Sign in with
Your question

How do I set my FSB and mem timing ?? Take a look is it wrong?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 21, 2010 5:55:42 PM

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1532226

This is my system now

I have been having memory errors and memtest comes up with errors. The pc crashes.

Someone in another thread said I have my memory and sidebus set wrong.

I think I have a 1333 side bus.. but the memory only runs at 800mhz ????

advice?
a b } Memory
a c 156 V Motherboard
December 22, 2010 1:37:54 PM

Mfusick said:

Someone in another thread said I have my memory and sidebus set wrong.

Your settings are fine for a stock, non-overclocked system.

Mfusick said:

I think I have a 1333 side bus.. but the memory only runs at 800mhz ????

Yes; and no. :)  Your problem is that different people (including Intel) define terms slightly differently.

Definition time (attention purists, I'm talking about DDR2 and I'm simplifying a little :) ):
Core2 CPU's use a frontside bus (FSB). The FSB is a thing with two main characteristics: speed which is usually defined in MHz and width which in the Core2's is 64 bits wide. We are concerned with the speed.

Using the E8500 as an example, the FSB frequency is 333 MHz. The FSB clock is 1333 MHz (333 X 4). The bus is "quad pumped". It transfers 4 chunks of data into and out of the CPU each cycle. So each FSB cycle generates 4 FSB clocks. Intel tends to use FSB clock. "1333 MHz" just sounds faster than "333 MHz", yes? And nearly everyone just uses "FSB" and depends on context to resolve ambiguity.

The matching DDR2 memory clock for that frequency is 667 MHz (333 X 2). DDR2 memory transfers two chunks of data for each bus cycle, hence double the frequency. So, to run 1:1 at an FSB of 266 MHz, we need DDR2-667 RAM. Some programs, such as CPU-Z, use memory frequency instead of memory clock. On the other hand DDR2 and DDR3 specs are always based on memory clock.

Now, back to your problem ...
Try increasing the memory voltage to 2.2 volts and rerun memtest. If memtest still fails, you need new RAM.
December 22, 2010 1:50:30 PM

Thank you for your help !

What does increasing the voltage do ?
Related resources
December 29, 2010 11:49:07 AM

jsc said:

Yes; and no. :)  Your problem is that different people (including Intel) define terms slightly differently.

Definition time (attention purists, I'm talking about DDR2 and I'm simplifying a little :) ):
Core2 CPU's use a frontside bus (FSB). The FSB is a thing with two main characteristics: speed which is usually defined in MHz and width which in the Core2's is 64 bits wide. We are concerned with the speed.

Using the E8500 as an example, the FSB frequency is 333 MHz. The FSB clock is 1333 MHz (333 X 4). The bus is "quad pumped". It transfers 4 chunks of data into and out of the CPU each cycle. So each FSB cycle generates 4 FSB clocks. Intel tends to use FSB clock. "1333 MHz" just sounds faster than "333 MHz", yes? And nearly everyone just uses "FSB" and depends on context to resolve ambiguity.

The matching DDR2 memory clock for that frequency is 667 MHz (333 X 2). DDR2 memory transfers two chunks of data for each bus cycle, hence double the frequency. So, to run 1:1 at an FSB of 266 MHz, we need DDR2-667 RAM. Some programs, such as CPU-Z, use memory frequency instead of memory clock. On the other hand DDR2 and DDR3 specs are always based on memory clock.

Try increasing the memory voltage to 2.2 volts and rerun memtest. If memtest still fails, you need new RAM.

Wow this was a really intelligent and well explained response; Thank you !!! A super huge help and the effort to explain this is much appreaciated.

jsc said:

You meant 333? Because 266 seems wrong above...

jsc said:

What would the increase in the memory voltage do???

What would be the purpose ?

a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2010 3:10:49 PM

Reason for Increasing Mem Voltage
You have 4 sticks which represent a given load increase over 2 sticks, the slight increase results in a slightly lower voltage inside each memory stick. The slight increase in memory voltage is need to compensate for this.

Also for 4 sticks you may need to increase your FSB voltage and (G)MCH) voltage. Try increasing them by 0.1 V, if that works then back off to only a 0.05 Volt increase. With 4 sticks I had to raise both by 0.05 V. My MB is a gigabyte MB, it does not state what these voltages are, only increase/decrease by x amount. Other MB Bios shows the value, so you need to note what they are and add the 0.1 V to that value and select it.

Ref to DDR2 – SDR transfered data on only the leading edge of the clock pulse (hence single data rate.)
Going to DDR, data is transferred on both the leading edge and the trailing edge – hence Double Data rate. Moving to DDR2, this places two sticks in parallel again a doubling of data transfer per clock cycle. (2 x 2 X clock speed). (What JSC said, but using double dutch - LOL)

Ex. On my E6400 (P965) overclocked to 3.2 GHz. Using DDR2-800 with a Bus freq of 400. Bus Freq x 2 = 800 (the speed of one module X 2 (two sticks in parallel = 1600 which is the “Rated FSB”
December 29, 2010 3:27:11 PM

ok.. I have the crucial ballistix memory sticks.... with the lights on them.

I guess those silly lights might be stealing some power... causeing errors ???

yes/no ?
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2010 4:00:32 PM

Yes and No. My 4 sticks do NOT have Lights and I had to raise all three voltage, Dimm, FSB, and (G)MCH. More memory = Higher loading effect, Higher Freq = More loading.

DISREGUARD if you do not have DDR2-800
Don't know what multipliers are availble for your CPU, but if can set the Bus to 400 MHz and CPU multiplier to 8 ( you do have DDR2-800 correct). If so I would try.

CPU - 400 X 8 = 3.2 GHZ (FSB of 1600)
Memory - 1::1 Ratio (syncronous mode), 400 x2 x2 = FSB of 1600
December 29, 2010 4:45:54 PM

RetiredChief said:
Yes and No. My 4 sticks do NOT have Lights and I had to raise all three voltage, Dimm, FSB, and (G)MCH. More memory = Higher loading effect, Higher Freq = More loading.

DISREGUARD if you do not have DDR2-800
Don't know what multipliers are availble for your CPU, but if can set the Bus to 400 MHz and CPU multiplier to 8 ( you do have DDR2-800 correct). If so I would try.

CPU - 400 X 8 = 3.2 GHZ (FSB of 1600)
Memory - 1::1 Ratio (syncronous mode), 400 x2 x2 = FSB of 1600

Ok,

Thanks for you reply and your help.

I believe I have that... How can I tell ?

I remember buying memory that was rated higher than I needed at the time. I assumed the mobo just downclocks it to what I need.

part number BL12864AL1065 is what I bought from crucial directly.

I think it was PC8500 DDR2.

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?...

I just scanned my system at crucial to see what it said

I could not find the part number on crucial site anymore... as they no longer MFG this exact stick..

But a google search revealed this: (might or might not be correct)

Part Number
BL12864AL1065
Model
Micron Technology - Crucial Ballistix Tracer
Description
Crucial Ballistix Tracer Memory - 1 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR2 - 1066 MHz / PC2-8500 - CL5 - 2.2 V - unbuffered - non-ECC1

I think this is a review of it:
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=...

ok,

as for the MOTHERBOARD:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?model=Ma...

I have an Asus Formula II Maximus Mobo. It is LGA775 socket, intel x38/ICH9R.

The system bus in manual lists 1600/1333/1066/800
Memory is 4x240pin DIMM sockets support unbuffered ECC DDR2 1200*/1066/800/667 *1200mhz after overclocking
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2010 6:29:36 PM

Had to wait till I got home, also had to switch to old computer (both my old and new computer are hooked up to same monitor/keyboard and mouse)

Download, and install/run CPUID CPU-Z.
At the top select tab "memory" this will show you what the memory is currently running at.
Selecting the SPD tab will show you what settings are available (stored in the momery modules.
Mine is PC-6400 and the SPD shows an EPP#1 setting of : CL4,4,4,12, ,2T @ 2.05 V - this is what I manually set my Bios to.

Me - DDR2-800 (PC6400)
You - DDR2-1066 (PC8500) . Note to run in synchronous Mode (1:1) would require a bus speed of 533. At lower bus speeds you would have to set the ratio to a different value (would be as-synchronous mode) Sychronous mode is more effecient

Here is a quote I found on newegg for a DDR2-PC8500 memory.
Ive decided now to just run them at 800mhz (sadly) at 4-4-4-12 @ 1,8v. Since 3dmark 06 was the only thing I had around to stress test it, I actually got better marks at 800mhz 4-4-4-12 then I did at 1066mhz 7-7-7-20. Guess to each his own though. Although Im still extremely disappointed with Kingston on this. I wanted 1066, not somthing that can be OCED to 1066 and cause me a huge headache. Will go w/ another company next time.
END QUOTE

Added: link to CPU-Z (Origninally I referenced HWMonitor also a handy feebee)
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
December 29, 2010 6:38:32 PM

RetiredChief said:
Had to wait till I got home, also had to switch to old computer (both my old and new computer are hooked up to same monitor/keyboard and mouse)

Lol... me too !!!!

I have two rigs... and need to switch keyboards and mice. What really sucks is that I have a RAZER gaming keyboard that is USB and for some reason the BIOS does not see it all.

So when I need to do stuff like set up the bios.. I need to go and hook up my trusty old microsoft wireless with keyboard and ps2 port connections.

Otherwise.. I can hit delete all day and I can't even get into my BIOS nevermind change a setting... lol

December 29, 2010 6:46:21 PM

RetiredChief said:

Download, and install/run CPUID HWMonitor.
At the top select tab "memory" this will show you what the memory is currently running at.
Selecting the SPD tab will show you what settings are available (stored in the momery modules.
Mine is PC-6400 and the SPD shows an EPP#1 setting of : CL4,4,4,12, ,2T @ 2.05 V - this is what I manually set my Bios to.

Me - DDR2-800 (PC6400)
You - DDR2-1066 (PC8500) . Note to run in synchronous Mode (1:1) would require a bus speed of 533. At lower bus speeds you would have to set the ratio to a different value (would be as-synchronous mode) Sychronous mode is more effecient

I really appreciate your help and excellent reply's!!!

Basically I still need to absorb all this but your a major help and I am doing some research online myself. I have a 120gig Vertex2 I am about to install, but I am waiting because I have some bad crucial Balistix memory. I got off the phone today with them and they are sending out new replacement memory (the new version has a different build so I have to replace all 4 sticks)

I am running the pc on only two sticks now (I test two sticks and they failed... I tried the other two sticks and they seemed to pass the memtest86 tests for about 10 minutes... ) and I removed what I think to be the bad stick or sticks...

When I get the 4 new sticks.. I plan to install and run the bootable CD memtest to verify the memory is good. A this time I want to make sure I set it up properly for max performance.

In my BIOS everything was set to auto mode (asus factory defaults) including the voltage.

How would I know what to increase to ? Since it does not tell me what it is running now.
My mobo has indicator lights (green, yellow, red) for memory as well as cpu and the north and south bridges that manually shows me voltage... I can easily see these through a clear glass case on my thermaltake armor case.

so your suggesting I take it off the "auto" settings and manually set it ?

I have PC8500 but I also have an X38 board that is set to run stock slower than my memory is rated I believe.
Whats the best option for getting maximum performance from my set up ?
December 29, 2010 6:51:26 PM

RetiredChief said:

Download, and install/run CPUID CPU-Z.

Added: link to CPU-Z (Origninally I referenced HWMonitor also a handy feebee)
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

[ url=http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1562881][/url]

I just ran it. One thing I noticed it is running single channel since I just removed all 4 sticks of ram when on the phone with crucial customer service setting up my RMA#

I must have reinstalled it wrong...
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2010 6:52:58 PM

My setup not too hard to switch between
Both computers Plus a standalong bluray player/dvd writer go to monitor/HDTV (Samsung P2770) so just have to hit the remote to switch between. My keyboard and mouse (wireless) plug into a usb switch so just have to hit the button to switch keyboard/mouse to computer 1, or computer 2. For Bios I have to do the same, I plug a wires PS2 keyboard in, after I'm in bios - both keyboards work. The standalone blu-ray drive has cable input - sometimes want to record a tv show.
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2010 6:59:16 PM

Probably have one stick in wrong slot. Slots are 0,1,2,3. Normally for dual channel they have to be in like slot 0,2 or 1, 3 (should specify in manual.)

As too settings, my new computer (P55 MB) allows me to select XMP for memory and then specify which profile to use. If your mB Bios allows you to select one of the profiles stored then try that else you will need to manually set it up. ( Values All under the SPD tab for other values - LEAVE on auto)

added - your link does not work
December 29, 2010 7:02:30 PM

RetiredChief said:

Keep in mind I just pulled out two sticks... so now only the first two slots are full. I think I should have used slots 1 and 3 as when I look now they are colored the same colors... perhaps the dual channel option ??

anyways I did this:

under SPD it lists at PC2-6400 (400mhz)

It lists JEDEC #2 as 333mhz CAS latency 4.0, voltage 1.8V

It lists JEDEC #3 as 400mhz CAS latency 5.0, voltage 1.8V

It lists EPP#1 as 400mhz CAS Latency 4.0, voltage 2.2V

It lists EPP #2 as 533mhz CAS latency 5.0 2.2V

Should I power down and install the other two sticks of ram ?? Or move the second from slot 1 and 2 to slots 1 and 3... does it make a difference for this information above? (I will swap the slot when I power down just not sure if I should power down yet)
December 29, 2010 7:09:03 PM

RetiredChief said:
Probably have one stick in wrong slot. Slots are 0,1,2,3. Normally for dual channel they have to be in like slot 0,2 or 1, 3 (should specify in manual.)

As too settings, my new computer (P55 MB) allows me to select XMP for memory and then specify which profile to use. If your mB Bios allows you to select one of the profiles stored then try that else you will need to manually set it up. ( Values All under the SPD tab for other values - LEAVE on auto)

added - your link does not work

Lol.. I was too slow with my reply you beat me to it! but I kinda figured this out.

Yes in my manual it lists the four slots... two and two. They are labeled DIMM_A1 and DIMM-A2 and then DIMM_B1 and then DIMM_B2.

for dual channel it says to have slots 1 and 3 (A1+B1)

So I am installed wrong being in slots A1 and A2. I assumed it is running single channel right now...

EDITED:

In a day or two I will have 4 new sticks of RAM, I will boot into Memtest86 and verify they are working without errors. All 4 slots will be full meaning I will be running dual channels then.

Your help is greatly apreaciate so I can set my BIOS properly.
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2010 7:09:19 PM

EPP#1 best option performance wise altho voltage is higher. I'd probably go with the jedec #2 as voltage is consideably lower (Not a big performance hit going from CL4 -> CL 5. With all four slots filled you could raise the voltage to 1.9 or even 2.0 with NO problem. If you go with the 2.2 Volt setting (EPP 1, that does not give much headroom for raising the voltage if need)

Added - On your vertex-2 - great choice
Advice - down load Intels latest RST drivers (Ver 9.6 I think). also get the "F6" driver (Select which version you need 32 bit or 64 bit.) You need to place the F6 driver on a thumbdrive. Do a custom install (you are using win 7 correct). On the page where you partition/select which partition to install win 7 to there is a SMALL check box for additional/need drivers check the box and broose to thumdrive for the ahci driver - Don't for get to set HDD to ahci in bios before loading the operating system.

On how long to run memtest - Min of 2 hours (others say 8 hrs) after you have windows installed download prime 95 and run it for a min of 1 hour (in blend test mode - that's the default mode it comes up in)
December 29, 2010 7:17:17 PM

RetiredChief said:

Added - On your vertex-2 - great choice
Advice - down load Intels latest RST drivers (Ver 9.6 I think). also get the "F6" driver (Select which version you need 32 bit or 64 bit.) You need to place the F6 driver on a thumbdrive. Do a custom install (you are using win 7 correct). On the page where you partition/select which partition to install win 7 to there is a SMALL check box for additional/need drivers check the box and broose to thumdrive for the ahci driver - Don't for get to set HDD to ahci in bios before loading the operating system.

Yes I won't install the 120gig Vertex2 until I have all 4 sticks of crucial memory installed and verify I have no memory errors. Once I am good to go here I will install the SSD drive and clean install Windows 7 64bit.

yes I have windows 7 64bit now as OS.

I plan to just hook up the SSD and install clean to it. Then I can pull any old info off my Velociraptor (my system drive now) once it is running in windows and copy over to either external drive, or my other 1TB 7200rpm samsung that is also installed. Then I plan to format clean the velociraptor and use that for the drive default for things like my music, internet downloads and stuff.. Long term files and folders will just be moved to the 1TB down the road.
The SSD will be for OS and perhaps a game or two I play all the time.

I will get the latest Intel RST drivers when I install. Where do I get? Link ? I can do the F6 driver and use a thumbdrive. I know the screen your talking about where you choose your install drive, and can format, partition ect...

I appreaciate the advice !!! I probably would forget to set the HDD to AHCI in the bios without you... lol

RetiredChief said:

On how long to run memtest - Min of 2 hours (others say 8 hrs) after you have windows installed download prime 95 and run it for a min of 1 hour (in blend test mode - that's the default mode it comes up in)

I will let it run for hours while I do some things around the house... Or even overnight if needed.

I will wait for the new RMA memory modules to arrive (any day now) from crucial. I will install and run the memory test to verify everything is 100% before I install my SSD and clean install a new OS.
December 29, 2010 7:30:58 PM

So first I would need to take off the AUTO setting in the BIOS. And your saying to manually set it. I am not sure I understand 100% but I am learning fast.

I will have all 4 memory slots full on the motherboard. I want max performance. So what should I set? You said EPP #1 is best performance wise, but your also saying that being 2.2v I don't have much room to go ?? If I wanted max performance how should I set my bios?

It seems my stock motherboard officially supports DDR-2 800mhz but with Asus Super Memspeed Technology it can natively support up to DDR2-1066mhz.

It shows settings for the FSB of both 1066 and 1333... and for DDR it shows 667, 800,1066 so I am a bit confused :( 
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2010 7:51:32 PM

Yes that link. But Ok

A little later on I'see if I can down load your mB manual and have a look - most manuals are kind of shitty when it comes to explaining the options in bios.

If you go with the 800 setting, the difference between the CL 5 and CL 4 is rather small, may not even tell the diff in operation, only show up on benchmarks. I still recommend the 800 vs a higher speed. I would use the 800 initiall w/CL5 @ 1.8 Volts make sure that is stable and no errors. Installl operating system. Once that is all said and done, then you can play with memory settings - JUST make sure when you change settings that you run Memtest for a min of one to two hours before allowing it to boot into windows.
December 29, 2010 9:35:02 PM

RetiredChief said:
Yes that link. But Ok

A little later on I'see if I can down load your mB manual and have a look - most manuals are kind of shitty when it comes to explaining the options in bios.

If you go with the 800 setting, the difference between the CL 5 and CL 4 is rather small, may not even tell the diff in operation, only show up on benchmarks. I still recommend the 800 vs a higher speed. I would use the 800 initiall w/CL5 @ 1.8 Volts make sure that is stable and no errors. Installl operating system. Once that is all said and done, then you can play with memory settings - JUST make sure when you change settings that you run Memtest for a min of one to two hours before allowing it to boot into windows.

I really appreciate your help in this!

I put a link to the owners manual on Asus sight in one of my posts above.

I have been reading it all day.. starting to figure this out.

That sounds like a good plan. Install the new memory... conservative solid setup... verify no errors... install OS..

Then start tweaking :) 
January 3, 2011 12:16:36 PM

well I got two sticks of ram today... lol still waiting for the other two to show up :( 

UPS tracking shows the second box still out for delivery... so I expect it today. Hopefully I can get rebuilding and tweaking.

Quick question in meantime,

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology ???

Should I turn it off? I saw in another thread someone reccomended this.

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/20...
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2011 3:02:10 PM

I believe most turn it off if OCing the CPU. If not then leave enabled.
January 3, 2011 5:00:57 PM

it only saves energy right? It is not for any added performance whatsoever ?? So turning it off would not harm performance at all ??
Can anyone verify that?

also for RetiredChief,

Quick question about what you said earlier about the SSD drivers:

RetiredChief said:

The vertex performs best on an Intel P5d/H55/X58 MB using the latest intel ahci driver (Ver 9.6) (Google Intel RST) to fin download of the matrix driver and the "F6" driver

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldI...

Is this the correct one ???

or is it this one? (below)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&...(Intel%C2%AE+RST)&lang=eng

--------------------------------------

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 9.6 supports TRIM in AHCI mode and in RAID mode for drives that are not part of a RAID volume.

A defect was filed to correct the information in the Help file that states that TRIM is supported on RAID volumes.

This applies to:
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST)
January 3, 2011 6:05:25 PM

OK, I need some major help!.

I am at a loss.

I installed the new memory (4 new sticks) crucial sent me and I booted into memtest86 and I got errors !!!!

Is that possible?

I am pretty sure now that it must be a setting that is causing my problems..

Any idea what it could be ???
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
January 4, 2011 3:15:52 PM

First on your question of which file(s) to down load. You need Both, One is for puting on a floppy (Thumbdrive) and used when installing. the other one is for after win 7 has been installed.

On memory.
Is bios detecting it correctly, ie seting the dram voltage to manf specs. and does timing and speed appear correct.

Test one pair by itself and then the 2nd set.
January 4, 2011 3:30:07 PM

RetiredChief said:
First on your question of which file(s) to down load. You need Both, One is for puting on a floppy (Thumbdrive) and used when installing. the other one is for after win 7 has been installed.

On memory.
Is bios detecting it correctly, ie seting the dram voltage to manf specs. and does timing and speed appear correct.

Test one pair by itself and then the 2nd set.

Ok.. I did the F6 at the install screen after I formated my drives from a thumbdrive. I am good there. I can install the other one now. I am now installed on my SSD as I wanted to try it out. I plan to reinstall clean again after I figure out this memory error problem.

I am happy to report the SSD is faster than my previous velociraptor :) 

As for testing memory,

I tested each pair and neither had errors... but as 4 do...

Should I test longer I only ran memtest86 for about 10min.

January 5, 2011 12:01:47 AM

Any reason why 4 sticks would have error but 2 does not ?
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
January 5, 2011 11:39:30 AM

In my E6400 System when I increased to 4 sticks I had to bump the FSB Voltage and The (G)MCH voltage up by 0.1 volt to compensate for the increase load.

No need to test longer, if getting an error.
January 5, 2011 12:37:20 PM

No what I meant was that I only tested for like 8 or 10min when just two sticks and got no errors... wondering if I should have tested longer.

the errors on 4 sticks comes sooner than that... so I know there is errors there.

I really appreaciate your help!

So I should go into BIOS and set manual instead of auto and boost the FSB and the memory by .1volts?

the (g)MCH voltage should be labeled just like this?

I am gonna check the manual now:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?model=Ma...

PS EDITED: how do I know what the FSB is currently running if it is set to auto ?
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
January 5, 2011 9:26:31 PM

Yes, if no errors you need to run for at least 2 hours to verify no errors (ie w/your two sticks.

On voltages, not sure how asus displays them in bios. On my E6400 System I just went in an told to increase by 0.1 V. I'd put it to manual and sys what it displays and go from there.
January 6, 2011 11:37:39 AM

When I switch to manual it lists auto as option for each item, and when I click off auto it starts at lowest voltage setting and goes up...

So I have no clue what "auto" was running, thus no clue where to start :( 

The link for my manual was above post.

I am at a loss here.

I should just leave it on manual ?
January 13, 2011 12:42:04 PM

?????????
!