Sign in with
Your question

Building New System

Last response: in CPUs
June 20, 2010 9:42:38 PM

Hey,

So i'm thinking of ordering a "custom" pc off of either cyber power, or ibuypower, and I just wanted to know if the setup I have selected would suit my gaming needs. I play Crysis, will play Crysis 2, Supreme Commander, Dawn of War 2, Etc... Right now I own a Gateway computer with the i7-920, 3 gb ram, ATI HD 4850 (512 mb), and this seems to run Crysis with settings on High fairly well; although it freezes up sometimes when saving, or there is a lot of action on screen.

So the question is, will these two systems I've built be able to handle games like Crysis (smoothly)? Anyway, any other feedback would be very much appreciated also.
-Thanks!

Sorry, forgot to put up the specs :lol: 

CyberPower PC:

CPU: Intel i7-930 2.80 GHz
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R SLI/CrossfireX 7.1 Dolby, USB 3.0, 2x SATA III RAID
RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333 MHz (Corsair)
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 465 (1GB) EVGA
Power Supply: Xtreme Gear 700 Watt
HArd Drive: 750 GB 7200 RPM, 3gb/s, 16 MB Cache (No brand given)
Sound Card :HD Onboard Sound 7.1

Link: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CyberPower_X58_Confi...

iBuyPower PC:
CPU: Intel i7-930 2.80 GHz
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R SLI/CrossfireX 7.1 Dolby, USB 3.0, 2x SATA III RAID (same)
RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333 MHz (Corsair)
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 250 (1 Gb)
Power Supply: 700 Watts
HArd Drive: 750 Gb (No Brand)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Xi-Fi Xtreme audio

Link: http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gamer_Paladin_F750

More about : building system

a c 105 à CPUs
June 20, 2010 9:47:46 PM

1. you did not list your specs for the cyber power or ibuypower units

2. you have a powerful CPU, with just a GPU upgrade (ATI 5850) you can play crysis a lot better. no need to get a new system. AT worst you may need add a new PSU.
m
l
June 20, 2010 10:06:35 PM

ct1615 said:
1. you did not list your specs for the cyber power or ibuypower units

2. you have a powerful CPU, with just a GPU upgrade (ATI 5850) you can play crysis a lot better. no need to get a new system. AT worst you may need add a new PSU.

Well the system has a problem where it skips every few minutes for about a millisecond, and I cannot seem to find out why. It makes listening to music or watching videos painful. I need a new computer anyway for college.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 20, 2010 10:51:33 PM

Seriously unless you need 2 computers, I'd just put some money into the Gateway - upgrade to 6GB RAM, put a second hard disk in for storage and upgrade the graphics card to a 5850, and probably a new PSU too.

If you're skipping then you either have some junk running in the background that Gateway's installed or some minor issue with Windows - a reinstall should solve both those problems.
m
l
June 21, 2010 12:54:31 AM

LePhuronn said:
Seriously unless you need 2 computers, I'd just put some money into the Gateway - upgrade to 6GB RAM, put a second hard disk in for storage and upgrade the graphics card to a 5850, and probably a new PSU too.

If you're skipping then you either have some junk running in the background that Gateway's installed or some minor issue with Windows - a reinstall should solve both those problems.

Well I do in fact need two computers because like I said, i'm going to college very soon.
As for the gateway, I've reinstalled the OS, and I've even upgraded it from vista to 7. I've replaced the graphics card, optical drive, reinstalled all drivers(or most). Last thing to do is to replace mobo or hard drive.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2010 1:44:40 AM

You're not just taking your existing system with you?

Why don't you have a go at building yourself instead? It's not difficult and you can get a better system than those pre-built ones and be confident you've not cut any corners like those builders always do.
m
l
June 21, 2010 4:45:46 PM

You know I thought about it, but I don't know what is compatible with what, how much of this do i need, or what are the best brands. I actually made a whole list on Newegg, but abandoned the idea. If someone would help me pick out parts that work well together that would be great. I'll email them the original cart I had.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2010 7:22:01 PM

That's what we're here for dude. Let me get home from work and I'll have a look.
m
l
June 21, 2010 8:25:10 PM

ok, sounds good.
m
l
!