Night Pictures of Las Vegas

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 6, 2004 12:56:57 AM

Here are a couple of night time pictures of Las Vegas. The first of
Fremont Street was taken in 1952 by my father. The second was taken by
myself from atop the Stratosphere Tower about 2 years ago.
http://gbe.dynip.com/Las_Vegas

--
Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net>
Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway

Gary,
Very nice. The colors in the digital shot are very nice.
I'm very impressed by the 1952 photo. That is a keeper. Thanks for
sharing!

Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net> wrote in

> Here are a couple of night time pictures of Las Vegas. The first of
> Fremont Street was taken in 1952 by my father. The second was taken by
> myself from atop the Stratosphere Tower about 2 years ago.
> http://gbe.dynip.com/Las_Vegas

Anonymous
December 6, 2004 1:30:17 PM

Great pictures. Did you ever think about going back to Fremont Street
and taking another pic? I think a half-century snapshot comparison would
be great.

Regards,
Paul

Gary Edstrom wrote:
> Here are a couple of night time pictures of Las Vegas. The first of
> Fremont Street was taken in 1952 by my father. The second was taken by
> myself from atop the Stratosphere Tower about 2 years ago.
> http://gbe.dynip.com/Las_Vegas

Related resources
December 6, 2004 3:45:43 PM

Gary -- both beautiful shots. I took some 35mm of downtown LV in the
mid-50's and I would like to try to shoot the same scenes early next year
with my newly acquired D70.

If it's not too presumptuous, could you tell us what camera, lens and
settings you used for the Stratosphere Tower shot?

Thanks,
Jim from Hilton Head
--
Remove the obvious to reply.

> From: Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital
> Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 21:56:57 GMT
> Subject: Night Pictures of Las Vegas
>
> Here are a couple of night time pictures of Las Vegas. The first of
> Fremont Street was taken in 1952 by my father. The second was taken by
> myself from atop the Stratosphere Tower about 2 years ago.
> http://gbe.dynip.com/Las_Vegas
>
> --
> Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net>
> Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway
> You may be a redneck if you think the French Riviera is a
> foreign car.
> The above tagline is number 526 in a series of 547. Collect them all!
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 5:00:54 PM

Note: Courtesy copy of this followup sent to author via email.

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 10:30:17 +0000, Paul Williams
<paulw@informatics.bangor.ac.uk> wrote:

>Great pictures. Did you ever think about going back to Fremont Street
>and taking another pic? I think a half-century snapshot comparison would
>be great.
>
>Regards,
>Paul
>
>Gary Edstrom wrote:
>> Here are a couple of night time pictures of Las Vegas. The first of
>> Fremont Street was taken in 1952 by my father. The second was taken by
>> myself from atop the Stratosphere Tower about 2 years ago.
>> http://gbe.dynip.com/Las_Vegas

I may be getting up there within the next month or so. I haven't been
to Fremont Street in years. Is the Golden Nugget still there? I would
like to try to take a picture framed as close as possible to the 1952
picture.

Gary

--
Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net>
Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway
To err is human; to forgive, beyond the scope of the Operating
System.
The above tagline is number 438 in a series of 547. Collect them all!
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 5:00:55 PM

Yes the GOLDEN NUGGET still stands downtown. I know because I work there

"Gary Edstrom" <gedstrom@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Note: Courtesy copy of this followup sent to author via email.
>
> On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 10:30:17 +0000, Paul Williams
> <paulw@informatics.bangor.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> >Great pictures. Did you ever think about going back to Fremont Street
> >and taking another pic? I think a half-century snapshot comparison would
> >be great.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Paul
> >
> >Gary Edstrom wrote:
> >> Here are a couple of night time pictures of Las Vegas. The first of
> >> Fremont Street was taken in 1952 by my father. The second was taken by
> >> myself from atop the Stratosphere Tower about 2 years ago.
> >> http://gbe.dynip.com/Las_Vegas
> >>

> I may be getting up there within the next month or so. I haven't been
> to Fremont Street in years. Is the Golden Nugget still there? I would
> like to try to take a picture framed as close as possible to the 1952
> picture.
>
> Gary
>
> --
> Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net>
> Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway
> To err is human; to forgive, beyond the scope of the Operating
> System.
> The above tagline is number 438 in a series of 547. Collect them all!
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 10:27:37 PM

Note: Courtesy copy of this followup sent to author via email.

I took it with an Oly E-10. I rested the camera on top of one of those
telescopes that they have on the top outside deck. I wanted to get the
camera as high up as I could. That is the only way I could keep the
secondary railing on the outside of the structure out of the picture. I
wish they had made it easier to take this kind of picture. I tried
shooting through the window on the lower level, but the picture just
didn't come out as good.

According to the EXIF data on the original picture:

1/13 second
F 2.2
ASA 320
Highest quality jpeg
2240x1680
I was zoomed almost all the way out. Just zoomed in enough to keep the
railing out of the picture.

I do not have a record of the white balance settings, however.

Gary

--
Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net>
Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway
Behind every good computer is a jumble of cables!
The above tagline is number 57 in a series of 547. Collect them all!
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 11:07:11 PM

"Gary Edstrom" <gedstrom@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>Gary Edstrom wrote:
>>> Here are a couple of night time pictures of Las Vegas. The first of
>>> Fremont Street was taken in 1952 by my father.
> . . .
> I may be getting up there within the next month or so. I haven't been
> to Fremont Street in years. Is the Golden Nugget still there? I would
> like to try to take a picture framed as close as possible to the 1952
> picture.

yup, it is there. the facade has changed. the cowboy is still down the
street. one thing is vastly different though - there is a screen roof over
the street on which they do laser shows.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 2:29:26 AM

> >Gary Edstrom wrote:
> >> Here are a couple of night time pictures of Las Vegas. The first of
> >> Fremont Street was taken in 1952 by my father. The second was taken by
> >> myself from atop the Stratosphere Tower about 2 years ago.
> >> http://gbe.dynip.com/Las_Vegas

That's cool, especially the old one.
Do you have any other old pics of your dad's that you can share? I love
looking at old pics like that.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 5:41:04 AM

On 06 Dec 2004 23:29:26 GMT, annika1980@aol.com (Annika1980) wrote:

>That's cool, especially the old one.
>Do you have any other old pics of your dad's that you can share? I love
>looking at old pics like that.

I have just started scanning some of my father's old transparencies. He
was just a casual photographer and used an old Argus C-3. Many of his
pictures are of family & friends. A number of others are of scenery
which would not change much over the years. Only a limited number of
pictures would have any sort of historical interest such as the Fremont
Street picture I posted.

One problem that was common in some of the early pictures: My father was
always looking for a bargain. Whenever he found some film or processing
house that was cheaper than Kodak, he would use it. The result is that
a number of the early pictures are VERY faded now due to cheap film or
poor processing. He eventually learned that you get what you pay for
when it comes to film & processing.

I've been going through trying to restore some of the more important
pictures. I have had pretty good success on some of them. The Fremont
Street picture was taken on Kodachrome & processed by Kodak. The colors
have not faded at all.

Gary

--
Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net>
Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway
If procrastination is so bad, why was tomorrow invented?
The above tagline is number 255 in a series of 547. Collect them all!
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 6:21:49 AM

>From: Gary Edstrom gedstrom@pacbell.net

>I've been going through trying to restore some of the more important
>pictures. I have had pretty good success on some of them. The Fremont
>Street picture was taken on Kodachrome & processed by Kodak. The colors
>have not faded at all.

My grandfather used to travel and take lotsa pics as well. I have a few of his
old slides with varying degrees of deterioration.
Like your dad's Vegas pic, I have one of my parents taken in 1959 that looks
like it was taken last week.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 5:52:53 PM

Howdy all!

I am new to the group as I just bought a newer digital camera (Kodak
DX4530). I had an earlier model, the Sony
Mavica FD-73, great for online auction photos, but that's it...lol

I took my first night time snapshot of our downtown skyline and wanted to
share it with everyone to get opinions on how
well the photo came out, etc. There are some other shots on the page too, so
feel free to check them out.

http://69.173.211.166:2468/photo/index.html

Don R.
Cleveland, Ohio

WX8SKY - Ham Radio Operator

"Gary Edstrom" <gedstrom@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Here are a couple of night time pictures of Las Vegas. The first of
> Fremont Street was taken in 1952 by my father. The second was taken by
> myself from atop the Stratosphere Tower about 2 years ago.
> http://gbe.dynip.com/Las_Vegas
>
> --
> Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net>
> Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway
> You may be a redneck if you think the French Riviera is a
> foreign car.
> The above tagline is number 526 in a series of 547. Collect them all!
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 7:47:10 PM

Archived from annika1980@aol.com (Annika1980) on 07 Dec 2004 03:21:49 GMT:

>>From: Gary Edstrom gedstrom@pacbell.net
>
>>I've been going through trying to restore some of the more important
>>pictures. I have had pretty good success on some of them. The Fremont
>>Street picture was taken on Kodachrome & processed by Kodak. The colors
>>have not faded at all.
>
>My grandfather used to travel and take lotsa pics as well. I have a few of his
>old slides with varying degrees of deterioration.
>Like your dad's Vegas pic, I have one of my parents taken in 1959 that looks
>like it was taken last week.

Say hello to Groundhog Day.
December 8, 2004 12:42:03 AM

It would be much better if you posted a smaller file size. You must have
posted the full-resolution version. Took forever to download, even at 750
kpbs cable-modem speed.

"DDR >NOFRIGGINSPAM" <kc8<bqr@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Howdy all!
>
> I am new to the group as I just bought a newer digital camera (Kodak
> DX4530). I had an earlier model, the Sony
> Mavica FD-73, great for online auction photos, but that's it...lol
>
> I took my first night time snapshot of our downtown skyline and wanted to
> share it with everyone to get opinions on how
> well the photo came out, etc. There are some other shots on the page too,
> so feel free to check them out.
>
> http://69.173.211.166:2468/photo/index.html
>

> Don R.
> Cleveland, Ohio
>
> WX8SKY - Ham Radio Operator
>

> "Gary Edstrom" <gedstrom@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> Here are a couple of night time pictures of Las Vegas. The first of
>> Fremont Street was taken in 1952 by my father. The second was taken by
>> myself from atop the Stratosphere Tower about 2 years ago.
>> http://gbe.dynip.com/Las_Vegas
>>
>> --
>> Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net>
>> Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway
>> You may be a redneck if you think the French Riviera is a
>> foreign car.
>> The above tagline is number 526 in a series of 547. Collect them all!

Anonymous
December 8, 2004 12:42:04 AM

That was one of the reasons I didn't post the pictures here, but my
apologies to those on slower systems.

Don R.

"Dave" <david_j_churchill@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> It would be much better if you posted a smaller file size. You must have
> posted the full-resolution version. Took forever to download, even at 750
> kpbs cable-modem speed.
>
> "DDR >NOFRIGGINSPAM" <kc8<bqr@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> Howdy all!
>>
>> I am new to the group as I just bought a newer digital camera (Kodak
>> DX4530). I had an earlier model, the Sony
>> Mavica FD-73, great for online auction photos, but that's it...lol
>>
>> I took my first night time snapshot of our downtown skyline and wanted to
>> share it with everyone to get opinions on how
>> well the photo came out, etc. There are some other shots on the page too,
>> so feel free to check them out.
>>
>> http://69.173.211.166:2468/photo/index.html
>>

>> Don R.
>> Cleveland, Ohio
>>
>> WX8SKY - Ham Radio Operator
>>

>> "Gary Edstrom" <gedstrom@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>>> Here are a couple of night time pictures of Las Vegas. The first of
>>> Fremont Street was taken in 1952 by my father. The second was taken by
>>> myself from atop the Stratosphere Tower about 2 years ago.
>>> http://gbe.dynip.com/Las_Vegas
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net>
>>> Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway
>>> You may be a redneck if you think the French Riviera is a
>>> foreign car.
>>> The above tagline is number 526 in a series of 547. Collect them all!

Anonymous
December 8, 2004 1:29:42 PM

> That was one of the reasons I didn't post the pictures here, but my
> apologies to those on slower systems.
>
> Don R.

Another reason not to post here: this is not a binary group

David
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 8:04:47 PM

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> That was one of the reasons I didn't post the pictures here, but my
>> apologies to those on slower systems.
>>
>> Don R.
>
> Another reason not to post here: this is not a binary group
>
> David

duly noted...lol

Don
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 12:02:33 AM

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 20:07:11 GMT, "F. D. Lewis" <lewisfd@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Gary Edstrom" <gedstrom@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> . . .
>> I may be getting up there within the next month or so. I haven't been
>> to Fremont Street in years. Is the Golden Nugget still there? I would
>> like to try to take a picture framed as close as possible to the 1952
>> picture.
>
>yup, it is there. the facade has changed. the cowboy is still down the
>street. one thing is vastly different though - there is a screen roof over
>the street on which they do laser shows.

Laser shows?
I thought they were LEDs?

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 21:56:57 GMT, Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>Here are a couple of night time pictures of Las Vegas. The first of
>Fremont Street was taken in 1952 by my father. The second was taken by
>myself from atop the Stratosphere Tower about 2 years ago.
>http://gbe.dynip.com/Las_Vegas

I have posted 10 additional night time pictures of Las Vegas on the
above page. You will now find 6 pictures on each of 2 thumbnail pages.

Gary

--
Gary Edstrom <gedstrom@pacbell.net>
Visit my Midway Island home page at http://gbe.dynip.com/Midway
You may be a redneck if you can tell your age by the number of
rings in the bathtub.
The above tagline is number 507 in a series of 547. Collect them all!
!