HD 5870 crossfire

jhoniedanuco

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
guys i have 1 ati radeon HD5870 built in my comp. and it runs smoothly in high settings in ever game i play. i was thinking to crossfire with another HD 5870.

my question is that if two graphics card was crossfire it will add the capacity of the card like 1gb+1gb = 2gb??
or only it will add percent to boost the power of the card. and if that so how many percent most likely will be add to my card..

Nope, it won't the way you think. Each card will use it's own Frame Buffer depending on the needs of each chip. In other words, you will see both cards as being capable of using 1GB each, but not 2GB each since they can't share memory from the other one. Now, you will need to adress 2GB of VRAM on your system, so under that light you will need a 64bit OS if you have 2GB+ of RAM.

Cheers!

SLI/CF doesn't double the memory:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245454-33-crossfire-faqs
"Do SLI or CrossFire double the memory ?
This is one the questions that many people make mistake understanding it .
The answer is NO , SLI or CrossFire doesnt double the memory , You have a 512MB card , adding another card wont make your memory 1GB, it still will be 512MB,so both cards will use 512MB of RAMs but the memory won't double.
Another example :
A game needs 512MB card to run at maximum settings , and you have a 256MB card , and you think if you add another 256MB card , your memory will be 512MB and thats not true.

You may see this mistake in many sites. "

jhoniedanuco

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
with xfire/sli adding only extra fps what can you suggest adding same card for crossfire/sli or sell that card and upgrade for the new one like 5970???

Starges

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Was about to ask the same thing. Why the CF/SLi if all you get is a few extra fps??

I don't think then i would spend anothe $170 for a second 5770 if all i get is a few extra fps

:pfff:

I think you can do tri XFire with a 5970 and a 5870, actually, but you'll need a *really* big PSU for that :p

Anyway, the 5970 is 2x underclocked 5870's on the same PCB (board) under dedicated XFire.

Cheers!