weird Dell tool. It will have airflow designed for like word processing/web surfing in mind.

Spend 40 bucks, get a good case that is designed to accept upgrades.
m
l
Related resources
April 12, 2010 3:08:14 AM

I've building reading the budget build threads here and at PCMECH.
I'm thinking of an Asus board running AMD processor to keep the price down.

I thought I'd ask if it was at all possible though. cmcghee358 makes a good point as none of the DELL machines I've owned are set up for ventilation like some aftermarket cases I've seen recently.

But I just want to build a current processing machine that can run Win7 64, display current programs, and large LCD displays.
m
l
April 12, 2010 3:36:50 AM

Better off selling that thing and using the money towards a new build. A functioning computer is worth a few bucks as is.
m
l
April 12, 2010 1:32:05 PM

Someone replied on the DELL forms with details why this can;t be done. Custom MOBO Specs (BTX), custom cable connectors, unusual non-published USB wiring specs, etc. It definitively answered my quesion.

So, Brennon where would you suggest I could sell a fully functioning 5-6 year old computer?
m
l
April 12, 2010 4:16:41 PM

E-BAY!!! Where else?
m
l
April 12, 2010 4:35:15 PM

Craigslist might be easier to manage if there's one for your area.
m
l
April 12, 2010 8:17:19 PM

and figure on roughly $100 to $250 for a price range

I recently parted out a Dell laptop...got about $150 for the parts that sold

Parting out takes a little more time and effort...for maybe not as much cash
m
l
February 20, 2011 8:11:00 PM

I was going to reuse my Dell Dimension case - but kind of as a joke.

Was thinking of putting in a new mobo, Quad AMD with 6-8gb of RAM and an SSD - when my friends make fun of my Old Computer, I'd have them boot it up and watch it fly!

When they'd ask me how it was so fast after all these years, I'd mumble something about "jumper settings", then tell them they could probably get one cheap on eBay! LOL!!
m
l
!