Hp a6755f
Windows Vista Home Edition SP2 64bit
CPU: AMD Phenom 9550 Quad core 2.20 Ghz
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3200
RAM: 6.00 gb DDR2
HDD: 500gb 7200RPM

More about : good computer build

June 21, 2010 1:55:51 AM

For a new build, no its not very good. The Phenom 9550 is the first generation so its slower and performs worse than a Phenom II or an Athlon II, i suggest looking for something with windows 7, and an Athlon II or Phenom II if you are looking at AMD prebuilts.
m
l
June 21, 2010 1:58:33 AM

Agreed with hunter. The Athlon II x4 635 is a $99 processor that I'm fairly sure can overpower the 9550. And for the GPU, if you plan on gaming basically at all, then you're going to want something bigger. I'd give up some RAM in order to get a little better graphics power if I were you.
Just my $0.02 on the topic. :) 
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

June 21, 2010 1:59:24 AM

For what purpose? An AMD 133MHz with 64MB of ram and a 1GB hard drive is a good build... depending on purpose...

So we cannot answer your question unless you tell us the purpose.

Gaming? Definitely not.
Web surfing and multi-tasking? for sure
Single threaded applications that need a lot of CPU? no.

Let's break it down:
The CPU is old but it is a quad core. It will be no good at anything intensively single-threaded but if you are surfing the net or doing anything "normal" users do, it will be more than ok. It will also be good for multi-tasking. ie, having a lot of programs open at once. I wouldn't use it for gaming. It is a 9x50 model though, so they fixed the TLB bug in this model.

the 3200 is integrated. Do not expect to game more than 800x600 on minimum settings for a game like COD4. If you are gaming, this is no good. If you want to accelerate HD movies, it will suffice. Normal use, it will suffice.

6GB of ram is enough for virtually any use today. I only have 4GB and I game and do intensive multi-tasking or the occasional image editing.

The HDD is fine, if you know that you will not use more than about 400GB of space.

Don't listen to people who tell you not to get it just because it is old technology.

One more question: Price? What price will you be paying for this? We can tell you if you are being ripped off or not. ;) 
June 21, 2010 3:29:42 AM

For gaming paid $500 new and for the gpu I have changed my mind how about a Nvidia GeForce Gt 240 1GB DDR3 HDMI
m
l
June 21, 2010 5:02:34 AM

Best answer selected by caboose125.
m
l
June 21, 2010 5:05:13 AM

enzo matrix said:
For what purpose? An AMD 133MHz with 64MB of ram and a 1GB hard drive is a good build... depending on purpose...

So we cannot answer your question unless you tell us the purpose.

Gaming? Definitely not.
Web surfing and multi-tasking? for sure
Single threaded applications that need a lot of CPU? no.

Let's break it down:
The CPU is old but it is a quad core. It will be no good at anything intensively single-threaded but if you are surfing the net or doing anything "normal" users do, it will be more than ok. It will also be good for multi-tasking. ie, having a lot of programs open at once. I wouldn't use it for gaming. It is a 9x50 model though, so they fixed the TLB bug in this model.

the 3200 is integrated. Do not expect to game more than 800x600 on minimum settings for a game like COD4. If you are gaming, this is no good. If you want to accelerate HD movies, it will suffice. Normal use, it will suffice.

6GB of ram is enough for virtually any use today. I only have 4GB and I game and do intensive multi-tasking or the occasional image editing.

The HDD is fine, if you know that you will not use more than about 400GB of space.

Don't listen to people who tell you not to get it just because it is old technology.

One more question: Price? What price will you be paying for this? We can tell you if you are being ripped off or not. ;) 

For gaming paid $500 new and for the gpu I have changed my mind how about a Nvidia GeForce Gt 240 1GB DDR3 HDMI
m
l
!