Planned build, Need some help with it.

KwameShallah

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Here's a build i have planned for a mid range gaming pc. I'm just talking about the components of the actual computer. I have all accessories like screen and ops and mouse etc.

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 955

GPU Radeon HD 5770 1gb

Mother Board Gigabyte 770 AM3

Ram. I would like 4GB DDR3 but really have no idea about the differences between types.

PSU Powercool 450 - I assume this enough?

Hard Drive Maxtor 250GB - I don't really need much storage space so went for a cheap one.

Case. I originally went for the cheapest but from reading forums it seems it is more important than i had anticipated. Is it recommend to get a good case? How much am i looking to spend?

So far this all comes to around £500 (excluding case cost and estimating RAM at £100). I'd be willing to spend a bit more if people seriously recommend it. Any help would be great. Thanks

That PSU is a POS. DO NOT BUY IT. Grab a 550W from the following brands: Antec, Corsair, SeaSonic or Silverstone.

CPU: If you need to save some money, you can drop down to the X3 425 and see no performance difference.

Mobo: I highly recommend getting the GA-770TA-UD3. It's a more future proof version with USB 3/SATA III support.

RAM: Get whatever set of 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 sticks are cheapest.

HDD: Not a good choice. Pick up either the Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB or Seagate 7200.12 500 GB. You shouldn't pay much more for them, and they'll be a lot faster. Not to mention a lot better quality.

Case: Good cases in your price range would be the Antec 200, Antec 300, Antec 300 Illusion, Coolermaster Elite, Coolermaster Centurion 5 and Coolermaster 690.

KwameShallah

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010

Thanks for your recommendations. Could you explain what was wrong with my choice of PSU. Is it unreliable or prone to over heating, i dont really understand what the problem is. Similarly should i be going for the cases you suggested becasue they offer better cooling than cheaper models which will be necessary with the components i have opted for?

It's not a quality unit. That means it'll be prone to failure sooner than a quality. Also, it's more likely to take other parts with it when it goes. It also is likely to be less efficient, thus produces more heat. Not only that, but it won't produce the power required as reliably.

The ones I suggested produce less heat, are more reliable and will last longer. It's just never a good idea to build around a lower quality unit.

janxta

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
+1 MadAdmiral Try to find any information and a review on the Powercool This is a challenge To You! I did some searching and found nothing.... I use and highly recommend Corsair power supplies. I've used the 400 watt and all the way up to and including the 1000 watt Corsair psu's. Don't get a poor performing psu, it just may take other components with it when it fails. If you want to consider other brands, go to johnnyguru.com and check his reviews. Invest wisely and have fun with your build.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Power supplies are the most important piece of hardware in your Rig. Choose wisely, otherwise you have the possibility of frying anything and everything inside your case.

Good quality brand power supplies:

Corsair
OCZ
Seasonic
Antec (Earthwatt series)

things to look for in a power supply:

high amperage value on a single 12v rail
at least 80+ certified

Ps. How does one get the badges to show up in the name in the forums?

I don't particularly think OCZ is that quality for PSUs, especially in the lower wattage range. I typically stay away from them if the budget isn't extremely tight. I would say the exception is their Z-Series line, but those are often too expensive in the smaller sizes.

Also, the only Antec line I avoid is the Basiq series. Their TruePower is also high quality.

@jonpaul: Badges show up when you're in the section where you've earned them. You get badges by having a certain number of best answers. To see the breakdown, look in your profile under "Status and Badges".