FX-8350 trouble getting stable

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
Hey guys, I recently installed a new mobo and I had to start my oc from scarth. I was previously runnung stable at 4.7ghz but I have been running into multiple issues this time around. I have an ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty board, and was able to get things stable on Prime95 for over 4 hours at 4.6ghz with 1.435v and LLC disabled (so seeing Vcore spikes to 1.52v or so). After doing some research about the LLC on my board I've been trying to run with 25% LLC so that I don't see so much Vcore fluctuation, which has worked, keeps my Vcore around .10-.20 of where it is on bios. No Vdroop as well. I've given the cpu 1.45v which jumps to 1.47 in Prime95 when at 4.7ghz, my oc settings in bios are:

As a sidenote I ran memtest86 last night, 8 passes in 7 hours, no errors. All Power Consumption and saving options are off, I've gone throught everything. PCI Spread Spectrum disabled, turbo core disabled, app power management disabled. Ram timings are set to a manual profile. XMP 1.3 for the Patriot Viper 3 series.

CPU FSB=210mhz
CPU Multiplier=22.5x
HT and NB=2310mhz each
CPU/NB VID=1.2v Should I increase this? Considering HT and Northbridge frequencies are upped?
VID=1.4500v
VCore=1.4500v in bios jumping to 1.47 in Prime95
LLC=25% (Auto, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%)
Ram Voltage: 1.51v
NB and all other voltages are set to auto.

Also, when LLC was put higher than 25% I noticed undervoltage and the pc wouldn't always boot.

I'm getting Illegal Sumouts in Prime95 as well without voltage upping itself to stay stable, which leads me to believe I may need to be tweaking something other than Vcore right now. Thanks for the help!

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
I'd put the LLC on auto and try if you are still getting trouble then up the cpu/NB VID its alright to go up to 1.3v but at 2310mhz you shouldn't need to have it that high you could bring it up to 1.25v but this will also increase temperature of cpu slightly and on the HTT speed there is no performance increase having it faster than 2000mhz i don't think its that causing you the trouble but it can lead to instability where as a high cpu NB speed will give you a performance increase

durquavian

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

Well not quite sure, but I believe that the 2000 ht was for the older cpus where upping resulted in no, or rather little, performance gain. These FX cpus come standard 2600 and are rated for such.

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
So I did some research and found that the Viper 3 series RAM I had wasn't tested compatible with my motherboard. I assumed this may have been causing my odd instability in Prime even though I could pass IBT. Well I ordered some 1600mhz RAM, HyperX Genesis and it is tested and compatible with my mobo, still though even at all stock settings on cpu and mobo and ram I cannot pass Prime. Is my cpu a dud?

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I To have a AMD 8350 and have had trouble clocking it, I have 1600Mhz Samsung memory and it is very stable at stock speeds, even if I open it up for the boost speed of 4.2 the system will become unstable. So I don’t do it anymore, and the system runs fine and stable. This is the most flaky processor I have ever owned from AMD, I had a FX60, 1100T, and now the FX8350, I am not impressed with its clocking ability, but for gaming it seems fine.

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012

Yeah, I agree to some extent with that, at least so far my experiences have demonstrated this cpu to be difficult. I had a phenom II 965 before this easily overclocked to 4ghz. It is rough though to have to spend more money on new ram to find this out.

Anyone else have other thoughts? Tips, anything, or should I just deal with the instability? I still cannot get stable even with everything at stock.

flamehead269

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
I too have had problems overclocking my FX-8350, but I figured it out, some reason, using AMD Overdrive really doesnt work with my comp, but all I did was mess with volts to the cpu and increased multipler in my BIOS and I can run my CPU at 4.5 Ghz overclocked perfectly fine!! Also have my vengence fixed to 1600 Mhz instead of default 1333 :p

durquavian

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=162950.0

Granted that the above link is a MSI MoBo forum but we have been discussing this a lot. So far the issue we have been having is voltage stability with the MSI MoBo. I have gotten up to 4.8ghz stable, but run 4.6ghz for safety, But with the voltage issues anything higher would/may result in voltage issues above the safe voltage 1.55v.

From what I have seen 4.6 will require 1.43-4 volts for stability, 4.8 1.46v and 5.0 about 1.49-1.50v. Now b4 MSI last 13.1 bios update I was completely stable thru all tests ie: IBT OCCT Prime95. After 13.1 had to up my voltage 1 notch and alter a lot of other voltages to get back to stable, just not prime 95 yet, no time to test it yet.

MAYBE like MSI all MoBo have yet to complete the Vishera board compatibility issue. Msi has acknowledged this and is working on a solution. Maybe soon they will.

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
Yea, still have random stability issues. I'll pass IBT, restart pc not touching anything, re-run IBT and freeze, I've done everything from buying new ram, to a new motherboard. I'm starting to get frustrated with this FX in some regards, although right now I am stable in IBT and it never bottlenecks in games like Crysis 3, and the new Tomb Raider all on highest available settings so I can't complain really, seems 4.6ghz is a good place to be for my gaming demands. I just enjoy getting the most I can. When do you think we will see new chips for AM3+ sockets?

GTX karl

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
I know this was a long time ago but I had the same problem but after many sleepless night of tinkering I have finaly got it right on my board

Fx 8350 at 4.6Ghz 1.35v

COOL n Quiet disabled
Boost disabled
unleashing mode enabled
Thermal throttling disabled
Core clock offsets by 4% on the 4th 5th 6th 7th and 8th core so they are all running at 4.6GHz very stable hope this helps.