Sign in with
Your question

No Sound on ATI Radeon HD 4650 over HDMI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 22, 2010 7:05:47 PM

I just got a HD 4650 with an hdmi port on it, so i connect the HDMI cable to both ends and I can only get video. I followed some other threads, saying to disable onboard sound and I did but its like the sound isn't recognized on the sound devices

I'm running XP SP3
a b U Graphics card
March 22, 2010 7:11:28 PM

You have to manually set your default sound device to ATI High Definition Audio Device. You won't be able to use two sets of speakers at the same time.
m
l
April 3, 2010 3:33:26 AM

i see what you are saying but the problem is that the hdmi is not showing up as a sound device
m
l
Related resources
April 3, 2010 9:19:18 AM

okay try installing latest ati drivers.
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
April 3, 2010 3:31:23 PM

The sound drivers are not part of Catalyst. They must be downloaded and installed separately.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 3, 2010 3:40:11 PM

Really?

Never had to download anything other than the cat's IIRC. However it has been a while since I installed a new driver or catalyst software.
m
l
April 4, 2010 3:21:30 PM

jaguarskx said:
The sound drivers are not part of Catalyst. They must be downloaded and installed separately.

yes but we're talking about hdml cable and THAT'S part of catalyst.
m
l
April 12, 2010 8:11:09 PM

Exact same issue. First no video. Now suddenly hdmi video works. However on Control Panel -> Sound it showed ATi HDMI audio as not plugged in. I tried disabling it and now it doesn't come up at all.

Now windows doesn't find HDMI audio at all. Unable to enable it when it was present as it was always grayed out.
m
l
!