Video card for 160 watt gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevindale68

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Hello,
I have a gateway 300x that is low profile and only has slots for pci and agp.
I recently was running a 3dforce 6200-256 for about a year and a half before the card stopped working. From looking around it states it needs 250 watt psu. How was it able to run on my 160w psu and is that the reason the life span was that short.

Also, are there any other cards that can be used with the 160 psu?

Solution
Best bet may be to replace it with another 6200 low-profile card, then. There are other low-profile AGP cards available, like the 4350 or 4550 from ATI. These should also work, as their peak power requirement is actually less than a 6200's. The trouble is finding them...

This chart I'm about to link can be confusing if you don't know your card generations, but I'm linking it anyway. It separates them based on brand and generation. Just find the 6200, which is around 20 up from the very bottom, then try to find other cards with about the same wattage ratings.

http://mark.zoomcities.com/images/gfx/GFXpowerchartbybrandgen.png

You'll see that the ATI cards I mentioned are in it's league, as are several others. However, due to their age...
Usually, a 160W power supply means onboard graphics only, or else you're rolling the dice.

I don't really think it's worth looking for a new card for that machine. If you're just using it for basic stuff like office work or the Internet, use the onboard graphics. If you're looking to do any gaming, forget it and get a new machine. If this is the same Gateway 300x I'm thinking of, it was made in like 2002 and has a single-core processor with 256MB of RAM. That's not enough to do much of anything these days.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Best bet may be to replace it with another 6200 low-profile card, then. There are other low-profile AGP cards available, like the 4350 or 4550 from ATI. These should also work, as their peak power requirement is actually less than a 6200's. The trouble is finding them...

This chart I'm about to link can be confusing if you don't know your card generations, but I'm linking it anyway. It separates them based on brand and generation. Just find the 6200, which is around 20 up from the very bottom, then try to find other cards with about the same wattage ratings.

http://mark.zoomcities.com/images/gfx/GFXpowerchartbybrandgen.png

You'll see that the ATI cards I mentioned are in it's league, as are several others. However, due to their age, many of these cards are no longer available. Here is a link to all the low-profile, AGP cards Newegg.com has to offer:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+1069609639&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=low-profile

You may find others available elsewhere.

Solution

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
And if a new build is not within his budget, builderbob?

He came here looking for a replacement video card, some of which are less than $50. Surely if his system is enough for him currently, spending less than $50 to get it working again is worth it. It'd cost more to take it to a shop and have a problem diagnosed...

He mentioned nothing of budget or potential system replacement, so I gave him what he asked for. And though it almost goes without saying, replacing that card is cheaper than replacing the entire system. We don't even know if a new system benefit him enough to justify the expense. That would depend on what he does with it. For some people, older computers are still quite adequate for their needs.

kevindale68

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
This computer was given to us a couple years ago in pretty much brand new condition from my wife's parents(They rarely ever used it) when my gateway died after 7 years of service. The 160 watt psu was standard on the 300x and after looking into replacing it the only other option is a 180w...Good news though after watching me try my best to deal with what we have, the wife has decided we need to just get a new one. Guess she felt sorry for me, lol.
Thanks again for the input, the good and the umm, sarcastic ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS