Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

black border using epson 2200

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 2:30:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

For the very first print I made with my new Epson 2200 I went looking around
at all the options and found one that would print a black border on my
image. I like the look of it. The border will be covered when matted but it
makes the image look better before that happens. Since then I have not found
that option again. Anyone know where it was?

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter
(visit my photo gallery at http://palmiter.dotphoto.com)
freebridge design group
www.route611.com & Route 611 Magazine
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 2:30:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Black border costs ink, and ink costs money; do without it!
(just kidding)
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 2:30:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 23:30:42 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Gene Palmiter"
<palmiter_gene@verizon.net> wrote:

>For the very first print I made with my new Epson 2200 I went looking around
>at all the options and found one that would print a black border on my
>image. I like the look of it. The border will be covered when matted but it
>makes the image look better before that happens. Since then I have not found
>that option again. Anyone know where it was?

Printing Preferences => Page Layout => Check Multi-Page => Check Print Page
Borders?

This is for the R800, fwiw.
________________________________________________________
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
http://EdwardGRuf.com
Related resources
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 2:30:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Gene Palmiter" <palmiter_gene@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:CSMsd.9304$ZK6.2630@trndny07...
> For the very first print I made with my new Epson 2200 I went looking
> around
> at all the options and found one that would print a black border on my
> image. I like the look of it. The border will be covered when matted but
> it
> makes the image look better before that happens. Since then I have not
> found
> that option again. Anyone know where it was?
>
Why waste the ink if it's going to be covered anyhow?? Looks better eh?
It'll make your ink bill look a lot worse!
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 2:51:28 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

>From: "Gene Palmiter" palmiter_gene@verizon.net

>For the very first print I made with my new Epson 2200 I went looking around
>at all the options and found one that would print a black border on my
>image. I like the look of it. The border will be covered when matted but it
>makes the image look better before that happens. Since then I have not found
>that option again. Anyone know where it was?

Gene, one easy way to add a black border in Photoshop is to do Image > Canvas
Size, check the 'relative' box and type in the width of the border in width and
height boxes. Change 'canvas extension color' to black ...
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 8:14:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

It's an Epson 2200...so I must have been thinking quality rather than price
when I bought it. I would rather sell the prints without frames as the
frames increase the selling price more than any other factor...until I get
more famous....then that will be the major factor in pricing. So, I want the
prints looking as good as possible before framing. The ink is not really
that expensive. Since each of the 7 colors are in their own cartridge I only
have to replace the ones that are used. It has surprised me that the light
CM&K are being used faster than the regular CMYK. The light magenta is being
used fastest and it's lasted long enough to do highest quality printing of
12 x 16 photos for a full box (20 sheets) of Velvet art paper. I am printing
mostly portraits...and Caucasians are using much less ink then black
folks...as would be expected. So, until I get my next shipment of inks
(maybe tomorrow) I will be doing fewer prints of black folks.

Cost is not really a factor when printing for others...they pay for the ink,
paper, and time... I seldom print for myself except for portfolio...and I
don't frame those. The only framed prints I have of my own work are those
left over from gallery shows.

A former employer gave me some good advise many years ago. He said that if I
was working too hard I wasn't charging enough. With that in mind, last year
if someone wanted me to take a photo I would say "$10", this year I am more
likely to say "$50"! Attractive women are charged much less, of course!
Since I am shooting digital that is all profit...or, more accurately, to
defray the cost of equipment.

How do I decide on a price for prints? An old joke illustrates: An
optometrist was asked how he charges for glasses. He said he looks the
client in the eyes and says "$100" and if the client doesn't blink he says
"for the frames". Well, how much for the lenses? "$100" he says, and if the
client doesn't blink he says "each".

Given my growing local reputation and the quality of my work, and the very
high quality from this printer I will be asking $75 for an unframed print.
(I also get paid for photojournalist work, product shots, etc.) For people
who don't want to pay that much I have a website where they can order prints
for much less. No labor for me.

The prints from the Epson 2200 are for fine art prints...they take too long
to print for the run-of-the-mill print. They are large and will make a
statement in any home or office. $75 is not too much to ask. When I buy art
from other artists I typically pay about $300...though I seldom buy photos.
There are lots of painters here...few photographers.

"Bob the Printer" <bdolson@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:-bqdnTLpqJMRTi7cRVn-uQ@comcast.com...
>
> "Gene Palmiter" <palmiter_gene@verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:CSMsd.9304$ZK6.2630@trndny07...
> > For the very first print I made with my new Epson 2200 I went looking
> > around
> > at all the options and found one that would print a black border on my
> > image. I like the look of it. The border will be covered when matted but
> > it
> > makes the image look better before that happens. Since then I have not
> > found
> > that option again. Anyone know where it was?
> >
> Why waste the ink if it's going to be covered anyhow?? Looks better eh?
> It'll make your ink bill look a lot worse!
>
>
>
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 8:14:37 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Gene Palmiter" <palmiter_gene@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:0VRsd.9527$ZK6.1765@trndny07...
> It has surprised me that the light
> CM&K are being used faster than the regular CMYK. The light magenta is
being
> used fastest

I think that's fairly typical.
Light magenta always gets used fastest in my experience...followed by light
cyan.
!