Sign in with
Your question

My graphics card sucks?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 22, 2010 12:55:22 PM

Well i have a couple of questions in mind. I have GT 240 amp (512 mb GDDR5). I have memory clock of 4000mhz and core clock of 600 mhz. Will it basically run games on very high settings with phyx set to high as well but on pixels like 1200 x xxx? Another question i had was that 512 mb of vram will not be enough for gaming in future...so can i actually SLI my card with a cheaper one which also has 512 mb of vram??? or should it be a specific card?

Thx alot...

More about : graphics card sucks

a b U Graphics card
March 22, 2010 1:04:31 PM

Uhm, AFAIK the GT240 cannot be SLI'ed because nVidia didn't think customers might want to do that (wich at some extent, I kinda agree).

Now, that card will let you play games around 1280x1024 with good detail settings for a while, but not max'ed out + PhysX.

It's not a bad card at all for medium gameplay (high settings on shaders, some mid/low on textures and AA), but if you're looking for max'ed out eyecandy, then you need something a little more powerful, like a 5770 or a GTX260(216) or better.

Cheers!
m
l
March 22, 2010 1:11:24 PM

lol? ofc it can be SLIed....again i wasn't looking for some useless comments..Sry for being rude but i need something which is true....GT 240 can be SLIed and i'm 200% sure.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 22, 2010 1:19:36 PM

shad0wboss said:
lol? ofc it can be SLIed....again i wasn't looking for some useless comments..Sry for being rude but i need something which is true....GT 240 can be SLIed and i'm 200% sure.

No SLI support for Geforce GT 240
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16522/1/

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Quote:
The ASUS ENGT240 GDDR5 doesn't require any supplemental power; it gets everything it needs from the PCI-E slot, so there's no separate power connector. it's disappointing, though, that there's no SLI connector, NVIDIA having decreed that cards based on the GT240 GPU will not be SLI-capable. Since this feature is disabled by burning fusible links in the GPU core, there's no way for some maverick vendor to produce an SLI-capable version.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 22, 2010 1:22:03 PM

Uhm... OK, suit yourself 8)

Cheers!

EDIT: To the OP, that is :p 
m
l
March 22, 2010 1:42:24 PM

Play with the 240 now, and when u don't get enough frames in the future
buy a xfire/sli motherboard and buy a stronger graphics card and use the 240 u have now as a dedicated PhysX card

or better yet, do that now

Correct me if I provided any wrong information
Since I never used a dedicated PhysX card

Edited: And lol I never knew that 240 had no Sli port, why would Nvidia do such things to hurt their own product
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
March 22, 2010 1:55:11 PM

HKH said:
I never knew that 240 had no Sli port, why would Nvidia do such things to hurt their own product

Because SLi'ing the lower end cards is and was always a pointless exercise.
m
l
March 22, 2010 3:55:14 PM

Not when you don't have the money lol

I have a few extra bucks today I buy a crappy card, the next month I buy another one and xfire/sli them, don't see anything wrong with that

the question is why don't I just save up for 2 months and buy a better one
and personally I tend be unable to save up money
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
March 22, 2010 3:59:32 PM

shad0wboss said:
Well i have a couple of questions in mind. I have GT 240 amp (512 mb GDDR5). I have memory clock of 4000mhz and core clock of 600 mhz. Will it basically run games on very high settings with phyx set to high as well but on pixels like 1200 x xxx? Another question i had was that 512 mb of vram will not be enough for gaming in future...so can i actually SLI my card with a cheaper one which also has 512 mb of vram??? or should it be a specific card?

- As mentioned at 1280x1024 you might be ok depending on the game. You may have to settle on moderate or low settings on some of the newer titles
- 512MB is fine unless you are at a higher resolution, however, at a higher res your card will struggle very much

shad0wboss said:

No SLI support. I'm 1,000% sure

Mousemonkey said:
Because SLi'ing the lower end cards is and was always a pointless exercise.

But Nvidia told me the exercise would help give me more defined abs.

Here is a good article about the GT 240. The title of the article makes me giggle.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3709&p=1
m
l
!