When will DX11 be widespread?

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
i really want a DX11 GPU to eventually replace my gtx 260, but......

looking at the few DX11 games, they do not use DX11 features as extensively as the Heaven benchmark yet, and by the time that there will be many dx11 games with good use of dx11 features, the hd 5000s and gtx 400s will be outdated...

so, should i be better off waiting for gtx 600s or hd 6000s?

along with maybe the new bulldozer processor for my am3 gigabyte board? just wondering... it''s a phenom ii x3 720 at 3.5 ghz by the way....

welshmousepk

Distinguished
I imagine DX11 will be integrated in the majority of games within 6 months. once fermi is released, you can expect Dx11 to become much more standard.

it always takes time for new tech to be implemented, but devs are much more excited for Dx11 than any previous versions, and already uptake has been quick.

you don;t need to rush out to get a Dx11 capable card, but i think you will want one long before the next generation of cards.

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Dx11 wont see much light until may be 2012 when the new generation of consoles are expected (or even later). It sucks but all games are now implemented toward consoles. PCs are left behind.

Its just a financial reasoning but PC users suffer. There will be single titles here and there but nothing major and nothing TRULY dx11

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
what is the definition of truly DX11?

so, if you're saying it takes two years to get to that point? then what? maybe i should wait out this generation? just wondering though....

i wonder when someone will make a real DX11 game, not "alien vs predator" half-assed dx11.

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009

ah i see...

a bit unrelated but, why you still have a dual-core? i thought tri-cores and quad-cores were all the rage, or games STILL aren't using all cores yet?

welshmousepk

Distinguished

my dual core is 'unlocked', meaning all 4 cores on the chip are active.

i wouldn't pay too much attention to rawsteel (don't mean that to sound so harsh), its a very pessimistic way to look at things.

already Dx11 uptake has been fantastic, and that before both major GPU manufacturers have Dx11 cards on the market. it really is much more than Dx10. while it may be a long time before we see entire engines built around it, implementation should be widespread fairly quickly compared to older versions.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
DX11 cannot be guaranteed to go in any games.

It's entirely up to developers, and if they feel the featured of DX11 are suited for their games. Right now, I"m playing a wot of Bad Company 2. The developers only implemented a minimum amount of features that DX11 enables. They didn't add in multithreading, or tessellation, or a variety of other features that they could have.

DX11 features are up to the discretion of the developer. And honestly, all those extra features and details add cost to development. You can make a crysis type games that adds a ton of details and only high end systems can show all the details available. But why add details that systems can't use? Why add extra development costs that gamers (by and large) can't turn on?

i fear turning this into a flame thread, but perhaps research before posting?

of course we only have small implementations of Dx11 so far, the API has only been available a short time, and a game takes years to produce. the games we have seen it in were near-finished when Dx11 launched, yet devs still chose to include some of its features (a large number of devs so far) which is incredibly promising.

its not about adding features that 'cannot be used' Dx11 offers whole new ways to process graphics, that actually offer performance increases. the fact the Dx11 capable hardware actually has independent tessellation cores that go unused without the feature being active, proves that adding it doesn't mean that system resources are drained. tessellation in fact is one of the more exciting features of Dx11, as it offers great performance increases. or the ability to greatly improve the visual features of a scene by greatly increasing polygon count, as well as adding a displacement map, without requiring huge additional resources.

there is much more to Dx11 than just some new visual effects, so perhaps you should learn a little about it before saying how pointless it is.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
In all fairness the adoption rate of DX11 even in it's infancy is much better then what DX10 was, AMD reckon there will be over 20 DX11 titles out by the end of year. However to get the most out of DX11 will take 5 years, compare DX9 games when they first showed up compared to DX9 games of 2006 and 2007 (and even today).

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009

huh, are those first DX9 games actually based in DX8 with some DX9 features and then gradually it eventually becomes a full-blown DX9 game?

That is usually how it happens.
Game developers would be shooting them selves in their collective foots if they released native DX11 games at this point.
Reason being, there are far to few people with the proper hardware support in place.

Instead they will continue making their games DX10 based with partial implementation of DX11 features where hardware support is available.
This will give those who have DX11 hardware better visuals/performance while still maintaining compatibility with the majority of the user base.
While the dev interest in DX11 looks to be very healthy, I would not expect a native DX11 game for at least another year or so.

loneninja

Distinguished
Don'g expect large numbers of DX11 games until everyone attached to Xp finally leaves it and enough people upgrade to DX11 hardware. Developers won't waste money making a game that few people can run it, it's why the current Dx11 games also run in Dx10/Dx9 modes.

Im going to echo what jyjjy posted, as long as your card is doing a decent job i would stick with it at this point. Unless you want to run eyefinity then there really is no point to me anyway in changing to a dx11 card yet.
Dx11 is as posted so much more than another step up the graphics scale and it incorperates some nice features that once full inplementation is here will help increase performance and quality, Compute shaders being the main thing here i guess.
Whan DX11 was first brought to light we were told that devs would be able to work in DX11 and DX10 systems would just not use the DX11 features as DX11 is a superset of DX10/10.1. However it seems to be that its a little more complicated than that otherwise they would be doing so.
Bottom line is that there isnt enough support for the features to make it worth while in my opinion. kinda like getting a quad a couple of years ago. Now a Quad makes sense as more games are showing improvements when using a Quad. I expect the same sort of time frame with DX11.
Im waiting this generation out and will look again when the 6 series gets here.

Mactronix

DX11 will be implemented when the majority of HW and SW supports it.

Right now, about 5% of the market is DX11 capable in HW (5000 series), and only 40% of OS installs even support DX10/11 (and thats on the assumption EVERY Vista install downloaded the DX11 patch).

Again, it takes YEARS for most API's to gain a foothold; even DX9 took a year and a half to really start taking over, and that was without the spectre of a new OS install for support...

xx12amanxx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
I feel that dx11 will be implemented sooner rather than later because it gives you much better performance in dx10 mode and it makes your games look gorgeous! Sure developers don't have to implement it but they still will because that is the direction it is going.

I had a HD4870 it did play all my games fine....But it didn't play a lot of games maxed out at 1680x1050 like i wanted it to. One being Crysis another being S.T.A.L.K.E.R Call of priapyt i want every setting on ultra i want 16x AF filtering and i want at least 2x AA and the HD4870 just cant do this with a lot of titles.

Some say there is not a big difference when using dx11 right now over dx10 well that is just false! In S.T.A.L.K.E.R when enabling tessellation suddenly round object's are actually round! In dx10 mode they are like 8 sided octagon's and once you see them better it just look's funny to look at them any other way!

NPC's armor suddenly pour with very fine detail's! The suit's have much more detail and look much better when using dx11, for me i just don't want to see it any other way!

And the best thing about it is i can look forward to the next dx11 title and what that might look like! Because with every title that comes out they will implement more and more dx11 features! It keep's me excited about gaming!

I am an eye candy junkie!

So i think dx11 will be here sooner rather than later! I think by the end of this year most titles will have dx11 support and a few titles will be implementing it extensively and those titles will look just awesome! At this point there is really no going back dx10 is all it is ever going to be with Crysis dx11 is the future it look's better and run's better i will be enjoying my HD5870 for next year of gaming!

*sigh*.

People, understand, companies do NOT spend hundreds of man hours adding a feature that very few people can run. DX9 and DX10+ also require two different rendering engines, hence why so few games ditch DX9 (and those that do tend to always sell badly in the long run).

I'l say it again, we're DX9 for a good year and a half before we see any significant change.

HKH

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I care about DX11

But I care more about good games

If good games were not DX11, I'd prefer it more than a crappy DX11 game

Ex) My personaly fav COD Mw2 and my all time fav CounterStrike

But a DX11 COD Mw would be nice .. /slur

^@gamerk - If The Khronos Group got their act together OpenGL could once again rival DX as a leading standard, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

Anyway, you have to understand that DX11 cards only came out in September. A few lucky developers got to work with a 5770 perhaps a month or two before that. While that has allowed DX11 to be thrown into a few games like Battle Forge, it will take a while for other developers to finish their DX11 implementations. I expect to see more games released by the summer with DX11 added on, and perhaps by September for most new games released to include DX11. It probably won't be till next year that we see a game coded with DX11 in mind rather than just added on at the end.

notty22

Distinguished
What they are actually adding to any one game, adds up to more marketing hype for being cutting edge, and to help justify new hardware for sellers and owners. Heres what AvP promised. If you don't have dx11 are you not seeing this ? I don't know. I don't have dx11 :)
[flash=640,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/nru4mhPF-oo&hl=en_US&fs=1&[/flash]

Just pull your head in ok, gamer understands this stuff on a level that you post quite plainly proves you don't.
It is a fact,no matter how many people that seem to know and also those who we do know know whats what want to wish it were different that the bottom line is that until there is wide spread hardware and software support for these new features and DX paths, the support by which i mean games coded to take advantage of then just wont be financially feasible so wont exist.
If M$ decided to bankroll such a game which i think they should then it might happen sooner but i wouldn't hold your breath if i was you.
The games you mention only go to prove the point being just games with a sprinkle of DX 11 much like Crysis was a game with DX 10 sprinkles.

Mactronix

Isn't that the only way it can be? DX11 can't function without it's DX1-10 roots. There isn't that many new things, it mostly is just an improved DX10 plus a couple new features.

Whether you personally find them impressive or not those games DO contain DX11 features to varying degrees. Their existence directly contradicts the statement you made that I was replying to. You may make some good points but when you go overboard it just makes people rightfully dismiss what you have to say. Tone things back so people will take you seriously(and also reread your posts before submitting, the above post is a grammar train wreck.)