Removing TV Card - Can I Remove Cables Too?

bad_bob00

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Hello,
I've got a TV card in my computer that I never use so I'm going to try and sell it. Its called a "Video Mate E700". There is a cable that runs to the top front of my machine, I was presuming that it goes to my headphone or microphone jack? And theres another cable that goes to the motherboard, I think its labelled "Power SW".
I was wondering if I can remove both these cables and sell them with the TV card, or do I need to keep them and plug them in elsewhere?

Thanks for any help

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
You can't sell them off. The first cable you described probably runs to the headphone/microphone jack as you suspected. Without them, your front panel connectors will not work.

As for the "Power SW", it's the Power SWitch. If you remove that, you can't turn your computer on with the CPU's power switch. That isn't something you'll like, right? :)

Anyways, if both cables connected to the motherboard directly, then they must be important. If it connects to the TV card, then you can probably afford to remove it.

bad_bob00

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Thanks gracefully :)

Just wondering why do you think the power cable goes from the TV card to the motherboard? Wouldn't it go from the on/off switch to the motherboard? Not sure why it goes via the TV card :-/

I'll definitely keep both the cables then! But I'll have to work out where to plug them in when the TV card gets removed though...

Thanks again

bad_bob00

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Ahh sorry, Power SW goes from the TV card to the top front of the tower, presumably the power switch?

The other grey round cable on the TV card goes to the motherboard.

I tried taking a photo, I can upload this if it helps?

Thanks

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
You should have uploaded it anyway. It will surely help. Why the Power SW goes to the TV card is beyond me. It's normally connected to the motherboard, and I've seen it that way for a looooong time.

The other gray round cable could be headphone/mic jacks. If you can, upload photos of the headers themselves. Unplug them, take a picture of the connector, and plug it back in. So we can identify the plugs.

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
It's a bit too blurry, but I can make out the headers. They are the Power SWitch, and the Power LED. The Power LED indicates if the PC is on or off. You can place both of those on the pin area on the bottom right of the first image you posted. It's the area with a distinct red and green wire.

This image should aid you in finding out where to place the wires. Note that if the Power LED doesn't turn on when you turn on the PC, just reverse the two Power LED wires. They are picky with + and -. :)
frontPanelDiagram.gif

bad_bob00

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Thanks very much for the help gracefully!

Just a bit confused, if the round grey cable goes from the TV card to the motherboard then surely it wouldn't connect the motherboard to the motherboard? Wouldn't I need to move the end thats currently in the video card to a different position?

Thanks again