Not really sure whats going on, for some odd reason every now n then when I power up my PC the GPU fan won't spin up (no video) and my CPU fan idles at 300RPM. The only way to fix the problem is by holding down the power button, remove/re-insert the mobo battery and re-set all my values in the Bios. I already have purchased a new mobo battery and checked every single cable. Took the PC apart on the weekend, cleaned out the case, put everything back together and still the issue persists. Anyone have a clue as to what is going on?

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Thats a bit of a strange one. You have to reset your CMOS to just get it running again? Sounds not so much like your GPU as maybe more of a CMOS/BIOS problem. Might be worth trying a BIOS flash and maybe manually resetting all your BIOS settings to what you want and saving them to a brand new profile just to make sure theres not a glitch in there thats causing it to try and boot in some strange way.
If that doesn't work, come back for more ideas.

This is just something that started about 2 weeks ago. I have always used the same settings. GPU is overclocked about 10%, but even at stock clocks I get the same issue.

Somedays it works fine and somedays it just wont work as its supposed to. I doubt its the Bios becuase I have been using the same Bios for quite some time and it was working fine.

What I don't understand is why would the GPU come back to life when I remove/re-insert the mobo battery?

I guess I will try a Bios flash and see what happens ;)

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
You can use the bios for quite a while, and then randomly have something corrupt it. its the first thing I would check- a simple re-flash of the latest BIOS can't hurt anyway.

Removing and reinserting the mobo battery having an effect is just one more reason why I would think maybe you are having trouble with your BIOS or CMOS. doesn't seem to me to be a GPU problem- more likely GPU doesn't power up because your BIOS/MOBO, or whatever doesn't TELL it to power up properly.