How to speed up PATA hard drive windows 7

ljtilmon

Distinguished
May 18, 2012
Is there a way to speed up a 500GB PATA hard drive? I ran the Reimage program and it told me that my hard drive was running 27 rpm (much lower than the 40-60 rmp of newer drives today). Is there a way to speed up my drives until I am able to upgrade my computer?

It can't be running at 27RPM, no hard drive spins that slow. The slowest speeds are in the thousands of RPM. It's probably either a 5400RPM drive, or a four thousand something RPM drive, or maybe an even slower one, but it's much higher than 27RPM.

There isn't much that you can do to speed it up significantly. You can avoid filling it up too much, keep it de-fragmented, don't have excessively large page files and if possible, disable the page file (only if you have enough RAM, I'd suggest 8GB before doing this), make sure that it has it's I/O caching enabled, and not much else. You can't change the RPM of a hard drive (at least, I've never heard of it being possible at all), so there's not much that can be done to make older drives able to compare to newer drives.