Sign in with
Your question

Xfx 5750 problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
March 22, 2010 6:12:29 PM

Hello,
I recently bought the xfx ATI 5750 but I am having problems with it. I can switch on, only using the standard windows drivers, I have tried installing quite a few different drivers and am having 2 outcomes:
Either the computer will just go into safe mode and will not start up untill I uninstall the drivers and run on the standard windows drivers again.
Or the computer will start again using the new drivers, it will still seem slow and buggy but when I restart again it will open up in safe mode and I will have to uninstall the drivers and am back at square one. Please help.
My rig:
Windows 7 32bit
Intel q6600 quad 2.4ghz
3gb DDR2 ram
600w Storm 'Ice' psu

More about : xfx 5750 problems

March 22, 2010 6:41:51 PM

Did you uninstall the drivers for your previous video card before putting in the new one? Also, are you using the latest ATI Catalyst drivers?

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
March 22, 2010 7:01:43 PM

isamuelson said:
Did you uninstall the drivers for your previous video card before putting in the new one? Also, are you using the latest ATI Catalyst drivers?

I have uninstalled previous drivers, I have used Driversweeper and cleared the older drivers and chipset. I have tried the latest ATI Catalyst drivers and am still getting the same problem.
Related resources
March 22, 2010 7:44:38 PM

You did hook up the 6-prong power line to the card, right?
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
March 22, 2010 7:51:34 PM

Yeah I have with and without the adapter, with the adapter absolutely nothing came up on the screen.
March 22, 2010 8:01:39 PM

Which adapter are you talking about? Also- can you give me some more info on your PSU- I can't find anything about it. I would imagine you have a 6pin pci-e power connector on that PSU and should plug it right into your video card. Your card WILL NOT run properly without that plugged in. If your PSU doesn't have one, then you will need a Molex-to-PCI-e 6 pin adapter.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
March 22, 2010 8:09:42 PM

flyinfinni said:
Which adapter are you talking about? Also- can you give me some more info on your PSU- I can't find anything about it. I would imagine you have a 6pin pci-e power connector on that PSU and should plug it right into your video card. Your card WILL NOT run properly without that plugged in. If your PSU doesn't have one, then you will need a Molex-to-PCI-e 6 pin adapter.

I am talking about the adapter that comes with the card, it is the same as the Molex-to-PCI-e 6 pin adapter. The PSU has a 6 pin power conector that I plugged straight into the card. TBH I can really tell you much about the psu, I ordered a fairly cheap 550w psu and I was sent a different one to the one I ordered and could not be bothered to send it back. It is worth around £20.
March 22, 2010 8:23:44 PM

ok. Use the straight up 6pin connector then- its better than using an adapter. You really shouldn't be having a problem with power since the 5750 BARELY needs the power connector anyway, but still- I would suggest getting a better PSU as it might help. Also- do you have a different computer to try your card in? You might have a problem with your windows installation, and you could have a problem with your video card, etc. I would not trust my system to that PSU though- too high a chance of failure and blowing more of your system.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
March 22, 2010 8:28:45 PM

I have another system, however the psu is 300w in that system, im not sure it would be safe to try it in that system. To me it feels like there is a problem with the drivers, or the compatibility with my system. When the drivers do install and I can use my computer properly, I have tried running battlefield bad company 2 on it and it seems to run perfectly fine. Its just when I restart my machine, its as if there are absolutely no drivers installed at all. I will see if I can invest in a new PSU and see if that makes a difference. And I might try and send the card back to see if that was the problem.
March 22, 2010 8:31:27 PM

Well, if the card works fine when you install the drivers, but then has issues when you restart the computer, then the card really doesn't sound like the issue. that sounds like a windows install issue. might be worth doing a reformat/reinstall of windows. Who knows- maybe even having a Hard drive issue.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
March 22, 2010 8:34:32 PM

Ok, I'll try re-installing windows. Will update. Thanks.
March 22, 2010 8:40:45 PM

no problem. Hope it works:-)
March 22, 2010 10:37:35 PM

Even those it's a 550w PSU, if you say it's a cheap one, then it could be a source of your problems. You should really find a brand name PSU. 500w is sufficient. 600 is definitely enough but definitely don't purchase some generic off-brand PSU.
March 22, 2010 10:42:50 PM

True- you could get a good quality (Corsair is a good one) 400-450W PSU and be good with a 5750.
April 4, 2010 12:11:21 PM

I have tried reinstalling windows and the problems are still there it has not changed. Anything else I can try?
!