Question re: Canon A95

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 5, 2004 9:47:25 PM

After reading several excellent reviews, I am buying a Canon A95 camera. One
of the "gripes" I have read is that they are made in China unlike prior "A"
series most of which were made in Japan.
Does anyone have any information as to the build quality of the new A95 made
in China?
Any constructive comments will be appreciated.
Thanks!
Matthew

More about : question canon a95

December 5, 2004 10:26:07 PM

Matthew wrote:

> After reading several excellent reviews, I am buying a Canon A95 camera. One
> of the "gripes" I have read is that they are made in China unlike prior "A"
> series most of which were made in Japan.
> Does anyone have any information as to the build quality of the new A95 made
> in China?
> Any constructive comments will be appreciated.
> Thanks!
> Matthew

The latest rumour is... Don't try to capture any images of military
tanks, they've added a filter in the sensor logic that protects users
from themselves. ;)

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous

So what if it is made in China? Canon is expected to keep up to its
promise of quality. Trust their quality control. Let it be made
anywhere. why bother?

I bought a A85 last month. Quite happy with it.
Related resources
December 6, 2004 4:58:24 AM

Matthew wrote:

>After reading several excellent reviews, I am buying a Canon A95 camera. One
>of the "gripes" I have read is that they are made in China unlike prior "A"
>series most of which were made in Japan.

I just bought an A75, and it was made in Malaysia. It works fine, and it
seems fairly well built. My first impression was the control dial and
adaptor cover feels cheap, as does the plastic housing. But since I
won't be throwing it any concrete walls, I'm not overly concerned
anymore. :)

The real concern is if it'll take good pictures or not, and in that
regard it's great. Granted, it's not a digital SLR, but it works well
for its intended purpose with a sharp lense and good exposures. I was
quite impressed with the image quality. It's only 3 megapixels, but
that's plenty for 4x6, 5x7 or even 8x10 prints. I believe the A series
all use the same lense system, so they should all take great pictures.

When I want to make sure I get the best pictures with lots of control
and more features, I grab my SLR. But for things like social gatherings,
parties, and trips, I'll be carrying around the A75.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 7:47:51 AM

To Bill and Rex, thanks for the constuctive comments....
To Jer and Era........thanks for the comedic thought useless responses
December 6, 2004 4:27:49 PM

Jer wrote:
> Matthew wrote:
>
>> After reading several excellent reviews, I am buying a Canon A95
>> camera. One
>> of the "gripes" I have read is that they are made in China unlike
>> prior "A"
>> series most of which were made in Japan.
>> Does anyone have any information as to the build quality of the new
>> A95 made
>> in China?
>> Any constructive comments will be appreciated.
>> Thanks!
>> Matthew
>

> The latest rumour is... Don't try to capture any images of military
> tanks, they've added a filter in the sensor logic that protects users
> from themselves. ;)

Arrange a "special upgrade" to have it "made in Japan" and pay US$150.00
more. Then when you take a pix of military installation, it would not
self distruct!
!