Monitor calibration (mac)

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 5, 2004 11:59:54 PM

[posted in c.s.m.system also]

Looking for recommendations from those who've used them, or preferably,
are currently using, a hardware calibration system. The two I am aware
of, Monaco and Colorvision, have versions which fall into my price range
of <$250. The third one, greta-macbeath (sp?) seems too pro-y and pricey
for me. The software has to be macintosh, for reasons that are obvious
in the other group....

I am looking only for monitor calibration, definitely not scanner, and
probably not printer. Currently have a Samsung SyncMaster 191 T and a
laptop, am considering a CRT for photo work. (Also have a very old Sony
CRT 21" on my son's computer. Impression is that it's too old to put out
what's necessary.)

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

Either colorimeter
will do. Presumably you understand the basics of color management and
printing using color management to improve printing.
LCDs can be calibrated, but most (laptop or desktop) do not have adequate
brightness, contrast range or color range for reliable color managed
printing.
When you get your colorimeter use it with your Sony monitor before you
invest in another CRT. You may find it is adequate.
If you buy another CRT for color photography you do not have to spend a
fortune. Avoid the bottom of the barrel and make sure the monitor allows for
color temperature selection and adjustment of the individual guns-most
midlevel and above monitors do.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 3:11:09 AM

This works:
http://www.colormall.com/product1.asp?CustomerID=487917...
wJ5EsOQocwdpt&SID=1&Product_ID=1163

"John McWilliams" <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote in message
> [posted in c.s.m.system also]
>
> Looking for recommendations from those who've used them, or preferably,
> are currently using, a hardware calibration system. The two I am aware
> of, Monaco and Colorvision, have versions which fall into my price range
> of <$250. The third one, greta-macbeath (sp?) seems too pro-y and pricey
> for me. The software has to be macintosh, for reasons that are obvious
> in the other group....
>
> I am looking only for monitor calibration, definitely not scanner, and
> probably not printer. Currently have a Samsung SyncMaster 191 T and a
> laptop, am considering a CRT for photo work. (Also have a very old Sony
> CRT 21" on my son's computer. Impression is that it's too old to put out
> what's necessary.)
>
> --
> John McWilliams
December 6, 2004 3:20:39 AM

Ed Bigelow wrote:
> This works:
> http://www.colormall.com/product1.asp?CustomerID=487917...
> wJ5EsOQocwdpt&SID=1&Product_ID=1163

Broken URL. and when I paste it together, it won't go to a page, but
wants me to register.

And when I enter the site via another route, it seems to be a commercial
venture.

So, could you put into terse words what the above is meant to convey?

tia
--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

Sorry you had trouble...it is the vendor I bought my Eye-One from. It made a
significant difference to the predictability of my final printed results. It
was less than the $250 you mentioned.

And, when one is looking for a commercial product, occastionally one does
need to look at commercial sites...Type Eye-One Display into Google and
follow your instincts to reviews or sale sites.

Here's the mfg site:
http://www.gretagmacbeth.com/index/products/products_co...
s_cm-for-creatives/products_eye-one-display.htm

> Ed Bigelow wrote:
> > This works:

http://www.colormall.com/product1.asp?CustomerID=487917...
> > wJ5EsOQocwdpt&SID=1&Product_ID=1163
>

> Broken URL. and when I paste it together, it won't go to a page, but
> wants me to register.
>
> And when I enter the site via another route, it seems to be a commercial
> venture.
>
> So, could you put into terse words what the above is meant to convey?
>
> tia
> --
> John McWilliams
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 8:59:28 AM

Ed Bigelow wrote:
> Sorry you had trouble...it is the vendor I bought my Eye-One from. It made a
> significant difference to the predictability of my final printed results. It
> was less than the $250 you mentioned.
>
> And, when one is looking for a commercial product, occastionally one does
> need to look at commercial sites...Type Eye-One Display into Google and
> follow your instincts to reviews or sale sites.
>
> Here's the mfg site:
> http://www.gretagmacbeth.com/index/products/products_co...
> s_cm-for-creatives/products_eye-one-display.htm

Thanks!
<http://usa.gretagmacbethstore.com/index.cfm/act/Catalog...;
is the page I ultimately found. Under $250 by a buck. But I guess I have
given up on the $99.00 one, and am resigned to spending over $200 for
quality.

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

In article <eFKsd.517348$D%.398172@attbi_s51>, John McWilliams
<jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote:

> Looking for recommendations from those who've used them, or preferably,
> are currently using, a hardware calibration system. The two I am aware
> of, Monaco and Colorvision, have versions which fall into my price range
> of <$250. The third one, greta-macbeath (sp?) seems too pro-y and pricey
> for me. The software has to be macintosh, for reasons that are obvious
> in the other group....

I don't have hands-on experience, but my customers in the publishing
business seem to like the Colorvision Spyder:

http://www.colorvision.com/profis/profis_view.jsp?id=10...
!