The better heatsink...

Copper is "better", but far too heavy for a full heatsink. Imagine the NH-D14 in all copper.

To be honest, similarly sized aluminum fin copper base/pipes heat sinks worked as well as the CNPS 9500 cooler(an all copper unit).

I think it is something to the effect that aluminum releases heat fast and copper absorbs it faster. The combination(copper to take the heat from the cpu and the aluminum fins to transfer it to the air) works VERY well.

The heatsink has lots of room, you just may need to push the fan up a bit.

The Gskill website says they are both 40mm tall.

Here is what to expect
nhd14memclear.jpg

The 212 sits much lower then the NH D14

steven37

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2012
ok one last question:) how much of a improvement should i see? with my noisy stock cooler my temps are jumping from 25c to about 32c and when im gaming it goes to about right under 50c but never reaches 50...(cpu is not OC)

steven37

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2012
yeah anything under 50c is great its just im tired of listening to the noisy little stock cooler, the big fans that came with my computer case are 3x's as big and i can barely here them.. my cpu is the amd 8150 im sure there's plenty of room in my Big case:)

phx08

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Copper by far is better at conducting heat and better at dissipating through convection. Why? It doesn’t matter what the material is made of, what matter is the temperature difference between ambient and delta. The bigger the difference the faster the heat transfer, ergo copper (since its better at conducting heat) will be better at dissipating it since its able to get itself “hotter”.

I hope that made sense…
Source: Smith, Johnathon, 2005
As a kind of counter situation which some may be trying to prod at though, the specific heat of copper is .0923 cal/gK and it has a density of 8.92g/mL. Aluminum has a specific heat of .215 cal/gK and a density of 2.702 g/mL (Chemfinder.com).
If you take those and figure out the heat capacity per volume, then you get 0.82 cal/mL*K copper and 0.58 cal/mL*K for aluminum. It seems like some unnamed computer sites may think that their equivalent copper heat sink takes longer to cool down than the aluminum one because per volume, the copper will store more thermal energy per temperature. That is very true, but it does not deal with how well the metals conduct heat or anything else that is often implied.