Is it bad to have wires touching the heatsink?

leonnee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Well who ever designed the board is a moron. the 24 pin connector is like in front of the board instead of being by the ram so i had to like wrap the wires around the heatsink to be able to reach it. Is that going to be a problem? The heatsink is a coolermaster hypern520. The wires are touching the bottom of the grill. Would the wire melt or something? If it is a problem what can I do? I see no other option. Only thing i see is if i somehow mount the power supply in the middle of the case.
thxs

zergesys

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
That is ... odd positioning. As in near the IO ports at the back of the case??

I don't think it will melt the wires, it shouldn't get THAT hot, especially if the 24p cables or sleeved, but I think it's worth looking at how you're routing the cable. If it has a fair length, trying running it below the heat-sink instead of squished against it. This isn't very good for airflow, though. You may have to try something more creative with cable management.

Melt no way - my only concerns are: cutting the wires over time, interfering with the fan's airflow {24-pin bundle} or actually hitting a fan blade.

Yep, the are some poorly designed MOBOs but worst there are MOBOs with great designs that fail.

PSU ideally I prefer it bottom mounted with a top left 8-pin and a right-side 24-pin.

leonnee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
yea where the the IO ports are, you should see where the 4 pin connector are lol. These guys are retared its right next to the IO ports that had to jam the wire under this metal thing. took me a hour just trying to mount the dam board to the case becasue of the 4 pin and 24 pin.
as for the 24 pin, its not blocking the air flow its under the grill.
Thanks for the advise