180GB SSD shipped in papar envelope

Tacoboy

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
My Corsair 180GB SSD arrived today, bought it at amazon (free shipping, no tax), Newegg was selling the same 180GB SSD drive, Newegg would have been $16.50 cheaper, after $30 mail in rebate. But I always forget to send in the rebate.
So my new SSD arrived a few minutes ago, it's had been shipped (USPS) in a paper envelope 12" X 10", The SSD box is 6" X 4" X 1", The drive box it's self was not wrapped in anything, the envelope did have an inner lining of thin bubble wrap, otherwise the SSD was free to float around this envelope.
If i had know, I would have paid the extra $8 for regular UPS 3 day ground, in a regular shipping box.
Hopefully the SSD drive works.

So beware of "free Shipping".

Hello,

Normally they put those "paper bags" in a bigger bag with other light weight "paper bag-worthy" items so it should be fairly "safe". As long as there were no physical signs of damage - you should be fine.

SSD's are fairly sturdy pieces of computer equipment.

Update - I received a Samsung 830 256GB ssd last week. The sdd was in a tray inside a small good looking retail box. It was packed inside a larger shipping box that had a couple of air filled plastic bags. There weren't enough of those air filled bags to keep the ssd from doing the shake, rattle, and roll.

When I was removing the ssd from the tray I accidently dropped it. It fell 4 feet and one corner of the drive struck the ceramic tile floor. When I installed the 830 into the new build it fired right up and worked perfectly.

Ahh nice. If it was a HDD it might have gone bye-bye. Another good thing about SSD's (naturally shock resistent due to no moving parts) :) .

SuperAxilla

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
I just got a Toshiba 640GB HDD in an envelope. My second job is at an online retailer warehouse. It was during peak and they were busy. Likely an employee just didn't know. I don't care if the HDD works or not. There's no telling how many sectors are bad or how the integrity of the platters have been compromised. I'm sending it back. Sending an HDD in an envelope is not safe. An SDD will handle it better. If you ever order an HDD and it comes in an envelope, send it back and request a replacement in proper packaging. They are excellent with returns, especially if the item is not packaged properly.

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
when i got my 3770k and intel ssd from tigerdirect they put both in a shoebox size cardboard box with no packing materials. they were free to bounce around. good thing ssd's have no mechanical parts. whenever i get anything from newegg they use packing peanuts galore.

TRENDING THREADS