Will I need a larger power supply?

lalocal305

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I am currently using a 500-550w (I can't remember :X) power supply and I'm wondering if I will need to upgrade in order to run an extra video card that I just picked up.

My current set-up:
EVGA X58 SLI-LE
Intel i7 930
Radeon 5770 1024MB
2TB HDD
60GB SSD
A couple of fans.

My question is: will my current power supply be able to handle x2 Radeon 5770's? I'm clueless when it comes to power supplies and I appreciate any help the community has to offer.

450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

Depending on what modle and who manufactured youe PSU we can not tell if it will handle it. A quality 550 watt unit would most likely be plenty.

You will have to open up your case and give us the manufacture of the PSU and the model number, without this info there is no way to tell if it will be suffice.

matt314

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Hey lalocal,

As the others mentioned, we will need the manufacturer of the PSU as it has a significant impact on its capabilities. To determine the power consumption of that configuration, take a look at this calculator. Remember that the number you get is a minimum and assumes a quality PSU! If you need to purchase a new one, I recommend going with Corsair or Antec (my personal preference is Corsair). For the wattage you'll need, they can be purchased for around 70-80$ - though this may vary depending where you live.

-Matt