7k60 on Dell Lat. D600: Observations

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
September 16, 2004 2:09:12 AM

My system is a Dell Latitude D600

1.4 ghz
512 mb ram
radeon 9000 w/ 32 mb
1024 x 768
bios version a14
xp pro sp1

It had a Hitachi 5400 rpm 40 gb drive, and I replaced it with a Hitachi 7k60
7200 rpm 60 gb drive.

Two observations:

1. the 7200 is quieter than the 5400, except that every now and then there
is a louder-than-I'd-like-to-hear clacking sound. Almost sounds like the
head is hitting metal.

2. I can tell that the drive is faster, it starts up faster and things
unrar, etc. faster. *However* the system now seems "laggy." I mean that
when there is a long directory list, it'll jump a little when scrolling.
And when selecting several files, the mouse will jump a little.

I know that the drive is capable of ata-6, but I think that this computer
only has ata-5.

Could that be a problem? or,
Is the computer now the bottleneck instead of the HD? and,
Did I fail to turn some caching feature on that will fix these problems?

Jake
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 16, 2004 2:20:23 AM

"JBW" <reply@group.plz> wrote in message
> My system is a Dell Latitude D600
>
> 1.4 ghz
> 512 mb ram
> radeon 9000 w/ 32 mb
> 1024 x 768
> bios version a14
> xp pro sp1
>
> It had a Hitachi 5400 rpm 40 gb drive, and I replaced it with a Hitachi
7k60
> 7200 rpm 60 gb drive.
>
> Two observations:
>
> 1. the 7200 is quieter than the 5400, except that every now and then there
> is a louder-than-I'd-like-to-hear clacking sound. Almost sounds like the
> head is hitting metal.
>
> 2. I can tell that the drive is faster, it starts up faster and things
> unrar, etc. faster. *However* the system now seems "laggy." I mean that
> when there is a long directory list, it'll jump a little when scrolling.
> And when selecting several files, the mouse will jump a little.
>
> I know that the drive is capable of ata-6, but I think that this computer
> only has ata-5.
> Could that be a problem? or,

NO, but make sure some DMA mode is in use. Check in Device Manager under
the disk controller. PIO mode could cause the symptoms you describe.

> Is the computer now the bottleneck instead of the HD? and,
> Did I fail to turn some caching feature on that will fix these problems?
>
> Jake

September 16, 2004 2:26:47 AM

that's fine -- both IDE channels are set to autodetect, and the HD
controller is "Ultra DMA Mode 5." I wish it were that easy, haha.

"Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message

> "JBW" <reply@group.plz> wrote in message
> > My system is a Dell Latitude D600
> >
> > 1.4 ghz
> > 512 mb ram
> > radeon 9000 w/ 32 mb
> > 1024 x 768
> > bios version a14
> > xp pro sp1
> >
> > It had a Hitachi 5400 rpm 40 gb drive, and I replaced it with a Hitachi
> 7k60
> > 7200 rpm 60 gb drive.
> >
> > Two observations:
> >
> > 1. the 7200 is quieter than the 5400, except that every now and then
there
> > is a louder-than-I'd-like-to-hear clacking sound. Almost sounds like
the
> > head is hitting metal.
> >
> > 2. I can tell that the drive is faster, it starts up faster and things
> > unrar, etc. faster. *However* the system now seems "laggy." I mean
that
> > when there is a long directory list, it'll jump a little when scrolling.
> > And when selecting several files, the mouse will jump a little.
> >
> > I know that the drive is capable of ata-6, but I think that this
computer
> > only has ata-5.
> > Could that be a problem? or,
>
> NO, but make sure some DMA mode is in use. Check in Device Manager
under
> the disk controller. PIO mode could cause the symptoms you describe.
>
> > Is the computer now the bottleneck instead of the HD? and,
> > Did I fail to turn some caching feature on that will fix these problems?
> >
> > Jake

Related resources
September 16, 2004 4:00:58 AM

Fixed (sort of)

The computer is docked and I had a USB2 hub connected to the dock. Now all
I have is the printer and mouse plugged directly into the dock, and it seems
fine.

Any idea why lots of connected (but idle) usb devices would slow the system?
I had them all connected in my previous installation of xp and I didn't
notice jittery video.

"JBW" <reply@group.plz> wrote in message
> My system is a Dell Latitude D600
>
> 1.4 ghz
> 512 mb ram
> radeon 9000 w/ 32 mb
> 1024 x 768
> bios version a14
> xp pro sp1
>
> It had a Hitachi 5400 rpm 40 gb drive, and I replaced it with a Hitachi
7k60
> 7200 rpm 60 gb drive.
>
> Two observations:
>
> 1. the 7200 is quieter than the 5400, except that every now and then there
> is a louder-than-I'd-like-to-hear clacking sound. Almost sounds like the
> head is hitting metal.
>
> 2. I can tell that the drive is faster, it starts up faster and things
> unrar, etc. faster. *However* the system now seems "laggy." I mean that
> when there is a long directory list, it'll jump a little when scrolling.
> And when selecting several files, the mouse will jump a little.
>
> I know that the drive is capable of ata-6, but I think that this computer
> only has ata-5.
>
> Could that be a problem? or,
> Is the computer now the bottleneck instead of the HD? and,
> Did I fail to turn some caching feature on that will fix these problems?
>
> Jake

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 16, 2004 1:35:13 PM

"JBW" <reply@group.plz> wrote:
>My system is a Dell Latitude D600

Ditto, though it's the 1.8GHz version.

>It had a Hitachi 5400 rpm 40 gb drive, and I replaced it with a Hitachi 7k60
>7200 rpm 60 gb drive.

I've been really happy with my Hitachi 7K60 drive. IFAICT the
clicking is the head loading and unloading, and doesn't indicate a
problem, just that the drive is coming back form low-power mode.
September 16, 2004 7:45:49 PM

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> I've been really happy with my Hitachi 7K60 drive. IFAICT the
> clicking is the head loading and unloading, and doesn't indicate a
> problem, just that the drive is coming back form low-power mode.

Mine seems to be clicking mid-operation. For example, if I unrar a 700 MB
cd iso, it makes the louder-than-average click noise maybe five or six
times. I hope it's not trying to go into low-power mode, heh.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 17, 2004 1:56:06 PM

> Mine seems to be clicking mid-operation. For example, if I unrar a 700 MB
> cd iso, it makes the louder-than-average click noise maybe five or six

Thermal recalibration.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 20, 2004 3:28:38 AM

JBW wrote:

> 2. I can tell that the drive is faster, it starts up faster and things
> unrar, etc. faster. *However* the system now seems "laggy." I mean that
> when there is a long directory list, it'll jump a little when scrolling.

My Toshiba P25 is laggy also. I checked and I am running in Ultra DMA 5
mode. However, I noticed that the check box for "Enable write-caching
on disk" was NOT checked.

Think it's safe to check it? It's already doing write-caching in Windows...
September 20, 2004 8:42:07 AM

"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" <larwe@larwe.com> wrote in message
> > Mine seems to be clicking mid-operation. For example, if I unrar a 700
MB
> > cd iso, it makes the louder-than-average click noise maybe five or six
>

> Thermal recalibration.

That sounds like something used to pull the wool over newbies' eyes -- sort
of like a snipe hunt or a "system upgrade."

By the way, regarding my original post, my system was sluggish because I
hadn't installed a necessary USB 2.0 patch. It had nothing to do with the
drive.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 20, 2004 10:43:11 AM

"Richard Grossman" <rgrossmanDELETE-THIS-PART@techIII.com> wrote in message
news:o r2dnTv1HdYA5dPcRVn-pg@adelphia.com...
> JBW wrote:
>
> > 2. I can tell that the drive is faster, it starts up faster and things
> > unrar, etc. faster. *However* the system now seems "laggy." I mean
that
> > when there is a long directory list, it'll jump a little when scrolling.
>
> My Toshiba P25 is laggy also. I checked and I am running in Ultra DMA 5
> mode. However, I noticed that the check box for "Enable write-caching
> on disk" was NOT checked.

Check it!

> Think it's safe to check it? It's already doing write-caching in
Windows...

That does nothing significant unless the HD is doing write caching.
September 21, 2004 1:50:23 AM

"Richard Grossman" <rgrossmanDELETE-THIS-PART@techIII.com> wrote in message
news:o r2dnTv1HdYA5dPcRVn-pg@adelphia.com...
> My Toshiba P25 is laggy also. I checked and I am running in Ultra DMA 5
> mode. However, I noticed that the check box for "Enable write-caching
> on disk" was NOT checked.

Mine turned out not to be HD-related at all. Rather, it was an issue with a
USB 2.0 hub and external sound card.

If you have USB devices connected, pull them and see if the lag stops. If
it does, tell me and I'll give you the link to the MS KB article that has
the fix.

JBW
!