When do I try unlocking?

mgh

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2007
Just getting ready for a new build, details are in sig. Have not bought a cpu yet, but probably end up with an Athlon II X 3, seems to be a decent value / performance for my needs and price range.

My motherboard will allow me to try to unlock cores, but I don't know when I should do it. Do I try it on first boot, before I have installed OS?

Thanks for any help.

Solution
Do you plan to overclock? Typically I will install the hardware with stock settings then install the OS and appropriate drivers. ...then overclock / stress test (note your max temps when stress testing). ...then try unlocking. It can really be done in a multitude of ways.

NOTE: When unlocking your AMD processor you will not be able to read your core temps. Take your max temps while stress testing and add 4C to get a good idea where you are at with four cores enables (if you are able to unlock with no issues).

mgh

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2007

Well I guess sig is not displaying, so here are details of build.
MSI 870-G45 mobo
EVGA GT240 graphisc cards
GSKILL 2 X 2 1333 RAM
cpu ?

Do you plan to overclock? Typically I will install the hardware with stock settings then install the OS and appropriate drivers. ...then overclock / stress test (note your max temps when stress testing). ...then try unlocking. It can really be done in a multitude of ways.

NOTE: When unlocking your AMD processor you will not be able to read your core temps. Take your max temps while stress testing and add 4C to get a good idea where you are at with four cores enables (if you are able to unlock with no issues).

Solution

mgh

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2007
I have never tried OC'ing, but would like to try. I have a lot of reading to do first, as I do not know where to start first.

Thanks for the reply.