Sign in with
Your question

Secondary RAID 1 array woes

Last response: in Storage
May 17, 2012 9:30:10 PM

here's a brain teaser for y'all,

I have a new 180GB SSD, with a fresh install of win7 64 bit on it. I also have a pair of 1 TB HDD's in RAID 1, as a secondary, low priority data store. besides the fresh copy of windows, all drives are blank. when I am in the BIOS configuration tool, or in the RAID configuration, I can see all the drives, and all is well. (all three drives are connected to RAID enabled SATA ports, the array is configured properly, etc) Yet, when I start up windows, I can only see my primary 180 GB SSD, the RAID array is nowhere to be found. the drives still show up in the device manager in windows, and show as healthy, but they have no disk drive label, and are inaccessible.

I am using the onboard RAID controller from my MoBo (Asus ROG Crosshair V). All data is backed up on an external, so potential reformats are not really an issue at this point.

Frankly I'm pulling my hair out a bit on this one, any help would be greatly appreciated
a c 878 G Storage
May 17, 2012 11:37:00 PM

Are the raid drivers loaded? Did you format/initilize the raided drive in windows? Go into drive manager and see if its there waiting for you to initilize it. When you raid a set of drives it becomes one drive but looses its factory formating.
m
l
May 18, 2012 2:21:34 AM

yes, the raid drivers are loaded, and the raid drives were cleared and formatted when i installed windows, but left blank, as windows was put on the stand-alone ssd. When i go into device manager, they are waiting for initialization, but I am unclear as to how i would do such a thing. my only options are to update drivers (which i have tried, they are updated), disable (which i have also tried followed by re-inabling, null result), and uninstalling (which has similar results to updating).
m
l
Related resources
May 18, 2012 11:14:02 AM

OK, so I finally got it working by getting disk manager (which I forgot existed, shows how stupid I can be when frustrated) to re-re-re-reformat the raid array and initialize it.

I think in the future I would use the windows disk manager to do the actual raid as well, because it seems much more user friendly than the bios. Also, with everything being done in one place, there is less back and forth trying to find drives and such. Still this would only be an option if, like me, you had windows already loaded on a drive separate from the array. live and learn.
m
l
a c 878 G Storage
May 19, 2012 9:54:57 PM

Glad you got it straightened out!
m
l
!