Problem with 5770 CF and my LCD

skateboarding118

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I have a 1920x1080 23 inch Samsung LCD @ 60hz(SyncMaster P2350G). I use 2x 5770s in CF, intel 750 i5, and 4gb of ram with 1000 watts of power. I also use windows 7 64 bit ultimate. My problem is that in games (for example Bad Company 2 or MW 2), whenever the framerate dips below 60 it starts to feel like it's playing below 30. As you might imagine, this is quite an inconvenience since my build will not be running at 60 constant frames for most games coming out with max settings. Thus, it will lead me to lowering down the settings significantly to get it at 60 fps (even at 55 fps it feels like playing with 25).

I think that this is an issue with the LCD because I have tried disabling CF, but I still get this issue. I have also removed a card and tested it, and same results. I also do understand that vsync reduces your frames by about half, but if I disable vsync then the image tears like mad and stutters so that it feels worse than playing with vsync. I have tried using D3D overrider to enable triple buffering with one card, but it made no difference.

I have tried just about everything I could find on the internet for the past two months I've had this computer, and I feel like I have tried just about everything.

Thank you for your time.

skateboarding118

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I forgot to add, my samsung LCD has both a DVI and a VGA adapter. On the manual, it says that if my LCD came with both then I need to connect both to my computer. However, my computer has only DVI adapters and no VGA adapters, so I'am planning on getting a VGA to DVI adapter this weekend. I would also like to add that I have connected my computer to my 40 inch 1080p sony bravia, and it still has the same symptoms as the samsung.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
First off, if you have it on both your 23" display AND your HDTV, its NOT your LCD, so don't worry about that. You definitely do NOT need to connect BOTH DVI and VGA- will do nothing for you to connect both.
One thing to remember about Vsync- it will lock you at 60FPS when the GPU can handle it, but if your GPU drops below 60, it won't drop to 55, it will drop straight to 30fps. If your card has trouble at 30, it will drop straight to 15.
Have you tried both cards separately? I know you tried Xfire, and then one card by itself- have you tried the other card by itself? Could be you have a problem with that particular card.
Also- have you overclocked your cards at all? Could be you don't have a perfectly stable OC and are having problems because of that.
What 5770's do you have- are they identical?
What version of the Catalyst control center and drivers are you using currently? Have you tried a different version?

skateboarding118

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Thank you for the fast reply.

My cards are

1) Gigabyte HD 5770

2) MSI R5770

In terms of specs (according to gpu z) they are identical.

They have been overclocked, however the symptoms showed when they were at stock as well.

I don't particularly remember if I tried the Gigabyte card as single, so I will try that as soon as I finish this post.

I have tried the latest 9.0 driver, 10.1,10.2, and currently I'm using the 10.3 preview. The 10.3 seems to be showing the best frames.

skateboarding118

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I tried all the possible combinations for the cards, changed pci slots for both and changed the pci cables for both, but they all still have the problem >.<

skateboarding118

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

Yes, I only see it in games. I'am currently using an "ASUS P7P55D PRO" motherboard.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Did you uninstall and reinstall the drivers or did you just install the newer versions over the top of the old ones? If you installed over the top, it is probably worth uninstalling all the drivers, rebooting into safe mode and running driversweeper, then rebooting and reinstalling the latest drivers. Hopefully that makes a difference as you're quickly running me out of ideas lol. Hey- do you have a different GPU you can try? if you have a totally different card you can throw in, just to try it, you can then possibly rule out the motherboard or anything related there.

skateboarding118

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Before I was uninstalling my drivers but not deleting my old ones, so I did what you told me through drivesweeper and safe mode. It did make a bit of a difference, however it still isn't fully fixed and does not play at the framerate it shows. Unfortunately I don't have another GPU available, so it currently is not an option.

I saw on some other forum earlier with this guy that had basically the EXACT same problem lol, and his build is almost identical to mine (with the exception of manufacturers and PSU wattage). Apparently he used the 10.1 drivers, I've installed it before but without going through safe mode/deleting ALL other drivers. I need to go to sleep now but I will see to it tomorrow.

And thanks for the help you've offered flyin, really appreciate it.

And I'll update this post sometime tomorrow...

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Do you have a friend who has a different GPU you might be able to borrow? The reason I ask is that I'm wondering if maybe you are having an actual Motherboard problem as the likelihood of having 2 bad Radeon 5770s from 2 different companies that have the SAME problem, is EXTREMELY unlikely. If you could get a different card and try it, you could really prove there is nothing wrong with your cards. Or- do you have a different computer you could drop your cards into one at a time, and try them that way? If you can eliminate the GPU's completely from being your problem, you are a good step closer to getting things figured out.
Also- Another possible thing to try is to reformat/reinstall windows. I know thats a time consuming and irritating thing to do, but it can be worth it.

Ok, so where we so here is where we stand:
1. Eliminated the display as the issue- same problem shows on HDTV
2. We've Almost eliminated the GPU's- both giving the same problem individually points to something else.
3. We've mostly eliminated the drivers as you've tried many different versions, and even done the uninstall with Driversweeper before a reinstall.
4. your PSU should be way plenty of power.
Basically this leaves us with the following options:
1. Windows install/driver issues- requires a reformat/reinstall of windows to fix/verify.
2. Memory issue- requires running a memtest, possibly try running the computer and games with only one stick installed, and then try the other stick on its own.
3. A Mobo or CPU problem. If none of the above solve your issue, then this is sorta your last option. a problem here requires replacement of either one or the other or both of these parts. The reason this could be is that your problem could actually be the PCI-e lanes themselves, and the lanes are on the CPU die itself.

skateboarding118

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

I have already reinstalled windows a few weeks ago to switch from 32 bit to 64, and it was showing this problem in the 32 bit as well.

I will also test the ram as well.

I'm also starting to think that it is a mobo problem as well, since I have tried all 3 of the lane slots and it's extremely unlikely that the both gpu's are at fault since they both show the exact same symptoms (and different companies).

I really would like to get a hold of another GPU, but I'm the only person I know who has a rig with a GPU. All my friends game on consoles, so they have built in graphics -_-.