Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire 4890 Toxic to Atomic BIOS?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 22, 2010 9:36:50 AM

I was wondering if anyone who owns a 4890 Toxic has tried changing the BIOS to the 4890 Atomic? They are virtually the same card, but the Atomic BIOS uses a stock core clock of 1000mhz instead of the Toxic's 960mhz. For anyone who has tried, did you see any benefits or instability issues? I'm considering about trying it out, but I might not if there isn't any difference.

TIA :D 
March 22, 2010 6:07:43 PM

Only some 4890s can operate at 1GHz and remain stable. First, overclock your card to make sure it's stable at 1Ghz, then you can worry about flashing it ^_^. I would also suggest you have a backup card to boot your machine up with so you can reflash it should anything go wrong.
m
l
March 22, 2010 6:16:31 PM

kokin, I think the Atomic BIOS is downloadable... TechpowerUp has 44 different HD4890 BIOS versions available here:
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?page=1&arc...
I'm pretty sure the Atomic is the Sapphire one listed as 1000/1050.

We discussed your clock speeds in another thread, so if your card's already stable at 1025/1111 as you said, I'm not certain you'll need it. But, it may be helpful to see how the two BIOS compare as far as voltages and scaling are concerned.
m
l
March 23, 2010 3:04:41 AM

RazberyBandit said:
kokin, I think the Atomic BIOS is downloadable... TechpowerUp has 44 different HD4890 BIOS versions available here:
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?page=1&arc...
I'm pretty sure the Atomic is the Sapphire one listed as 1000/1050.

We discussed your clock speeds in another thread, so if your card's already stable at 1025/1111 as you said, I'm not certain you'll need it. But, it may be helpful to see how the two BIOS compare as far as voltages and scaling are concerned.

Oh I can get my core up to 1050mhz stable, but I was just wondering if anyone has tried doing a BIOS flash and have seen any performance gains. I already have a copy of my card's BIOS and the Atomic BIOS, but I'm hesitant to flash, especially if I won't see any difference in overclocking potential. Thanks for the link though Razbery.
m
l
!