Sign in with
Your question

Need help finishing a ~1200$ gaming build

Last response: in Systems
April 12, 2010 6:23:28 PM

Hello.
As thread name implies I need a bit of help finishing this build. I've already found a few components that I found fitting for the price range (list at bottom), but I'm a first time builder so any advice on how to improve those are more than welcome :)  .

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Hopefully this week. All depends on how quickly I finish the build.
BUDGET RANGE: Around 1100-1200 $.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Mostly gaming, surfing, a bit of movie editing.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, operating system.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Will be using ebuyer.com to showcase the components I've already picked. The purchase will happen on a danish site (much alike newegg.com and ebuyer.com) called edbpriser.dk. However, again I'm open to recommendations.
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Denmark.

PARTS PREFERENCES: I don't really know much about the different kind of brands, their quality and so forth, so no preferences here - just want quality and something that fits together ;)  . With the graphic card I'd prefer to go with an ATI since it seems to give more bangs for the buck.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe, I'm not really too sure of the benefits, plus I have no clue on how to do it. SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Would prefer not to.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I have a 22 " monitor that supports 1920x1080.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Would basically just like a nice, fast gaming PC, that will last in the years to come.

-

Here's a list of the components I've already picked:

GPU:
Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz Socket LGA1156 8MB

RAM:
Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333 MHz PC3-10600 CL9 .
The link is for a 1600 Mhz PC3-12800, though, as I couldn't find the other. I can't exactly remember why I picked a 1333 MHz over a 1600 MHz; but I think it had something to do with compatibility or pricing. If you think 1600 MHz is better, please say.

PSU:
Corsair 650w TX Series PSU
I heard this was a quality brand, and it's quite cheap as well - It should hopefully be able to power whatever graphic card you might recommend me to get.

Case:
Cooler Master CM 690
The link shows the Dominator edition - I'm not too sure that's the exact same as the one I've found on the danish site, but it has same dimensions and supports the same stuff. Link to the danish site here.

Graphic Card:
I'm basically looking at the Sapphire TOXIC Radeon HD 5850 one, but in general I really have no idea which 'version' is better. 5850 looked like a decent choice, but you might know otherwise :) .

I've also heard that nVidia graphic cards and Intel Microsoft components (GPU, Mobo) fits together that much better, that it would be actually be a better choice to go with nVidia even if ATI's graphic cards appears to be better all around nowadays? Or do ATI cards work together just as well? Does it matter at all?

-

So, yeah. I basically need a bit of help picking the motherboard, the harddrive and possibly the graphic card as well.

The already mentioned components prices when added up gives exactly 1000 $ - so that leaves around 200 $ for the last pieces. If that's not enough I'm willing to pay a little bit extra, but would like to keep it inside 1200 $.

Thanks in advance,

"Hi Res" Hewett
April 12, 2010 6:30:17 PM

Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E or Asus P7P55D-E LX
HDD: Seagate 7200.12 500 GB or 1 TB or Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB or 1 TB
GPU: HD 5870. Don't pay more for the toxic version of the 5850. Instead, pay for a better card. All you're getting is a slightly overclocked card, which you can do yourself easily.

There is no compatibility issues between ATI and Intel. ATI's cards are better right now.
April 12, 2010 7:14:06 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!
The motherboards looks great and so does the hdds.

The Radeon HD 5870 is a bit out of my price range though. In total, with the sapphire 5850 it's around 1228 $. Getting the 5870 will put another 140 $ into that which is a bit too much, unless you feel that it's worth it?
How about going for just a 'plain' version of the 5850? Link.
It's cheaper and brings the total price down below 1200 $.

Does everything else seem fine, though? And does the case support the components I'm planning to buy?

Related resources
April 12, 2010 7:16:35 PM

No idea you get fleeced so much on the 5870. Over here it's only $30 above the Toxic 5850. I would get the regular version of the 5850.

Everything else is fine.
April 12, 2010 7:20:41 PM

I think I have it all then. Thanks a bunch!
April 12, 2010 7:46:31 PM

I think anandtech recently did a review on the Toxic 5850 which showed that the cooler on the Toxic 5850 is a good deal better than the stock cooling. It was cooler than the standard 5850 at stock clocks, and when overclocked to 5870 speeds, it only rose to stock 5850 heat levels. Depending on the price difference, it might be worthwhile. Here in the US, it is probably not worth it.

Other than that, I completely agree with MadAdmiral.
April 13, 2010 4:26:30 AM

but the bad thing about the toxic version of the 5850 is that you have no voltage control so you are limited in your overclocking. I would say go for a normal hd5850. But if you are doing some video editing and your apps use cuda then you are lot more better off with a nvidia gpu. The gtx470 offer very good bang for buck and dont thrust too much review, retail card are alot more better( well 5-10% better than what review show). As for harddrive, it all depend how much capacity you need. for 500gb or 1tb Samsung spinpoint f3 500gb or 1tb are very good choice.

As for the motherboard, any mobo at around 150-200$ from know manufacturer ( Asus, gigabyte, msi, Evga) will serve you well. As other said, the best choice for you since you wont be breaking overclocking record is a nice mobo with alot of simple feature so go for the Asus p7p55d series.
April 24, 2010 7:47:36 AM

Thanks for the replies!
I'm almost ready to buy the components now - however, looking at the funds, I might have enough to purchase a 5870 graphic card instead as you suggested. Would the plain XFX version be the better choice here as well?
!