Replacing an ASUS IPI8L-L8 socket 775 M/B???

rogersfreud

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
Can anyone recommend a comparable MB for an ASUS IPI8L-L8 socket 775.
as my M/B fried yesterday and i have an ASUS IPI8L-L8 socket 775 M/B which i can not locate one online for me to purchase. which i read maybe b/c it is an OEM M/B.
therefore, can anyone recommend a substitute for that M/B.
your help with this would be AWESOME!!!!
as i am not savvy enough to figure it out.

thanks,
isaac

Solution
If you can order from newegg, they have the foxconn G41M-S for $51.99 plus $4.99 shipping. If you need only 2 ram slots, you can choose from a wide variety of g31 or g41 boards for about the same price. Foxconn is used alot by Dell. You'll need to reinstall windows and possibly get a new coa sticker; you can try calling microsoft and they might give you one. Your old installation only works with hp systems, but try booting up anyway before you do a fresh install. Before ordering, check your ram; this board has problems running 4 dual sided ram (chipsets on both sides of the stick). single sided is no problem.
If you can order from newegg, they have the foxconn G41M-S for $51.99 plus $4.99 shipping. If you need only 2 ram slots, you can choose from a wide variety of g31 or g41 boards for about the same price. Foxconn is used alot by Dell. You'll need to reinstall windows and possibly get a new coa sticker; you can try calling microsoft and they might give you one. Your old installation only works with hp systems, but try booting up anyway before you do a fresh install. Before ordering, check your ram; this board has problems running 4 dual sided ram (chipsets on both sides of the stick). single sided is no problem.

Solution

rogersfreud

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
WOW!!!

i have 6 GB PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM which i think is 3 ram chip-sets.
i do have a HP computer with a Intel 2.2 MHz dual core processor.
is that Foxconn M/B still comparable and compatible for my specs?

thanks a lot,
isaac

Of course, it will work fine; but with most new boards, windows will crash as it can't find the original motherboard drivers. Windows 7 should have no problems installing without the motherboard cd; if you're using windows xp, then you'll need the motherboard cd with it's device drivers.

rogersfreud

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010

thanks again for the feedback.

i have windows Vista home premium OS on my PC.
would i still need the motherboard CD?
also, when you make reference to the m/b CD are you referring to the Foxconn m/b CD?

sorry i am not savvy enough to keep up with the conversation without some clarity.

once again, thanks for the feedback!!!

isaac

Yes. You'll need the foxconn cd for windows xp; vista or 7 should find all the device drivers. But after you finish vista installation, check the device manager for devices that aren't installed. They will have a mark next to them. Then you may need the cd from foxconn.

rogersfreud

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
thanks, o1die.

is the Foxconn a good quality producer of M/B's or would you recommend another one instead. i would assume that it would be more expensive but that is ok.

thanks,,,,

isaac

Asus is the best for bios updates, but 775 is dead now; no more new cpus from Intel are coming. I have used the rma process from msi and biostar; both were faster than some other brands. All boards fail sometimes, especially when overclocking. EVGA offers lifetime warranty on some items if you register them online, but their selection is limited and I don't like using their website. Checkout some websites and see how easily you can use them, locating drivers, cpu suport, qvl (tested memory) listings, etc. I've also used msi's "live update" software for updating the bios and device drivers. It' works great. Just download the live update software and install on your board. Then while you're online, click on the search option and let it download and update all your board stuff at once.