BSOD and memory errors running 12gig of ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishrob

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Hello,
I recently built a new Win 7 64 bit system using a Gigabyte x58a-ud3r rev 2 motherboard, Intel i7-950 quad cpu and six 2 gig sticks (12gig total) of OCZ DDR3 RAM model OCZ3G1600LV6GK. Not long after the install of windows, I started having BSOD's. The majority of the time it had memory management at the top of the BSOD screen. So I downloaded memtest and ran it with just 6 gigs (3 sticks) of ram and it found no issues. I took out the 3 sticks and put in the 3 sticks that I had removed, ran the test and found no issues. When I ran the memtest with all 12gigs of ram installed there were errors almost immediately! The system runs fine with just 6gig installed. Is there something I am missing maybe a bios setting or is the motherboard at fault. Thanks!

Update:

I ran the memtest on my sons computer (exact same mobo, CPU) with all 6 sticks installed and there were no errors. Does this mean the mobo is possibly faulty? Thanks!

Solution
Welcome, Newcomer. Have you manually configured your RAM settings in your BIOS? Make sure that you set the timing to CL 8-8-8-24 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS); the frequency to 1600MHz; and the voltage to 1.65V

irishrob

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
OK, I changed the settings and I am a little concerned though. Does changing the DRAM multiplier (so I can get it set to 1600) and any of the other settings affect the CPU temp at all? While I was in the BIOS making the changes, I noticed the CPU temp heading up above 89c. Is this normal?

89 C is very hot. Too long at that temp will cause your CPU to shut down. CPUs will shut down to prevent damage. The CPU temp is affected directly and indirectly. When you increase the DRAM frequency, you're also creating more heat within your enclosure (case). This slight temp increase subsequently causes other devices to have elevated temp readings; however, this shouldn't be significant.

For now, focus on your CPU temp. Return your BIOS to default by pressing F9. Save and exit. After the restart, check your temps again. Did it go back to normal, or is it still high?

irishrob

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Thanks for the response TT. I didn't trust the BIOS temp reading so I downloaded a program called realtemp. It is showing very different, cooler temps. At idle the temps are around 55. I am running stock cooling but might look into upgrading. So far the system seems to be running stable. The only issue I had with changing the BIOS was the DRAM voltage, it wouldn't go to 1.65. It went from 1.50 to over 1.80 so I left it at 1.50v. I will run a few more tests and report back. Many thanks!

irishrob

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Well, after setting the BIOS to the correct settings I still had a couple BSOD's. I am giving up with this memory and going back to the proper 1066 RAM. I would rather have a stable slightly slower system than an unstable slightly faster. I also found out what my problem was with the heat issue. Turns out I put a little too much arctic silver on the heat sink. I cleaned it off and put a very very thin layer on and my temps have dropped 20+ degrees. Under full 100% load it maxed out around 75c.

I am going to chalk up the system instability to the RAM speed not compatible with the motherboard. Thanks for your assistance. We can mark this thread as answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.