Sign in with
Your question

[HELP]Fresh installed XP Professional, Updates?

Last response: in Windows XP
December 26, 2012 5:32:20 PM

I had to re install xp on my friends old laptop because it began blue screening after i cleaned some viruses, One took out some drivers and I was unable to fix the issue.

Anyways I gave it back to him and he found that he had no Internet Explorer ( I thought it would be included in the installation ) anyways I'm trying to install IE 8 but I kept getting an error. I discovered that i needed what is called the Service Pack 3, but I get an error saying that it's not a valid Win32 application whenever I try to run it. I started learning computers in Vista and now 7 so XP is mostly unknown to me so please dont leave out any details. Any advice is much appreciated.
December 26, 2012 6:37:35 PM

I would say it sounds like something may have gone sideways already. A "virgin" XP install cannot be connected to the Internet for more than a few seconds before it will be compromised, so you need to plan ahead a little.

Start by downloading the standalone SP2: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id...
and then SP3: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id... installers. Burn them to a CD or DVD.

When you install XP again, this time make sure NOT to connect it to the Internet. Once the initial install is done, install SP2 from the DVD or whatever you stored that file on, then SP3. It would also be a good idea to have an AV program on that DVD, and maybe the drivers needed. After you get all of those things installed, you can connect to the Internet, where your first stop should be the Windows Update site to get several years worth of additional updates. Make sure every time you reboot to go back to the Windows Update site to see if there are more updates listed. When you finally get to zero, you're done.
m
l
December 26, 2012 7:58:05 PM

Quote:
A "virgin" XP install cannot be connected to the Internet for more than a few seconds before it will be compromised

What do you mean by compromised? I did finally find the IE on his computer, guess he didnt look hard enough, and i tried to connect it directly to my modem but it couldnt connect to any of the pages. Have I screwed something up and now have to completely reinstall it?
m
l
Related resources
December 26, 2012 8:20:48 PM

Quote:
What do you mean by compromised?

Without an active anti-virus scanner installed and running, an unprotected computer won't last more than a couple of minutes before being overrun with viruses and other malware. Never connect an unprotected machine directly to the net.
m
l
December 26, 2012 10:25:19 PM

Oh, ok. Well seeing as I couldnt even connect it to the internet I think I'll be fine.

I downloaded the SP3 with my computer and transferred it via thumb drive. I'll try what was suggested above with starting with SP2 and then what he linked for SP3.
m
l
December 26, 2012 11:42:52 PM

ok well I got both the service packs installed, but I have one more issue thats holding me up. I downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials and ported it over to that computer but it cant run updates. It was then I realized that I probably needed the LAN drivers. I'm having trouble though finding the right ones for the computer though. It's a Toshiba Satellite p105-s6114. If some one could be so kind as to link me the drivers I would need I would be ever so grateful.
m
l
!