Crossfire HD7870 x8 questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Nope.
If a freeway is 16 lanes wide, but you have to get 8 cars down it, do the cars go twice as fast?

The 16/8/4/1x refers to the number of physical "lanes" (wires from the slot to the CPU) the slot has. The Generation (2 and 3 are all you need to worry about) refer to how much bandwidth each lane has, with Gen3 being double Gen2.
Having more bandwidth wont result in an increase to performance, unless your upgrading from a situation where you were already limited.

Or if I take your question a different way, yes you will have a rough doubling (often its an ~80-90% increase, drivers and games aren't perfect) of performance since you are now running two GPU's.

trigg

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2012

So in other words i will get around double the performance?

Nope.
If a freeway is 16 lanes wide, but you have to get 8 cars down it, do the cars go twice as fast?

The 16/8/4/1x refers to the number of physical "lanes" (wires from the slot to the CPU) the slot has. The Generation (2 and 3 are all you need to worry about) refer to how much bandwidth each lane has, with Gen3 being double Gen2.
Having more bandwidth wont result in an increase to performance, unless your upgrading from a situation where you were already limited.

Or if I take your question a different way, yes you will have a rough doubling (often its an ~80-90% increase, drivers and games aren't perfect) of performance since you are now running two GPU's.

Solution

kennai

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
In reality, x4 gen 2.0 is usually good enough to run a card without getting a huge kick down in performance. At least for gaming. No idea about openCL oriented tasks and the like, which I assume, would suffer a lot more.

trigg

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2012

ok thanks for that info! and clearing up what the x8 or x16 means! And yes by performance i meant will i get a ~200% fps increase with CF on games that are compatible with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.