Sign in with
Your question

Best 150$ headphones for gaming

Last response: in Components
June 20, 2010 11:04:49 PM

I need some new headphones that provide good quality for around 150 dollars. Also, is there any kind of headphone that wont tangle up so easily (all my previous ones have been destroyed by the cables getting tangled and eventually they stop working). I am basically going to just use it for gaming.

Thanks
-Computer n00b

More about : 150 headphones gaming

June 21, 2010 12:19:05 AM

Audio Technica AD700:
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD700-Audiophile-Hea...

They have the best soundstage and imaging I've ever heard out of a sub $300 headphone. You will be able to hear damn near everything in the game clearly and you will be able to pinpoint the location just from the sound, assuming the audio is at least decent.
m
l
Related resources
June 22, 2010 12:39:13 AM

I'm assuming that your being sarcastic...
m
l
June 23, 2010 5:36:38 PM

if you want to spend that much you can actually get a decent wireless headset, which obviously eliminates the problem of tangling up.
m
l
June 23, 2010 11:21:13 PM

+1 for the creative sound blaster arena.. Its 'THE' headset for gaming and is very good for music too.. But if you find white and USB connectivity to your disliking, then my next suggestion would be for the Razer Carcharias..
m
l
June 24, 2010 12:15:30 AM

The Creative Arena and Razer Carcharias are not even in the same league as the AD700s.

The AD700s are a favorite among audiophiles for their music reproduction, and they are the only gaming headphone most will recommend. The music part is subjective, but being able to hear people walking around in the next building in BFBC2 is not.
m
l
June 24, 2010 12:55:25 AM

AMW1011 said:
The Creative Arena and Razer Carcharias are not even in the same league as the AD700s.

The AD700s are a favorite among audiophiles for their music reproduction, and they are the only gaming headphone most will recommend. The music part is subjective, but being able to hear people walking around in the next building in BFBC2 is not.

I've personally not heard those AD700's so am in no position to challenge your claim.. But at the same time, am assuming You've not heard the creative either.. They are simply majestic when it comes to gaming.. I had to personally decide between the creative arena and the sennheiser pc 350 and even though i was skeptical about the USB connectivity and the white color, the audio convinced me to overlook those facts.. And i personally find them very comfortable for my gaming sessions which hold upto 2 to 3 hours on a stretch.. When it comes to audio, my suggestion is to always listen the stuff personally before purchasing..
m
l
June 24, 2010 6:15:13 AM

Yes I've auditioned the Creative Arenas and I used to think they were okay, though I preferred a similarly priced Steal Series headset over them.

The thing is, that you can't imagine the difference in quality. The Creative's have bass and boom for your gaming, which is nice, but they aren't very precise with their imaging and their soundstage, while wide, is a thin and lacks depth.

The AD700s literally allow you to pinpoint the location of any sound you hear, with in reason. The difference is very staggering.

A headset =/= high end heaphones and a good dedicated mic. You simply can't get the same quality, though you end up paying less.

If the OP could only spend $100, then the Creatives or Steal Series would be a good option.
m
l
June 25, 2010 5:59:21 PM

AMW1011 said:
Audio Technica AD700:
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD700-Audiophile-Hea...

They have the best soundstage and imaging I've ever heard out of a sub $300 headphone. You will be able to hear damn near everything in the game clearly and you will be able to pinpoint the location just from the sound, assuming the audio is at least decent.

+1
I have a pair of the AD700s (and a pair of A900s) and they are pretty incredible for the price. Not to mention Amazon has them for $86, barely more than half the OP's budget! At that price, I don't think they can be beat.
m
l
!