Overheating?

angry12345

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Ok..

So past couple of days my computer started locking up.. again. last time it was due to a fan not working properly and overheating. This time all fans are working.. but not sure if it is overheat or what..

CoreTemp64 has all my cores under 45 degrees with under heavy load 47 degrees one core might get it

When i run speedfan i get a few more sensor readings..

everything under 45 with the exception of

gpus - 2 nvidia 9800 gtx+ cards that are running at about 62 degrees celsius under moderate load

and something called "LM75 Chip" nForce2 SMBus which is also at about 62 degrees. is that the chipset? i have a 780i nvidia chipset on an asus p5n-t deluxe board.

Those temps sound like they are high? could be causing screen freeze? (looks like a screenshot when it freezes)

i have 5 case fans, a small asus fan and a large v1 thermaltake fan with heatsinks inside that are all cooling

"LM75 Chip" is an error with SpeedFan ; ignore it. Also, I would suggest that you uninstall ANY BIOS invasive Apps including SpeedFan and set the BIOS to control your CPU fan speed. Run the fans directly off the PSU or purchase a Dedicated Fan Controller.

Open the case and re-run the temps; you need to have good circulation and some negative pressure in the case. If the temp difference is >5C with the side panel open then you do NOT have good airflow.

case_airflow.jpg

angry12345

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
NZXT 800 WATT POWER SUPPLY SLI

i did just a few minutes ago remove a network card from my computer. i do not use it anymore cause im wireless. figured it might be eating some juice, plus being situated between the two vid cards maybe its harming airflow or causing heat

also checked cpuid to see what temps it was getting.. basically the same.

one vid card showing 61 degrees and other 57..

after removing case temps and letting run 5 min

one vid card 60 and the other 55

What about the CPU temp? Keep in mind both the GPU and NB temps are higher than most people expect them to be, and a stressed GPU can easily run 70~90C. Typical Core 2 Duo under load are ~50C.

Since I don't know what CPU you're running, or what if any OC CPU or GPU -- all these 'numbers' are generalized.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
How hot are you getting under load? If you aren't running hwmonitor, install it and let it collect data while you stress the system.

Your current temps, while not great, shouldn't cause a crash. Also, you should note jaquith's excellent picture and try to emulate as much as possible with your configuration. Good airflow will do wonders for a system.

Last, are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory) beyond stock speeds? If so, I suggest you revert to stock or lower your settings until you stablize the system.

angry12345

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010

That is a good pic from Jaq. My system looks EXACTLY like that with the exception that it has a side chassis fan too, and a massive CPU fan with a ton of built in heatsinks (like a peacock). It is not overclocked at all.

At work, didnt have time to put a Prime test on it, but I did try and emulate the situations before that happened. I ran the same programs that I run when it has happened in past. Most intense would just be a mmorpg so it is working the graphics, but its not Crysis level or anything.

When I ran it, the temps on all the cores and CPU were all under 43 degrees, and while doing nothing they all registered around 35 degrees or lower with the exception of the gpus which were at a nothing temp of 45ish and when playing games at 62 degrees

not at home so cant run CPU-Z so might not have all the info Jaq requested but

its a 2.8 ghz core 2 quad with 2 evga nvidia 9800 gtx+ vid cards and a nvidia 780sli chipset and 4 1k sticks of kingston memory.

NONE is OC.

Snet

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
I have an Asus motherboard ? No fire extinguisher needed, why ? its intel chipset. with decent thermal compound. I would recommend replacing thermal paste every 3 months if you use the PC regulalrly .

You have an asus board? You have not experienced high speed reliable computing.

TRENDING THREADS