Sign in with
Your question

Best Plug-n-Play NAS/Home Server OS?

Last response: in Components
June 20, 2010 10:04:47 PM

Hello all,

A friend an I are working on a prototype home server/NAS that we may attempt to put on the market, on a small scale. We haven't quite got the logistics worked out yet, but we are working.

Essentially, we want an easy to use NAS that requires little or no programing/input from the user. Plug-n-play. I have been looking around, although not to much avail.

I would rather not use WHS, although if it resorts to that, we may have to go that route.

Others I have been looking at have been FreeNAS, Ubuntu Server, Debian, and Fedora.

I was never too much of a networking guy myself. But we were wondering what your guys/girls opinions were.

Thank you for all of your input.
June 21, 2010 3:26:00 AM

FreeNas is probably the easiest... and has support for a very wide assortment of filesystems including everyones favorite: ZFS. Linux based systems will lack zfs.
m
l
June 21, 2010 3:01:18 PM

skittle said:
FreeNas is probably the easiest... and has support for a very wide assortment of filesystems including everyones favorite: ZFS. Linux based systems will lack zfs.

Ah. Thank you for the response. I was having a feeling FreeNAS might go better off. Does it support RAID? (0/1/5) How about Gigabit teaming?

I'll look it up in the mean time.
m
l
!