Sign in with
Your question

Case Ok or Return?

Last response: in Systems
April 12, 2010 3:30:13 PM

Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this. A few weeks ago, I asked help from the community on parts and I've recently bought all but a few of them...

Kind of anxious, I opened the case and took off the side panels just to view what would lay foundation to my first build. I noticed something that contradicted pics I've been seeing on the Antec 300 Illusion and wanted to make sure my case is "ok" or if I should contact newegg to have it returned.

Sorry for the small images (took them with my phone). Basically, I never noticed a large gaping rectangle hole (in the spot where I often see the mobo go) in the cases on the internet... ehm, should I be returning this or is this a purposeful design?

Sorry for the newbie question, but that is what I am. Thanks ahead of time!

More about : case return

April 12, 2010 3:31:18 PM

Also, if it would help to have more pics for whatever reason, let me know. I can snap and upload as needed.
m
l
Related resources
April 12, 2010 4:21:18 PM

Well that's disheartening. It costs almost half as much as the product just to ship it back and get it replaced. Well, thanks for informing me.
m
l
April 12, 2010 4:24:49 PM

discuss this with antec if its a defective product on their side they should pay shipping
m
l
April 12, 2010 6:08:16 PM

yes that is fine my case has it, but not quite as big, althrough on mine the edges have rounded off
m
l
April 12, 2010 6:11:40 PM

Amg said:
yes that is fine my case has it, but not quite as big, althrough on mine the edges have rounded off

*Blink* So... it's not a defect? Hmm. I suppose I'll just continue to contact Antec customer support. Can any one else weigh in with their opinion... will this interfere with my placement of a motherboard or cause any other sort of damage in the future?
m
l
April 12, 2010 6:15:48 PM

I don't know if it's a defect. It looks like it would make it easier to install an aftermarket cooler, so it might be an improvement. I certainly don't think it would cause a problem as long as you don't run any cables beneath the baord through the hole.

I would still talk with Antec and see if it's a new design simply because it doesn't match vendor pictures.
m
l
April 12, 2010 6:33:47 PM

MadAdmiral said:
I would still talk with Antec and see if it's a new design simply because it doesn't match vendor pictures.

Thanks Admiral. I think this is the most reasonable course for now. Hopefully Customer Support is helpful in whatever direction I have to go.
m
l
April 12, 2010 6:37:12 PM

regardless of whether it's intentional or not, if it's going to cost half the price of the case to RMA it, then i'd just make it work. i think MadAdmiral is probably right, the hole is actually an improvement.

worst case scenario is that after you close up the case you cannot see it, it doesn't affect performance, but you know you it's there. keep your money!
m
l
April 12, 2010 6:42:54 PM

whatelsematters said:
regardless of whether it's intentional or not, if it's going to cost half the price of the case to RMA it, then i'd just make it work. i think MadAdmiral is probably right, the hole is actually an improvement.

worst case scenario is that after you close up the case you cannot see it, it doesn't affect performance, but you know you it's there. keep your money!

If that really is the worst case scenario, just an aesthetic (which isn't even visible) - I'd be fine. If I want my PC to be pretty, I'd put sparkly stickers on it or something. In my mind, I didn't know if the worst case scenario was that it'd cause a tear in the fabric of space-time or produce a mini-Hadron collider black hole in my den... or do damage to the components inside somehow.

Thanks for the more supportive, it won't melt things - scenario. After I call Antec, I'll let you guys know what they tell me.
m
l
April 12, 2010 6:55:22 PM

Don't worry, it's not a bug, it's a feature.
m
l
April 12, 2010 7:02:57 PM

You just got a bonus. It is a designed feature that allows you to install a cpu cooler with a backplate without having to remove the motherboard first. It is obviously an incremental design update.
Be happy.
m
l
April 12, 2010 7:06:23 PM

*Does as commanded and is happy* Thanks Tom's Hardware Community! I shall continue my first build in glee, then!
m
l
!